T'was the month before Christmas...New people Please Read

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I will start by saying the people I want to see this will never read it, unfortunately, but I just need to share it anyways.

T'was the month before Christmas and all through the General Scanning Forum we've seen an increase in "What Scanner Do I Get" posts. For all those considering asking this question, I hope you will keep this in mind, there are many types of frequencies, modes, and systems, and different scanners handle them differently.

There are many awesome and knowledgeable members who would like to help you, but, among there vast amount of knowledge, they can not read minds. If you are considering asking such a question, my first recommendation is you DO NOT post in the general scanning forum, but rather in the forum for the state the scanner will be used. Secondly, include information on where it will be used, (city, county and most importantly state), and share what you want to listen to (police, sheriff, state police, fire, EMS, civilian or military air, businesses, etc). Without this information any suggestions are just a guess and may or may not result in correct recommendations.

Finally, keep in mind new scanners aren't cheap, but there are cheaper options available. Prices range from a $30 SDR to the top of the line SDS models from Uniden costing $700+, and many in between. No one on here (that I've seen) are making money off their recommendations, they are simply trying to suggest what will work for you. There may be multiple suggestions, read all of them to understand better and follow up with research of your own (mentioned in next paragraph).

There is also a wealth of information in these forums and the Radio Reference database and Wiki. Please use the Radioreference.com search and the forums search to find more information. If you follow these steps you'll be able to find products that will work for you and make everyone happier this holiday season.

pb_lonny

The issue is that often people will come here AFTER they have purchased a scanner, which in the end might not be suitable for their area or needs.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The issue is that often people will come here AFTER they have purchased a scanner, which in the end might not be suitable for their area or needs.
Unfortunately, you are correct. Far too often, we see see a number of posts after the holidays, with newly gifted scanner owners (or those who gave the gifts) asking for help to program a scanner that, unfortunately, is unsuited for the intended recipient. The scanner community is better off when more people become interested, rather than discouraged.

kkoether

Well.... I must be an odd ball! :) My wife has been wanting a scanner for a while now. I've been out of radio since my CB days in the early 80's. I found this forum and started reading. After enough research I settled on the Uniden SDS200 due to about 98% of what she was interested in listening to was on the Ohio MARCS-IP trunked system. I also figure it is somewhat future proof for now. I was able to through some trial and error get it programed to listen to that system in our area of Huber Heights, OH. Now I starting to read to learn how to use the available filters to improve my reception. I also have Proscan setup and working so we can listen via our android devices from different rooms in the house. My wife is disabled and can't get into her powerchair without assistance. She's quite happy with it so far. Thanks everyone for the help so far!