• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Two programming questions for TK-8180

Status
Not open for further replies.

uuacallis

I am using the Kenwood TK-8180 in a STM-32 DVM MMDVM Hotspot for my DMR Ham Radio.

I have two challenges that I cannot seem to figure out and hoping you guys that use KPG-89d a lot more than I will know.

1) How can I disable the front speaker when the Aux Port is in Use - Everytime my hand held is connecting to the hostpot I hear the DMR Noise on the speaker despite that the Aux cable is hooked up.

2) How can I allow the transmitter cycle to go longer. Sometimes these guys on the rag chew keep talking for upwards of 90 seconds before they take a breath. The problem with that is that at around 60 seconds the radio makes a loud noise and won't stop.

thanks in advance,
Adam

ohiohonda

1) You may be able to program a Public Address (PA) button to mute the speaker from receiving audio. I have not used this before and it may not allow the radio to receive traffic for your hotspot while enabled but its worth a try.

2) Increase the TOT ( time out timer). This feature is within the Zone edit tab. Default is set for 60 seconds.

uuacallis

1) You may be able to program a Public Address (PA) button to mute the speaker from receiving audio. I have not used this before and it may not allow the radio to receive traffic for your hotspot while enabled but its worth a try.

2) Increase the TOT ( time out timer). This feature is within the Zone edit tab. Default is set for 60 seconds.

Thanks, the TOT fixed that issue and I figured out how to set min volume to 0 so I can turn it down.

Two last issues I am hoping you guys may be able to help with -

It seems that if I program the channel for Narrow frequency my DMR radio cannot decode the transmission (despite being set for 12.5khz), if I set it to wide it works.

For HAM I guess I don’t much care, I can use 25khz channel, however I also am trying to work on a business itinerant frequency for work that we must be on narrow per our license. Any ideas why that would happen on the TK-8180:K model ?

Second issue is one of my TK-8180s has the special firmware and cannot be programmed with KPG89d. I am trying to figure out how to reflash it so I have one programming software vs two.

ohiohonda

Without knowing how the hotspot interfaces with the radio it is difficult to determine what would be causing the narrow/wide band difference. I assume that you modified the settings in the radio software to accommodate interfacing the hotspot to the DB25 connector in the rear of the radio. You could trying and set the mic sense to high within the programming software (Extended functions>Aux>Mic Sense).

The firmware is changed by the program called Fpro. This software is installed in the same location that the .exe file is for the programming software. You will need to locate a firmware compatible with the radio. Launch the Fpro software and point the software to the firmware on your computer. The radio will need to be set in firmware program mode before it will except the new firmware. Hold the S key while powering the radio on will set it for firmware program mode. Be careful with loading new firmware because this is a easy way to make the radio a paper weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.