two radios on one feed???

Status
Not open for further replies.

k6bsr

Hello all. I am using oddcast and want to play separate radios on the two channels, but not sure exactly how to go about it. Can I just use a splitter to separate the left and right channel audio at back of soundcard and then use a different cable for each radio? Basically I want to stream ham channels on left side while streaming Police/fire on right. Also, is discriminator audio the same as line level? Please help me before I do something silly like spend money that I don't need to...

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
I tried that way... even tried putting one radio on the left channel and the other on the right. Never could get it to work right. Then somebody suggested adding extra sound cards. When I added a sound card... it disabled the motherboard sound. I ended up buying 3 cheap different brand sound cards... and now I'm streaming 3 scanners from one PC. For software... I'm using two of the Oddcast sent to me by RadioReference... and ScannerCast so I can stream talkgroups. My 3rd stream is not 24/7 as I'm nervous about my bandwidth use.

n0nhp

The oddcast encoder that Gordon sent me has a spot in the setup for stereo. I am feeding two scanner separated left and right.
You can buy an inexpensive stereo 3mm plug to dual RCA cable at any electronics outlet, then adapt to the mono 3mm plug out of the scanner.
Most of the scanner line level outputs are controlled from the "recording" flag in the programming so every channel you want to feed must have that flag set. I have had pretty good luck by using the ext speaker / headphone out and keeping the volume set low on the scanners. That will eliminate local listening to the scanners without turning the monitor feature on on the computer doing the feed. To mitigate having knobs turned and levels messed with I have placed my setup in a back corner of the basement on a dedicated computer (given to me by someone who was upgrading and wanted to get rid of an old 500MHz computer).
Do not use a discriminator out as there will be no muting between transmissions.
Most computer microphone inputs are mono, use an auxiliary input, if you don't have an external aux, the cables that go to the analog connectors of internal CD decks are available at most computer shops or even can be unplugged from the back of the cd in the computer. Put a stereo panel mount jack on it through a convenient vent hole in the chassis and set your mixer accordingly.

Bruce

k6bsr

Thanx guys

Thanks to Homer and double thanks to N0NHP! Bruce you actually helped me with my Echolink node as well. I was having nothing but problems trying to get my Tigertronics signalink to work with my Yaesu FT-450 on FM using the data jack on back of radio. That's because the audio is straight from the discriminator circuit in rig! Now that I know, I can re-configure with an audio plug from the speaker out and fire up my Echolink RF node! And who said ham radio and computers don't mix!? Thanks again to both of you guys and I hope I can help in the future. I'm not the brightest bulb, but may be able to illuminate a shadow you did'nt;)

Status
Not open for further replies.