TwoToneDetect Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
i have not used the program yet, but here is my question -
when audio is recorded for a predetermined amount, 30 seconds, is that 30 seconds running time on the local PC or 30 seconds of recorded audio (transmissions only, which could take more than 30 seconds of real time)?

All recording is real-time, not VOX. It will record silence as part of the record time.

btritch

Error?

I downloaded the program, However when I open it I get an error message, It says:

The VI is no executable. The full development version of LabVIEW is required to fix the errors.
What do I do now?

ncarpenter

Premium Subscriber
Andy, I've got to hand it to you...this is one sweet program...and the fact that you are keeping it free to use win you MAJOR points!!!

There is just one request I would have, hopefully it would be a small one since so many have already been given!

Is there a way that in the 'Send To Email Address' form, you could add more than one email address for a set of tones? Example:
Send To Email Address: email@provider.com, email2@provider.com (using the comma as a separator). This way, for one station I can send to just me, but for another station I could email myself as well as a friend at a nearby station!

If it can't be worked out, or your too busy, no worries...this is still on my top10 list of radio monitoring software! Thank you so much for taking time for us! Now if only we could get Win96 in a free version! :wink:

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Hey everyone, sorry for not responding to all of the messages. For some reason the email notification of threads got messed up and I didn't realize there was activity. I'll look into some of the suggestions and requests posted when I get some time, but it probably won't be until Christmas break when I'm sitting around at the in-laws without anything else to do :lol:

Andy

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Actually, what these guys (and SecondSignal, Codespear, and others) do is slightly different. Instead of sending an email, they call your cell phone and play the audio over the phone. Doing this requires dedicated phone circuits, which is why they charge a fee for the service.

Andy

N0ZJT

Database Admin
I just wanted to say how much I love this software. I have the emails sent to an account that I can access with my Blackberry. No matter where I am, I will always hear the page within a minute of the actual radio page.

Thank you again

aaknitt

Feed Provider
New Version Available

I've uploaded a new version that fixes a specific bug that a user found. If you were trying to detect a long tone that was the same as one of the "A" tones in a two-tone set, the program would always identify the two-tone set as the long tone, even though it was actually detecting the two-tone set. This newest version fixes that bug.

I'm working on cleaning up and commenting the code before I release it openly. I'll probably make a few other minor tweaks over the holidays.

Andy

MTRFD

Hey guys, Great program aaknitt!!
I have it detecting the tones and recording everytime, works excellent. The problem I have is that it is not sending the email. Im sure it is something I am doing but its driving me crazy. I have tried on two different computers thinking it was a virus software problem, but still nothing. It says its sending and sometimes takes forever then other times it's real quick but I never receive them in my box. I am using the departments email thru Godaddy.
Can anybody tell me what they should be , before I pull the rest of my hair out. Ha . Im sure it something easy! Thanks in advance

jpryor

Having fun with this program as well, but no luck with email either. I have tried a couple different SMTP servers that work fine with my Outlook. Not sure if I need the ability to do SSL or another port. How is the Gmail function supposed to work? Should I see a 'gmail' option under Email Service? I just have 'non-authenticated' and 'authenticated' options.

I did find an easy way to trigger test pages. I have set a long tone for 120 Hz (AC Hum) and push the Audio Threshold low enough to detect that as a page. It easily creates an audio file, but still no luck with email.

I did setup the data folder to be available via my webserver, so I can easily access the audio files, but would like to get the email working as well.

Jeff KC8NNO

aaknitt

Feed Provider
If you're having problems with email, check to make sure your firewall our router isn't blocking outgoing smtp ports. That's been an issue with a few people. Other than that, gmail should work just fine with the "authenticated" option.

Andy

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Also keep in mind that the authenticated email feature requires the .NET framework to be installed. This comes standard with Vista, but may need to be installed if you're running XP and haven't ever needed to install it before. You can get it here.

jpryor

Ok, after another reboot and tweaking some of the settings last night, I did manage to get the email portion working.

If I have two sound cards in one computer, will I be able to run two copies of Two Tone Detect simultaneously? Right now I am scanning between two frequencies and there is a little bit of unwanted interaction.

Here are some other random thoughts for enhancements, some of these have been previously mentioned:

Use some type of vox for recording audio (use audio thresh hold settings?). Essentially out of the 30 second record time, don't include audio when a signal is not present. And maybe even some kind of time out timer variable setting, if there is not a signal after the tones drop, or initial dispatch audio for x seconds (but still within the total record time) don't include that additional audio in the page. Also if more sets of tones are detected after the time out time expires, should then be able to trigger another page.

The ability to change the location of the data directory, or at least separate the non audio files from the audio files. Also the ability to auto archive old audio alerts in date/time named archive directories on daily basis or other time/size basis. (I'll probably be writing my own solution to this in the time being.)

Ability to specify more tone sets. I'm not sure what an appropriate maximum number should be, but it seems once the actual tone frequencies are detected, whether there is a list of 10 possibilities or 100 possibilities, that part should not take that much more time. Also the possibly of detecting other types of tones (Motorola analog/digital trunking alert tones). It can probably detect the constant frequency long alert tone (basic runs), but there is a high-low warble alert tone that I'd like to be able to capture (structure fires).

A better way to setup and diagnose email. Probably just needs to be a test page button, and/or some type of error feedback if it can be detected that the email is not working completely.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks,
Jeff KC8NNO

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
I sent Andy an email last night but figured I would post here and contribute to the thread.

First off I would like to thank Andy on this great program and also on his tutorial on determining the tones used by your departments using Audacity.

The only problem I had was after the install and starting the Two Tone Decode software the program would just freeze and couldn't be killed even in the task manager. This was solved by changing the default playback and record device in my sound properties as I have 3 sound cards installed.

I am running 2 instances of the program with all the tone fields full on both and haven't had any problems yet sharing the same sound card. I may try running a 3rd instance or even break up the different FD frequencies between 2 different scanners using 2 different sound cards.

The only feature I would like to see is the ability to have more tone fields or maybe even just have the software compare the tones heards to a .txt file with all the various departments and tone frequencies listed in there. I have 4 or 5 large Counties surrounding me with a dozen or so volunteer departments that I would like to scan.

I think this is a great tool to be able to have all the rural calls be emailed to me so I can focus more on listening to the major urban centres with out worries of missing something big. We all know all the serious MVA's happen in the rural areas where the speeds are higher and it is great knowing a called won't be missed.

I also tested the tones being decode by the software by generating various tones into my scanner from 300hz to 1000hz and only say .5hz error which I adjusted with the slider.

How does the program determine which field is the closest match when the margine of error is close between 2 fields and what is tolerance of error between what is in the field and what is actually being decoded?

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Feedback Needed

Ok, so I need some feedback from everyone. A few people have requested that the tone sets, descriptions, and email addresses be specified in a text file so that more tone sets could be supported. Keep in mind that you can currently detect as many tone sets as you'd like by running multiple instances of the program. However, I could revamp the program so that the tone sets are specified via text or spreadsheet file. If I do this, though, I would discontinue having them configurable via the main user interface. Which would you prefer? Configurable via the user interface ("as-is") or via text file? Feedback is appreciated.

Andy

jpryor

I like the flexibility and visibility of having the tone settings in the interface. And now that I have setup two instances of the program from just my one sound card, I'm able to get in all the additional tones I was looking to include at this time.

Is there a way to have a table and a scroll bar in the interface so if there are more than ten, we could scroll up and down or something to that effect? And then just tie that table in the interface to the config file so people can edit there as well if they'd like. The config file could also be in a CSV type format or at least a tone setting on every line to make it a little more friendly to manual editing.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Which ever solution provided the most amount of tone and email options in a single session is the solution I would most favour.

Don't get me wrong though - I am grateful for what we already have.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
How about the best of both worlds? Leave the interface as-is with the default 10 and 3, but provide a check box that would direct the program to ignore those tones stored in the config file, and instead use an external file. Users who don't need more than the default amount can continue to use the interface, and those that need more would instead have to use an external file.

The trouble with adding more fields to the interface is, at what number do you stop adding additional fields? What if someone wants to set the program up with 500 tones? Might seem like a lot to us, but maybe not to that person. Even if the interface were scrollable, it still doesn't solve the question of how many fields does he add. With an external file, it would theoretically provide infinite tone set.

I'm running the program on an older computer, which doesn't really like running more than one instance of the program simultaneously. I understand that on a faster machine I could run more than one instance without much trouble, but I would hope you'd keep those of us that might have a dedicated older machine doing this work in mind.

Lastly, while I think it would be easier to maintain a spreadsheet file of the additional tones, I'm not sure if that gives the best compatibility for all users that a .txt file would. I would echo jpryor's request that if you do decide to go with a .txt file, have it csv with each entry on its own line.

1500.0,850.0,Tone Set 1,tone1@domain.com
2000.0,1000.0,Tone Set 2,tone2@domain.com
etc.

MTRFD

Hey guys I'm back again. Got it to send the emails now through gmail, and that part is now working everytime also.
My problem now is opening the mp3 on my blackberry either as an email or mms. The attachment is there and it says "unrecognized document format" when it is opened. Now I forwarded it from my bb right back to my bb and then it plays no problem everytime. I don't know if this is something I don't have right in gmail or what I'm missing. I have used snooper in the past , so I tried it without gmail and the attachment opens on the bb from the sent message the first time. Please experts help me out!

Sorry for all the troubles. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.