TYCO Electronics Announces Next Generation M/A-COM OpenSky Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Latest Advancements in OpenSky Technology Enable Users to Efficiently Migrate from Analog to Digital Communications, Resulting in Greater Capacity

UTC TELECOM 2007, AUSTIN, TX – May 7, 2007 – Tyco Electronics announced today that its M/A-COM business, a worldwide leader in critical radio communications systems, has enhanced the OpenSky platform to improve mobile coverage for critical communications, further enabling users of traditional analog 800MHz and 900MHz communications systems to cost-effectively migrate to an OpenSky digital communications platform. The migration to two-slot, IP-based OpenSky technology occurs on the existing analog system’s physical infrastructure, more than doubles the capacity for voice and data communications, and maintains the same mobile radio coverage provided by the existing system. More information on OpenSky can be found at the Tyco Electronics M/A-COM Radio Systems booth at the UTC Expo, #201.

“With many utility wireless systems facing the end of their product lifecycles, we have developed a relatively easy way for agencies to upgrade to a digital communications network, while utilizing the communication infrastructure that is already in place,” said Tom Hoyne, director, utility markets, Tyco Electronics. “Migrating to the OpenSky system adds a tremendous amount of capacity for voice and data communications, without sacrificing any mobile radio coverage. As a result of this field-tested enhancement to OpenSky, which was verified on an existing utility system, utilities and public safety agencies can gracefully upgrade to reliable, IP-based technology, at a pace their budget allows.”

This next generation of OpenSky is usable with both the 25KHz (800) and 12.5KHz (900) channels. The result is, when operating in 2-slot mode, the system can match an existing 800MHz or 900MHz analog footprint for forward and reverse mobile radio coverage. Users gain the features of digital communications, including fully integrated voice and data on a single radio, without the need to add or move existing tower sites. The embedded control micro-slots in every forward channel eliminate the need for dedicated control channels, thereby freeing up additional channels even after the capacity has been doubled. These can be used to actually improve upon existing coverage by retrofitting inexpensive pole-mounted, low-profile sites.

OpenSky technology offers digital voice and packet data communications using a high-performance IP backbone network. OpenSky’s high quality digital voice trunking capabilities and packet data communications features directly address the needs of both utility and public safety users, and are capable of expanding to meet future requirements. In addition, OpenSky networks are based on the widely-accepted IS-732 protocol to support mobile applications with end-to-end TCP/IP connectivity, simplifying application-to-network integration.

http://www.macom-wireless.com/news/pressdetail.asp?id=136
[/FONT]

n4voxgill

Silent Key
With many utility wireless systems facing the end of their product lifecycles, we have developed a relatively easy way for agencies to upgrade to a digital communications network

so they are offering a more expensive upgrade to provoice digital instead of remaining analog.

N

N_Jay

n4voxgill said:
With many utility wireless systems facing the end of their product lifecycles, we have developed a relatively easy way for agencies to upgrade to a digital communications network

so they are offering a more expensive upgrade to provoice digital instead of remaining analog.

Its not Pro-voice.

It is 2 slot OpenSky.

As far as I have heard this is nothing new except they are offering a 900 MHz product since many utilities have 900 MHz systems.

P.S. IS7832 is just CDPD, an obsolete cellular standard.

Last edited:

Josh

This whole thing is funny... coming up with something new when they never even perfected the OpenSky stuff they were already peddling.

-Josh

Premium Subscriber
it's very impressive

I have a meeting with MA/COM May 21st at 10:00am, upgrading a utility on a 900mhz analog to the same platform, all the data I have seen to date is very impressive, as a former skeptic on MA/COM, there 900mhz analog has been a pleasure to work with.

N

N_Jay

Josh said:
This whole thing is funny... coming up with something new when they never even perfected the OpenSky stuff they were already peddling.

-Josh

Don't worry, its not "new"!

K7CB

Premium Subscriber
"Tyco Electronics announced today that its M/A-COM business, a worldwide leader in critical radio communications systems"

Worldwide leader? I don't think so. Sounds like Tyco has delusions of self importance. Having worked with both Motorola and M/A-COM radios since 1993, I think M/A-COM is crap. Many of the officers I speak with think the same thing.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Yeah...
MACOM and its former life GE/Ericcsson have always been the public safety communications minority when compared to Motorola. This is because so many different brands of radios are compatible with Moto systems. Motorola is also WAY older and has more of a track record than MACOM. On top of that, all of Moto's systems are compliant with the latest standards, while MACOM has tried to play "Dr. Innovation" and force naive and unsuspecting agencies to pay millions for systems that are partially unproven and non-compliant. MACOM is also charging outrageous prices for parts for their older radios, which has forced many shops (including one here in Bryan) to stop servicing MACOM radios simply because of the prices of parts.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
At what point does [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]M/A-COM start caring about interoperability ? :roll:
[/FONT]

D

DaveNF2G

MACOM defines "P25 compliant" differently from everyone else. Their system is "compliant" if it can be linked as transparently as possible to other systems. That's what makes P25IP so insidious.

N

N_Jay

DaveNF2G said:
MACOM defines "P25 compliant" differently from everyone else. Their system is "compliant" if it can be linked as transparently as possible to other systems. That's what makes P25IP so insidious.

No they don't. (Find one example)

P25IP is M/A-COM's brand name fore their P25 line.
It is just as P25 compatible(compliant) as the rest of the market.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does that mean if I buy an M/A - COM radio, I can make it work on a /\/\otorola P25 system? Does M/A - COM's programming software require a system key ?

N

N_Jay

JohnnyGalaga said:
Does that mean if I buy an M/A - COM radio, I can make it work on a /\/\otorola P25 system? Does M/A - COM's programming software require a system key ?

Yes, it can be made to work, and to the best of my knowledge, there is no "System Key" for P25 programming.

(That is not to say that there is not a "system Key" for programming Motorola subscribers.)

SCPD

QRT
Hi Lou. I think I can cover this one.

All P25 radios have a serial number. The trunking controller can demand that the radio give up it's serial number. The number is set at the time of manufacture. It's very similar to an ESN in a cellular phone.

I don't know what MA/COM's P25 programming software requires (probably something like a system key in the form of a smart card).

You should also know that P25 radios support a remote key-up. The trunking controller can send a command to the radio that causes it the transmit audio for a finite amount of time (say 15 seconds or so).

The only way I know to prevent a P25 radio from affiliating is to place it in conventional mode.

[ Don't tell folks "No, you can't do that" ... tell 'em WHY it won't work. They'll move on to something more interesting. ]

-rick

lawman349

!

Josh said:

-Josh

AMEN!

While they continue to steal money from Pennsyltucky and others, they pretend they have a "solution" to an easy upgrade.

More "bait" from a company who has been peddling "fishing stroies" for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.