Typical Minnesota PSAP Fire Protocols

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
The recent fire posts here now have me wondering the following:

-Do most Minnesota PSAPs simulcast the fire page on an analog VHF frequency AND an ARMER talkgroup?

-How many PSAPs have more than one VHF frequencies for paging? (It looks like Saint Louis and Lake Counties for sure. Who else?)

-If so, is it usually a fire main talk-group or is it a talk-group just for paging/alerting?

-Do most places have the analog VHF fire frequency patch the talk-group's radio traffic so the firefighters can monitor on their VHF pagers?

-Are you hearing anything or anybody other than fire service being paged on the VHF frequencies? For example, are any of the private EMS units being paged, like a fire department, anywhere in Minnesota?

-Are any of the sheriff's rescue squads, like Saint Louis County Sheriff's Rescue Squad, being paged like a fire department?

-Are outdoor warning sirens still being activated on fire frequencies anywhere around Minnesota?

When replying, please list which PSAP you are referring to. If it is Scott County PSAP, say it. If it is Carlton County PSAP, state that.

I am assuming that it might vary a bit from place to place. For example, I suspect some PSAPs assign a fire department to a talk-group that is NOT the main fire talk-group immediately because that is their SOP. And, I suspect others keep everything on the main fire talk-group until something prompts them to move.

Finally, which fire services in Minnesota are NOT carrying VHF high band pagers?

Certainly Minneapolis and Saint Paul Fire are not, I assume.

I recall reading that Eden Prairie remains VHF low band, for the moment.

Is Rochester Fire carrying UHF pagers or is that just for station alerting?

Also, I assume it is the full-time fire departments that aren't typically operating the same as the part-time fire departments. Would other larger, full time fire departments even bother with pagers for call backs? For example, Duluth Fire and Virginia Fire are probably getting a lot of runs in each year. Would off-duty firefighters there be issued VHF pagers these days?

Last edited:

fwfdengine2

Hennepin:

Dispatched on HFMAIN, VHF and ARMER are hard patched. Members and firehouses either use two-tones for alerting or DTMF tones in a few cases. Single dept incidents are handled on their ops channel which is not monitored by dispatch. Any additional needs from dispatch would be done on the main. Multiple dept incidents are handled on HFIRE channels once on scene. Each incident is assigned 2 channels, 1 for operations and another which is reserved for emergencies. An third HFIRE channel is sometimes assigned for tanker operations/staging. Fire depts use apps such as active911 to alert as well.

Rochester:

Firehouse alerting is via IP/UHF. The Westnet First-In pre-alert comes via IP. Then the dispatch message comes about 10 seconds later via UHF. The UHF frequency hears only the dispatcher side of ARMER FD DISP. FD DISP is channel 1 on the ARMER radios and plays only the dispatch message from Westnet First-In. Single unit responses are handled on FD DISP. Multiple unit responses are assigned to an ops, usually FD OP2. Members carry pagers which are on the Olmstead Co freq. for emergency call-backs. Usually at 0700 and 1900 each day there is a non-emergency page for staffing/overtime. RFD also utilizes edispatches for call-backs. Automated dispatch is slowly in the works.

Eden Prairie:

Firehouse alerting done via VHF Low band. The Comtech10 alerting system activates lights and speakers in the alerted firehouse. The dispatcher assigns a fire ground to every incident. Historically, the fire ground assignment would be based off of which firehouse was closest. Now, the fire ground always starts with EP-FGND1. A second incident at the same time would be on EP-FGND2. VHF Low band pagers are carried by members for off-duty callbacks. Active911 is also used. Soon an automated dispatch voice will be implemented and Minitor 6 VHF high pagers will be issued.

JASII

Memory Capacity
...Members and firehouses either use two-tones for alerting or DTMF tones in a few cases...

Thank you for the information. That brings up another question, too. What fire pagers are typically being used for DTMF? My understanding is that Motorola Minitors won't do DTMF, so it must be a competitor.

fwfdengine2

Thank you for the information. That brings up another question, too. What fire pagers are typically being used for DTMF? My understanding is that Motorola Minitors won't do DTMF, so it must be a competitor.

Two tone alerting is done via pagers, usually Motorola. Minnetonka, Saint Anthony and Brooklyn Park use DTMF in addition to two tone. I would assume that they have a receiver of some sort in the firehouse to open speakers and turn on lights, etc.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Washington county seems to just simulcast their fire main on the VHF paging channel.

Ramsey county seems to just have the automated pages on the VHF and everything else goes to an ops channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.