• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT Decision... MD-UV390 GPS or MD_2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to pull the trigger on a DMR HT. Would like Dual Band, GPS and durability. I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to the TYT MD-UV390 or the MD-2017. What are the differences between the two radios? I have heard that the SMA connector on the 2017 is flimsy. (Is this true?) Are there any other radios in the marketplace that I should be considering? Between the 390 and 2017 does one hold more alpha-numeric characters per channel name than the other? Is either radio capable of monitoring 151.3475 Mhz? (Odd question but not a deal breaker) I've been researching these as much as my free time allows but still have questions. Any help with these would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I own multiple Dual-Band DMR HT radios.
  1. TYT MD-2017
  2. Radioddity GD-77
  3. Ailunce HD-1
I actually prefer them in reverse order to the above though.

Hemix

Hello, I'm interested in if on MD UV390, I can listen to both bands analog at the same time? or they are always just combined bands so that the first band is analog and other is digital.
20190409_064749.jpg

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
To my knowledge, all dual-band DMR handheld radios use a single receiver with two frequency displays. This means that the radio quickly scans between both displayed channels and locks onto the first signal that it sees. Unlike some true dual-receive radios, you cannot receive both channels at the same time.

I don't have a UV390, but my other various DMR handhelds share a single memory channel structure and will allow analog/DMR/VHF/UHF channels to be selected on either the upper or lower display.

As to my recommendation, I believe that the Alinco MD5 or the Anytone 868 or 878 are currently the most polished of the Chinese handheld DMR radios.

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
As to my recommendation, I believe that the Alinco MD5 or the Anytone 868 or 878 are currently the most polished of the Chinese handheld DMR radios.
I added an Anytone 868 to my collection several months ago. I agree that it is far superior to even the Ailunce HD-1.

ke6gcv

I have an AnyTone AT-D868UV and a TYT MD-2017.

Though I do like the feel of the TYT, the AnyTone is my DMR radio of choice. The AnyTone is far easier to use, in my opinion.

The only complaint I have about the AnyTone, however, is the slick knobs. I wish they had ridges for better grip.

Hemix

thanks for the opinions and answers. could the gps function be turned off at the radio because right now i dont need it, but never know when will came useful. (i will use radio for fire service not hamradio)

ke6gcv

thanks for the opinions and answers. could the gps function be turned off at the radio because right now i dont need it, but never know when will came useful. (i will use radio for fire service not hamradio)

For the AnyTone AT-D868UV and the TYT MD-2017, yes it can be turned off at the radio. Just have to dig through the menu as you can't program the buttons on the radio to cycle the GPS. I know for the AnyTone AT-D868UV, you can set a button for GPS information but don't know if that allows for the GPS to be power cycled. I don't use GPS, so I don't have a need to set a button. Both radios, however, can have the GPS disabled using the programming application.

I couldn't help but focus on two key words in your post: Fire Service. If you're looking for a radio specific for fire service, then one that is designed primarily for Amateur radio is not recommended. You need a commercial grade radio such as Motorola, Kenwood, Tait, etc. Commercial radios are designed specifically to handle the duty cycle of public service like firefighting or law enforcement. BUT! That is just my thoughts/opinions. Your mileage may vary.

Ubbe

Commercial radios are designed specifically to handle the duty cycle of public service like firefighting or law enforcement.
Yes, the duty cycle of TX-RX. It would be a distaster if a firefighter where reporting vital info from a scene and after a while his radio got overheated and stopped working. No such requirements from ham gear. The 2017 and 868 are direct conversion receivers that cannot select out a weak signal among strong ones and are worse than most conventional scanners. The MD380 and some other single band radios are better than most, if not all, scanners as they use conventional heterodyn receivers with tracking RF filters like all professional radios.

/Ubbe

Hemix

Thank you for your advice. We are a small voluntary fire department with limited money. We have some motorola radios for leaders of intervention and for other firefighters we have wouxungs KG UVD1P, and they are very good, we are very satisfied with them, but they works only in analogue. Our state is now building a dmr network and we are looking for alternative to motorola and other expensive professional radios, we looking for good and not so expensive dmr radios. we are not in such a hurry, so i asume it is better to wait and look for best radio for reasonable price

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
It sounds as if it might be wise to wait until the state system is ready. This initial group of inexpensive DMR radios is relatively new. They may well improve, or they may slowly fade away. The state system might also have certain specific technical requirements in order for radios to be connected to it and the current radios might not meet those requirements.

ke6gcv

It sounds as if it might be wise to wait until the state system is ready. This initial group of inexpensive DMR radios is relatively new. They may well improve, or they may slowly fade away. The state system might also have certain specific technical requirements in order for radios to be connected to it and the current radios might not meet those requirements.

Definitely recommend waiting until further is known. And yes, you're correct about your local/state government. There's more than likely specific requirements that DMR doesn't meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.