• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT MD-2017 Heads Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kb2Jpd

You cannot be serious - every time you want to programme a radio you need a fresh install of the OS? Totally crazy.

The USB serial chips are sending tiny amounts of data on an ancient protocol that doesn't stretch a computer whatsoever! The issues with the ability to programme the radios are simply because the Usb to serial conversion is usually done on a very cheap IC that mimics the operation of the original one. Things have moved on with the original, and the drivers most of these Chinese radios are using is very dated, and the modern versions of Windows detect the driver is nowhere near the latest one, and replace it from the driver database - assuming that the latest one is the best one. The updated driver is fine on the latest genuine chip, but very flaky on the copies based on the very old versions. Using a separate computer to programme radios is what many of us do simply because of the hassle with windows 7,8 and 10. A new install of Windows is a simply ludicrous solution to poorly produced chips and old drivers. I dedicated a computer to radios simply because I had an old laptop laying around - but I can use another older Vista computer with loads of stuff on it perfectly, no need for a new OS. My other computers just hate programming some radios - My Icons and Kenwoods are fine on Windows any version. Kirisun works on most, TYT on about half and the few counterfeit Kenwoods I bought by mistake only work on two of the computers - XP and Vista. I can force windows 8 to load the legacy driver and then it works, but on next boot up, it puts the newer one back. The Baofengs are all a bit different - all work with the old computers, but even messing with drivers is unreliable with the 888s, ok on the 5s.

Is it more like you are too lazy just to make a bootable usb drive, do the OS install on it, add the programming software, label it for the radio you desire, then put it in a safe place along with the USB programming cable.

If you want people to read your posts, keep it short and sweet, you sound like a 80 meter windbag .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulears

Sorry - thought we were adults capable of reading factual stuff and I didn't know I had to dumb down to ensure some people would be able to understand it.

I will try it again for you.

Do not install a new OS to programme your radios - it is STUPID. Like buying a new car because the remould tyres keep going flat.

Was that still too hard?

Here's an even easier version.

Computers are clever - they can do lots of things apart from programming radios.

Is it more like you are too lazy just to make a bootable usb drive, do the OS install on it, add the programming software, label it for the radio you desire, then put it in a safe place along with the USB programming cable.
You want to use a bootable drive, with an OS on it just to programme a radio. The world is going mad - how much wasted effort is that?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, please tone it down. There's no need to call each other names in the forum.

KG6GTH

Premium Subscriber
Working Fine on WIN-7

I am running windows-7 and software is working fine.. I finally did the firmware update... Got the discounted price was like $179ish.. Picked up a spare battery and speaker mic on Ebay... For the price I paid total, not bad...Its definitely has some issues, but for this price I am not *****ing... I will ***** about the software, would be nice to enter frees in an Excel type format.... Oh well... Good Luck All!

-Sean

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, And new firmware came out 7/7/2017 for the MD 2017. Be sure to get ver 1.16 of the programming software because that will read codeplugs from the MD 380.

I got my shiny new MD-2017 in this morning's mail. It's a good thing I got to it before it started raining! Now I just need to d/l the software and get this puppy programmed. :cool:

troy201

R&L

Hey guys,

the $149.00 price is still good from R&L, ordered mine yesterday. I am coming off a code plug from the 390 which was a 380 in the first place. I'm hoping updating the firmware and the 1.16 programming software will allow me to load the codeplug and build from there on the new 2017. thanks

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
For everyone's information, TYT released another firmware update on Tuesday (July 11, 2017) that includes the ability to load the entire amateur radio DMR user database (65486 as of this morning) into the MD-2017, and adds a menu item that allows the radio to access the info and display it when a ham's CC7 code is received. http://www.tyt888.com/uploadfile/upfiles/20170711144846.zip

19955948_1641045159238859_3814080320376072995_o.jpg

N2AL

For everyone's information, TYT released another firmware update on Tuesday (July 11, 2017) that includes the ability to load the entire amateur radio DMR user database (65486 as of this morning) into the MD-2017, and adds a menu item that allows the radio to access the info and display it when a ham's CC7 code is received. http://www.tyt888.com/uploadfile/upfiles/20170711144846.zip

View attachment 60291

Fancy. Looks like TYT has copied from the MD380tools playbook! Although after using 'tools I still am accustomed to he features provided.

Thanks for the information and 73!

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Well, the VHF works just fine, but I'm having difficulty with the UHF DMR operation. TG#2 (true local) on chan1 will only be heard when rollerballing between chan4 and chan5, and then only if someone is already talking.

I've seen nothing in the codeplug to account for this so far.

As for the new firmware and ability to import a full .csv file with all contacts, I think I'll hold off on that until someone who can write comprehensible English posts some detailed explanation. ;)

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider

View attachment 60291

Wow I like your CSV file better than the one I used. Is it World Wide?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Oh my, it seems that one has to have Excel installed before the .csv file can be read, formatted, and uploaded to the radio.

teufler

when I load in the new firm,ware, the install bar goes about 1/2 way, steady climb to that point, then in hangs there rfor while, the displays successful. Still no database info displayed. Same as before. using window 7, I sent from 1.13 to 1.17.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
when I load in the new firm,ware, the install bar goes about 1/2 way, steady climb to that point, then in hangs there rfor while, the displays successful. Still no database info displayed. Same as before. using window 7, I sent from 1.13 to 1.17.

For the MD 2017:

Firmware is 3.033

CPS is 1.17

And even after you update the firmware to the 3.33 CSV firmware NOT the 3.33 REC firmware, You still have to IMPORT a CSV file of contacts and write them to the radio. Not to mention turning on CSV Contacts in the radio Utility menu.

What I did was went to DMR MARC and did a data dump of the world DMR contacts. Converted it to a CSV file which was relatively easy.

Then go to "Write Contacts" under the program menu, "IMPORT" the CSV file, In the same dialog box "WRITE" to the radio after it says upload successful. Note: It takes a while to write to the radio.

Before the radio uses the CSV contacts go to the Utilities menu in the radio itself and turn on CSV contacts

Last edited:

IW2BSF

hi, for notice ..... i ahve create a simply GUIDE with the instruction to put into the radio this CVS

for all WW databse ham radio , over 65,000 contact !

And there are the solutions of some problems.

here:

https://rodolfo-parisio.jimdo.com/nuovi-articoli-2017/

(in the middle of the page in the section "DMR Radio.... "

best 73 de IW2BSF - Rudy

Attachments

• display TYT.jpg
    display TYT.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 2,351

paulears

Reality Check!

If you buy a Motorola, Hytera, kenwood, Icom or other premium brand radio you spend a LOT of money, and you get a well designed, tested and sampled product.

You choose a brand new, untested, untrialled CHEAP radio and then complain about it? You can buy a Rolls Royce or you can buy a cheap go to the shops motor. Slagging the cheap car off because it doesn't have quality leather, and the stereo is a bit tinny sounding is not relevant.

You cannot have everything. If you kick the exhaust pipe of your shopping car, does it fall off? You can stand on the Rolls Royce one!

These radios are amazingly specified for the price - even with all the reported 'faults' - don't drop them, don't put them under water, don't expect a battery that lasts days. What can you buy with the money you spent on it? Be honest, not an awful lot!

N2AL

Reality Check!

If you buy a Motorola, Hytera, kenwood, Icom or other premium brand radio you spend a LOT of money, and you get a well designed, tested and sampled product.

You choose a brand new, untested, untrialled CHEAP radio and then complain about it? You can buy a Rolls Royce or you can buy a cheap go to the shops motor. Slagging the cheap car off because it doesn't have quality leather, and the stereo is a bit tinny sounding is not relevant.

You cannot have everything. If you kick the exhaust pipe of your shopping car, does it fall off? You can stand on the Rolls Royce one!

These radios are amazingly specified for the price - even with all the reported 'faults' - don't drop them, don't put them under water, don't expect a battery that lasts days. What can you buy with the money you spent on it? Be honest, not an awful lot!

I am a big proponent of getting what you pay for. But I spent $50 and picked up a Tytera MD380 and I have been genuinely surprised with its usefulness, and it's reliability!

This radio's battery life resembles the life of my Kenwood TK-2180 & 3180, and the audio quality and receive/transmit capability rivals it as well.

My only dislikes are the audio level displayed on the screen, and that each bank is limited to 16 channels.

Of course like all radios regardless of manufacturer, don't baptize them by fire, or water. Don't drop test them either. Doing so is bound to cause damage that may be irreversible.

So all in all, the best $50 so far I've spent on a radio I'd for the Tytera MD380.

khaytsus

Reality Check!

Material quality etc is one thing... the SMA connector being trash and the only way to navigate menus not working well is a very different thing. You simply can not use the radio if one or both no longer work.

Also.. You might want to spend less time at the pub before banging up responses such as this...

Status
Not open for further replies.