• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT TH-8600

Status
Not open for further replies.
The older version of this model was capable of transmitting up to 480 MHz. However, the newest versions arriving in stores, etc. are only capable of transmitting up to 450 MHz. There are several sellers on eBay and other websites who are able to reflash/reprogram these radios to transmit up to 480 MHz once again. This radio is becoming VERY popular in the ATV/SxS community, since it's IP67 waterproof.

I'm interesting in knowing how/where to acquire the software and firmware necessary to convert the newest 450 to be capable up to 480. I'm sure this is just a firmware update as I don't believe they changed any of the internals of the radios.

pastian

Premium Subscriber
I had a suspicion that these radios were an oddity so I am glad I got them.

I have the TYT TH-9800 and the HYS TC-8900R

9800 says 480 Mhz 8900 says 450 Mhz

N4KVE

The older version of this model was capable of transmitting up to 480 MHz. However, the newest versions arriving in stores, etc. are only capable of transmitting up to 450 MHz. There are several sellers on eBay and other websites who are able to reflash/reprogram these radios to transmit up to 480 MHz once again. This radio is becoming VERY popular in the ATV/SxS community, since it's IP67 waterproof.

I'm interesting in knowing how/where to acquire the software and firmware necessary to convert the newest 450 to be capable up to 480. I'm sure this is just a firmware update as I don't believe they changed any of the internals of the radios.
These radios were not legally allowed to transmit above 450 MHz. The FCC caught up with these companies, & told them that until they were FCC Part 90 approved, they could only transmit in the ham band. So you come here asking for help to break the law. There are plenty of used commercial radios that can legally do this. I’m even afraid to ask if the ATV community you hang out with has a permit to legally transmit above 450 MHz. But to answer your question, if there are people offering to flash the radio, have one of them do it. Everything can be found on E-Bay. This is not something for a beginner. Many people on other radio forums try to upgrade their radios, & brick them. Leave it for someone who knows what he is doing.

Last edited:

Hans13

I'm curious if you ever get this resolved, OP. When you first posted, I search the interwebz (including .ru and .co.uk sites) and came up empty. I also queried a knowledgeable local operator and he came up with nothing as well. Perhaps it's too early for the firmware to show up in the wild?

Regardless, please post updates. I'll keep investigating. Some of us are very curious.

Hans13

I'm not seeing the old firmware on TYT's site anymore. I do had the older radio and now also have the newer radio close by. The firmware updater allows the firmware to be saved from the old radio. Then, it could theoretically be flashed onto the new radio to downgrade the new radio's firmware.

Hans13

I just now downloaded everything on there that I could find for the TH-8600 and none seem to have the old firmware. :(

Because the current file specifically states "USA", I am anticipating a "non-USA" version to float about the net soon. At the latest, I would expect to see it after the next round of firmware updating from TYT. With China based companies, that could be never.

Status
Not open for further replies.