• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TYT TH-UVF2 issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I was looking for a dualband radio for testing repeater systems and links. Previously I had bought a TYT TH-UVF1 from directly from TYT, which for a hundred bucks performed the duty adequately. Recently I had looked into the new TH-UVF2 to have as a spare, considering the specs were pretty much the same as version 1. When I received the radio, all looked OK, until I put it on a service monitor. The receiver sensitivity was much poorer, by a respectable margin. After suffering through the language barrier with a sales rep at TYT, I asked if I was able to acquire the software to adjust these settings myself. I was told that no software existed. After much more correspondence, the answer I received was that their engineers said new TH-UVF2's receiver is not as sensitive as the TH-UVF1s. I asked why then are they advertising on their site that the levels are the same for both models -122 dBm at 12 dB sinad. No response now for over 10 days.

Just wanting to say beware with these radios and I guess you get what you pay for, next to nothing. Anyone have a better experience with these radios or this company?

astaro

Hi,
Thanks for sharing your experience with the radio. I was myself interested in buy a few of these new UVF2. I have been waiting for them for quite some time but I haven't seen them available anywhere. Did you order yours directly from TYT?
Also could it be that you got a very early release of the radio that is not quite living up to the specs they are targeting?

SCPD

QRT
TH-UVF2 issues

Yes. I did order directly from TYT. I had ordered 2 of the UVF1s before but one crapped out on me for good. I found that both of the UVF1s had power amp issues and I had to resolder the PAs down a few times but lost one completely eventually.

I waited for the UVF2 to come out and thought they would have resolved the issue. Maybe they did. Only to have another issue. Problem is, they never made any effort to help me resolve the poor sensitivity. Now they are ignoring me knowing that I have little to no recourse.

It more than likely is a first run because they sent it to me in a UVF1 box and the model sticker says TH-UVF1. Nice radio with lots of features but it has issues and I feel like the guinea pig.

N4TGR

UVF2 Purchase

I've had two of the UVF2's on order and paid for since 2 Aug 2011, it has been one excuse after another. The sales rep said it would only be approximately a month, then she said they were having sensitive issues, now they are going back to the chip maker to have them fix the chip. I don't understand why they would advertise a new radio or even sell them without having a full up production line..... I have a UVF1 and it's a good radio I hope when I get the UVF2's it is as good as my UVF1. I bought all of the bells and whisles, extra batteries etc, so I have a small chunck of change out of my pocket and nothing to show for it. I hope TYT comes through. The manual does suck but after about 20min of poking buttons you will figure out how to program the thing.

SCPD

QRT
TYT issues

Yes. Sounds like you have corresponded with the same sales rep. I have asked if they will compensate me somehow but no reply. The radios are easy to program and if they worked as promised, very versatile. I am a radio tech and wanted a radio that is quick to enter VHF & UHF freqs into for testing repeater systems. The UVF2 is adequate for that but the for range, the UVF1 kicks its butt.

astaro

Hi again,
I suppose the chances that it does actually are small, but you might want to try the LT-UV software (normally designed for the uvf-1). It's available here Transmission1 • View topic - TYT UVF 1 dualbander

It will allow you to change a bunch of settings not available in the standard software.

Also you might be able to get some additional help by asking on the TYT-USA yahoo group:

TYT-USA : TYT-USA

Hop this helps!

SCPD

QRT
TH-UVF2 issues

Astaro:

Thanks for the info. I have tried the LT software but it doesn't work on the UVF2s. I have or had the TYT tuning software for UVF1s that I acquired directly from TYT, but I don't presume it would work either.

I will try posting a comment on TYT-USAs board and see what becomes of it.

I am truly upset because now that I have an issue, TYT (in particular S.L. the sales rep) will not respond to my emails now that I have a problem with the radio and their false advertising. I have been quite civil with them too, asking how can we resolve things. No response.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
thanks, was considering trying one of these out, as the TYT's claim to actually support narrowband correctly- but I'll pass. After having a similar experience with the Wouxuns. Lesson learned there: you can't polish a turd.
Scan never worked correctly, poor IMD on UHF in the ham band. Not narrowband compliant (no 2.5KHz splinters, despite the FCC requiring it for part 90 radios made after 2005) No support from the factory.

But what do you expect from a cheap Chinese knock off?

I think I'll stick with vendors who actually give a flip about their products and don't use a Yahoo group for their user support. At least I can actually get a live person in the USA on the phone from a real office from Vertex, Icom, Kenwood (and until they send the call centers to India), Motorola Solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.