UASD error message for 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiris

Paul (or anyone who has seen this,
Every time I try to read the scanner to the software I get "scanner read error" and then "abnormal program termination".
I am running Windows 98 SE with a Pentium II processor, 128 megs of RAM and screen resolution of 1024x768.
Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks for any input.
Bob Findlay

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Are you using a serial port or USB with serial adapter? Front port I guess.

You may want to try a lower baud rate and see itf that works.

osiris

uasd error message

Dave,
I am using the front port. I tried 57600 & 38400 and still get the same message, (the scanner & the software are set at the same baud rate). When I first got the scanner & downloaded the software about 3 months ago, it worked. When I started having trouble with this and my DSL line I thoght it was the computer. I have since reformatted the hard drive and reloaded Win 98SE and am still having the same problem. Now the DSL line works, however. The reason I reloaded everything is there was something running in the background(an antivirus program or such) that I couldn't find or turn off. I just deleted the entire UASD program and downloaded it again this morning , so I know it is nothing that's in there from before.
Wouldn't have anything to do with duplicate systems on different start up keys I suppose?
Just a thought.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I don't think it's anything to do with the startup configuration. You could try downloading the ARC996 DEMO program and see if it will communicate. Butel has a nice polling feature for your radio/computer/port connection, built into the program. http://butel.nl/

osiris

UASD error message

DaveNF2G said:
That pretty much sums up your problem. 98 and 98SE perform poorly on serial devices.

Would Win 2000 or Windows XP be any better, do you think?
I was thinking of going to one of those anyway.
The message when you download this is "It may not run properly if you are not using Windows 98 or higher".
Thanks for the input.
The only thing I did not like about Butel for my 246T was that any system not assigned a quick key(as in "." for no quick key--the ARC program took all of them and assigned them to quick key "0". That was only with 10 Q Keys,I'd hate to see what would happen with 100 Q keys and maybe 10 systems assigned to no key(i.e.State Police and any other ones that I want to monitor no matter which Start up key I use)
Thanks again I'll try arc software & see what happens.
Bob.

D

DaveNF2G

I'm running UASD and the various ARC versions for the BC-296D, BCD396T, and BCD996T under Windows XP Professional with no problems. I was also able to get the 296 software running reliably under Windows 98SE, but the more advanced programs just didn't work properly on that machine.

osiris

UASD error message

Dave,
I downloaded the ARC software demo version and the computer read the entire scanner with no problem. However , I think the ARC program is harder to use-IMHO.
Probably because I've used the UASD so many times. When I can afford it I will probably update my machine to Windows XP.
As a side note this machine reads my 246T just fine, but that one has a lot less in it. The 996T is a lot more sophisticated.
I appreciate all the help from you guys, and I LOVE this scanner. Uniden outdid themselves and the competition with this.
Thanks,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.