Ubuntu question

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
Is there an easy way to save window positions under Ubuntu Linux? For example: I open Firefox and place the window in the center of the screen and close the program. Next time Firefox launches it opens in a random spot (usually on the left) rather than the position it was when last closing the program. This bug drives me absolutely insane and also occurs with most other applications. Occurs on both Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04. Any suggestions?

SCPD

QRT
I'll guess you are running Compiz on top of Gnome. There is a setting within compiz config manager that deal with window position as I recall, so you might find something there.

If you aren't using Compiz, then I'd head over to the Ubuntu forums and do a little searching, you should find some ideas there about gconf-editor and windows positioning.

brandon

Database Admin
Yup I'm using Compiz. I'll check the setting and see what Ubuntuforums has to offer. Sounds like its a known issue. Thanks :)

natrixgli

Late reply, you probably figured it out already, but what you need to do is install CompizConfig Settings Manager. Then you can edit the "Place Windows" plugin and add a rule to place firefox in a fixed position.

From the command line, you can install ccsm thusly:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Then run it from System > Preferences, or ALT+F2 and run 'ccsm'

In most cases you can just uncheck "workarounds" and this should give you the behaviour you expect. Otherwise, recheck "workarounds", and go to the "Fixed Placement" tab. Position firefox how you want it, and then add a rule for it. It should be fairly self explanatory, but let me know if you need more specific instructions.

Cheerio,

-n8

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.