UCA in Utah county, question about sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortoma61

Live in Saratoga Springs and have had a Uniden SDS200 for over a month and still fine-tuning everything. One persistent problem I have had is really noisy ( scratchy sounding ) UCA sites, such as St. George Simulcast. Signals from it were always weak and full of static. So I went ahead and avoided it. Only thing is, I don't want to avoid too many of them as I might miss some traffic. I would like to get rid of Willow Peak because it's really bad too. Unfortunately, Utah County Simulcast is also not so good. But if you live in Utah county and are a scanner listener, it would seem counter productive to put an avoid on a site with your own county name on it. Lake IR is a real jewel, everything on it sounds great. The only time I hear Provo PD and fire talk-groups well is when they are coming through on Lake IR. Any other sites make Provo barely readable. How many sites can I put an avoid on before I start missing too much?

KD7DDC

For a trunk system ideally you want as few sites as needed. In Utah County there is absolutely no reason to have any sites in Southern Utah.

Which sites you need is a bit tricky to understand. It depends completely on which talk groups you want to listen to.

Some talk groups are simulcast on the entire UCAN system, others may be on a single site. In certain situations a talk group not normally active on a particular site will get affiliated to it.

Hopefully someone in Utah County can provide a more solid answer. In reality though it's a matter of learning how the system works, programing the scanner in a way that is easily adjustable as needed.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

mortoma61

That was one thing I could never figure out in the first place. If St. George Simulcast is really from St. George, it would be impossible to pick it up, but I was. And a secondary question is obvious, why was I hearing local police, EMS and fire from our area being broadcast through that site? There must be something else going on with that St. George thing. Indeed, if you click on the site to see where it's at it's supposed to be located ( the repeater tower ) in St. George. We are not, I repeat not, getting some type of "skip" on high 800Mhz frequencies from 300 miles away! It was scratchy but I heard everything from Utah County sheriff to UHP and all sorts of other Utah county traffic.

Also, since I'm new at this but extremely observant, I might notice things that others don't. For the last month, since I started scanning on a newer tech scanner I was initially gleeful that I was getting quite a bit from Salt Lake county too. Only to be disappointed within the last two days upon the realization that the only time I get anything at all from Salt Lake County departments is when the computer system happens to put out the traffic on Lake IR site. So in other words I'm not even close to getting everything from Salt Lake County, only coincidental snippets because the computer control channel just happens to route through Lake IR or maybe one or two others at the most. If I was getting everything from SLC county I'd probably have non-stop listening with my own county added in the mix too.

Last edited:

mortoma61

Now, very strangely, I'm starting to get some departments, (like Provo PS1 just a few minutes ago) through a site called 'Howell'. This is almost as weird as getting stuff on St. George Simulcast. Howell is city way up by the I-15 and I84 split, not too far from Tremonton! I've now seen this site getting traffic on my scanner at least three times. And it comes in great, too.

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
I have notice the same thing. on my bcd536hp but only when listening to the full database.
enable. If i only turn on my favorite and only program in talk group weber county,
i only hear Weber county. I think it is something uniden has done with the full database.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
That was one thing I could never figure out in the first place. If St. George Simulcast is really from St. George, it would be impossible to pick it up, but I was. And a secondary question is obvious, why was I hearing local police, EMS and fire from our area being broadcast through that site? There must be something else going on with that St. George thing. Indeed, if you click on the site to see where it's at it's supposed to be located ( the repeater tower ) in St. George. We are not, I repeat not, getting some type of "skip" on high 800Mhz frequencies from 300 miles away! It was scratchy but I heard everything from Utah County sheriff to UHP and all sorts of other Utah county traffic.

Also, since I'm new at this but extremely observant, I might notice things that others don't. For the last month, since I started scanning on a newer tech scanner I was initially gleeful that I was getting quite a bit from Salt Lake county too. Only to be disappointed within the last two days upon the realization that the only time I get anything at all from Salt Lake County departments is when the computer system happens to put out the traffic on Lake IR site. So in other words I'm not even close to getting everything from Salt Lake County, only coincidental snippets because the computer control channel just happens to route through Lake IR or maybe one or two others at the most. If I was getting everything from SLC county I'd probably have non-stop listening with my own county added in the mix too.

It's scanning all site names but not those actual sites, all the frequencies are duplicated on other sites, doesn't mean you are hearing that site..
857.9875 is a frequency on several sites , it happens to be a control channel for some sites while just a voice channel for others, my best recommendation is to program only the Utah county sites in or turn on location in the scanner and set your range.. This will eliminate the extra sites being scanned

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

N7YUO

I live in Salt Lake County, in Kearns, at about 5000 ft elevation.
I get good reception for SL, Davis, Weber Counties.
I can receive Cal Mountain if I put the scanner in a North facing window.
If I want to listen to Tooele County, I can tune in to Nelson Peak.
I don't have good line-of-sight to anything in Utah County.
But some Utah County traffic comes across SL Simul.
Especially Utah County Fire dispatch and UT County Sheriff North.
Occasionally, I see some St George area TGRPs show up on the local system,
But I figure that's due to a unit from that area driving up here and
"dragging the channel" (Talkgroup) with him.

dlaforett

Premium Subscriber
live in Midvale I can hear every thing Utah. davis. salt lake. weber. st.George. counties I have a outside diamond discone antenna it realy works great

Status
Not open for further replies.