UCAN byu/provo help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolesen1

Help, Im trying to program my Uniden Bearcat bc898t scanner to listen to provo police dept.

Im using scancontrol / pc software, im pretty sure ive programed the control freqs and the talk groups. but i get no radio traffic.

Is provo pd on UCAN yet? Or BYU police dispatch.

any help would be great.

My names Niels, all around gadget freak, ke7afp.

Working for the big brown building in the middle of provo that caters to sick ppl.

Thanks

qlajlu

Silent Key
Welcome to the Utah Forum of RR.com
nolesen1!

You have come to the right place for help, but we are going to exact a price from you while we help you. First, please return to your profile and fill out your location so we will know where you are when we see your posts and won't have to guess.

Now, after looking at the RR Database (Db) it appears that Provo PD is NOT on the UCAN system, but rather on the Provo/Utah County/Brigham Young University system. I think if you follow the link and re-enter the information, you will find the radio traffic you are looking for. Apparently, all of the City of Provo is on that system.

Try that and please let us know if that solves the problem. It would be nice if you could help us by providing additional information on that system. Any time you encounter a new talk group (TG), we would appreciate it if you would let us know and also report it to the Db so it could be added. We need help in the Provo area.

Again, Welcome! ...and please let us (me) know if that works for you by posting back here.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Well, nolesen1, you have what I would call a bit of a conundrum. I have been looking at the Db in both the Provo/Utah County/Brigham Young University System and the UCAN System and I find Provo PD listed in both Databases! What appears to be Provo's main dispatch TG (45120) is listed in both Databases. However, I am thinking that you should probably get more by listening to the Provo/Utah County/Brigham Young University System after entering that system's frequencies into your scanner. That system certainly has more TGs listed for Provo PD.

I think you should also program the frequencies from UCAN's site 004 into a separate bank in your scanner and see if you don't start picking them up. With two options like that, you should be able to copy SOME radio traffic.

I'm not familiar with your scanner so I don't know the requirements for entering a system into it, but keep us up to date on what you have done and I know we can get you up and running.

I am really surprised that someone on this board hasn't called me on my first answer, but I think this needs more input and I'm sure that Junior1970 will have the answer once he visits this board and sees this thread.

nolesen1

Thanks for the welcome.

Ok I followed your advice and programmed the Freq.’s from the UCAN (system) site 004. I found the control channel on 867.9500, and Provo’s Pd dispatch TG: 45120.

BYU/ PROVO / UCAN TG: 42752 Listed on the website as “BYU pd dispatch”, was BYU catering, "they were talking about cheese, chairs and tickets." Of course that could be BYU PD, talking about cheese??

Ps updated my profile per request.

Last edited:

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Well, it looks liek we got what we've been needing for a while. Someone in the Provo area who can help clean up the Provo area Talk Groups. Most of us are up north, and we can't hear the traffic from down there. As has been said in the past, the RR database is a guide, a very good guide, but there are some dicrepancies in it, and as we find one, we provide updates both to the forum here, as well as submitting changes to the Moderator. If you are confident about that TG being catering, please submit it.
If you get up this way, we wil be having a get-to-gether on the 22nd. You are welcome to stop by.

qlajlu

Silent Key
nolesen1 said:
Ok I followed your advice and programmed the Freq.’s from the UCAN (system) site 004. I found the control channel on 867.9500, and Provo’s Pd dispatch TG: 45120.

BYU/ PROVO / UCAN TG: 42752 Listed on the website as “BYU pd dispatch”, was BYU catering, "they were talking about cheese, chairs and tickets." Of course that could be BYU PD, talking about cheese??
First, thanks for updating your location. With so many members it is hard to remember where each one is when you see their posts. Second, I was really hoping that Junior1970 would have seen this thread by now, since he lives in Eagle Mountain. I know that he would probably have this all ironed out.

Already you are providing information that we need to get our Database whipped back into shape. 867.9500 is not even listed as a Control Channel (CC) and TG 42752 is not listed in the Provo/Utah County/Brigham Young University System. From now on I am going to refer to the Provo/Utah County/Brigham Young University System simply as the BYU system because I'm too lazy to type that whole thing every time.

Have you been able to copy the Provo PD from the BYU system at all?

Utah_Viper

Nolesen, Welcome!!

Good to have someone in in that area. I worked on the search for Camille Cleverley last summer with the Provo PD, BYU PD, and Utah Co Sheriffs. Unfortunately I was way to busy to get to any scanning or even monitoring. I know its a bit of a drive but maybe you can make it out to our in person meeting in Magna. As weather gets better we will likely move meeting spots around some as we will be able to meet outside. Happy Scanning!

KF7OQQ

Premium Subscriber
Provo pd

I pick up most of Provo PD on the UCAN network from site 4 . The stuff i get off the BYU/Provo netwok is usally some C-C but alot of there TAC channels are on BYU so if there is a fire it would be good to monitor the BYU side . When Pacific States blew up this is where i pick up most of the conversations. I will warn you if you don't "close" you system you will pick up alot of ground/building maintenice of BYU and Provo. If you just want to hear Provo PD dispatch use UCAN .

qlajlu

Silent Key
Thank you, aroylance. I had forgotten you were in that area, too. So what you are saying is that you should monitor both systems in order to hear all the public safety traffic from Provo City, right?

What do you know about that TG (42752) that nolesen1 has reported as being bad in its identification. Do you know who that TG belongs to?

KF7OQQ

Premium Subscriber
I mainly lisen to the UCAN Network. I opened the bank that i have programed for provo/byu to try to pick up other stuff but only get building and ground for byu. If you can close your banks and only listen to what TGs you want than i would program in BYU/Provo . Most of the stuff i hear is on ucan but i haven't gone thru and updated my TG list on my scanner for BYU/Provo and most likely missing alot of stuff.

kd7rto

Has anyone ever located Provo 4? I've watched UCAN cell 4 on trunker when units have gone to it, and have not seen the id's pop up on any tg. It's been my assumption that it must be on the BYU system, though I was not in range of it to verify and determine the tg number.

I'm aware of BYU PD dispatch using tg 42752 on UCAN. Does anyone know if that agency is using any other tg's on either system?

Junior1970

kd7rto said:
Has anyone ever located Provo 4? I've watched UCAN cell 4 on trunker when units have gone to it, and have not seen the id's pop up on any tg. It's been my assumption that it must be on the BYU system, though I was not in range of it to verify and determine the tg number.

Provo 4 Car To Car is on the BYU system. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I cannot pick up the BYU system on the other side of Lake Mountain.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
We've gotten two different users for TG 42752. Can someone down there (BYU/Provo area) give a listen and confirm the type of traffic?

Junior1970

gldavis said:
We've gotten two different users for TG 42752. Can someone down there (BYU/Provo area) give a listen and confirm the type of traffic?

TG 42752 is BYU PD Main (as called by them over the air)

This is the main PD channel, used on UCAN. However for some reason at 20:00 hours they switch dispatch over to "Y Patrol" which is on the BYU system. I do not know what TG this is for I cannot get the BYU system out here on the west side of the Lake Mountain. If anyone knows add it to the database so when I finally upgrade my shack after this rebanding mess I can add that system to my future mobile with all the trimmings!

nolesen1

Thanks for all the help,,

Lisiting i found almost all of the Law Talk in the Ucan system. The BYU system sound to be more for BYU then anything else, I primalrly just pick up maintaince thru them. Hopeping to here some game info one day....

I found that if i just set my scanner to Search the CC, I can pick up almost all of utah countys law talk in provo. A bit confusing to be sure, but lots of fun.

BYU PD ralley ever talks, but they are on the UCAN system, im gussing ease of use, to talk to other Depts in the county.

Again thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.