UCAN Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

broueche

Anyone know of a map that exists to show the locations of the UCAN sites? I figure that would help me immensely to maximize what I can hear. A map would be faster than programming over and over again to try different sites.

broueche

I live in West Jordan, and I work for Ross Equipment here in Midvale (Pierce fire truck dealer). In my other post, I mentioned I was not picking up the VECC Fire channels on the Salt Lake County site, but I get them off of Nelson Peak. I just want to be sure what is the closest site to pick up from.

I was a firefighter in Davis County when we all switched over the the UCAN system, so I understand the basics of how the system works. Ultimately, I'd like to scan fire departments in Salt Lake, Davis, and Utah counties, because they are my most frequent customers and/or friends.

lndshrk

You should most certainly get the VECC Fire channels from the
main SL Valley site (Cell 3) of UCAN.

Two questions:

1) What scanner do you have

2) What control channels are you programming in?

Jim

ww7y

You should be picking up the Salt Lake Simo freqs with no problems. When Salt Lake County Sheriff joined UCAN they added many of their freqs to the UCAN Salt Lake Simo ones. There are now 19 freqs being used on Salt Lake Simo. The control freq is 868.1125 and if you get it strong at your location, then you should have no problem receiving the system. I noticed you are using an old radio, so you will probably have to put in all 19 freqs. If you look under the UCAN listings on this site, you will find the new freqs. All Salt Lake county fire units are dispatched on VECC Fire 1 thru 4. Salt Lake Fire is on the new Salt Lake Police/Fire system, but is being linked to VECC 5 and 6 on UCAN Of course Davis county fire units are on UCAN Davis Simo. Davis Fire 1 and 2 and the OPS channels. South Davis Fire and Bountiful Fire are merging on January 1 to form the South Davis Metro Fire Agency. They will be dispatched by Bountiful PD and have their own talkgroups, that havent been released yet. They will respond on the OPS channels. Most of these are also on Nelson Peak most of the time. The Talkgroup IDs are also on this site under UCAN.

Hope this helps,
Steve

broueche

Steve... Jim...

Thanks for all the help.

Yeah, it's an older one, a Pro90.

I have programmed one bank with all 19 channels, including the two data channels indicated on this site for SL County. But, my scanner will not allow me to program in the talk groups when I use all 19 freq's. If I search, it displays talk groups like 200-0, or 501-9. My understanding is that those are the older style talk groups, and so I'm confused. I hear a ton of traffic from those freq's but have no idea who it is or what department, although it sounds like a lot of SL county.

I have also programmed one bank with the Nelson Peak freq's, and on that one I can program in all the talk groups I want. However, I haven't tried Davis or Utah county yet, and my understanding is that I should be able to hear them as well. That is why I wanted to be sure to have the closest site, since that seems to affect what I can hear.

Ben

lndshrk

Brouche,

UCAN is a Motorola Type II system. TGID's are 5 digits in length.

If you don't have it, the manual to your scanner is located at:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc62/62187.pdf

I'm not familiar with your scanner.. I know the later RS scanners like
my Pro-96 don't need "all channels" programmed.. I have just the two
SL Valley Simo (Cell 3) Control Channels programmed and am listening
to Gold Cross 2 right now responding 29-D to an Auto/Ped.

Jim

PS: There is also a trunking FAQ for your scanner at:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/doc60/60724.htm

ww7y

Do you have it set to Motorola Type II system? If I remember right you can toggle the different type systems by pressing "trunk". I think you can put up to 30 freqs in a system in one bank, but only 20 will show up on the channel indicators on the display. The talkgroup #s you are getting sound like Motorola type I #s. I would just start over and reinput all the freqs and make sure you have it set to Motorola type II. In the search mode you should be getting Type II talk group #s like 21232. It should work OK.

Steve

broueche said:
Steve... Jim...

Thanks for all the help.

Yeah, it's an older one, a Pro90.

I have programmed one bank with all 19 channels, including the two data channels indicated on this site for SL County. But, my scanner will not allow me to program in the talk groups when I use all 19 freq's. If I search, it displays talk groups like 200-0, or 501-9. My understanding is that those are the older style talk groups, and so I'm confused. I hear a ton of traffic from those freq's but have no idea who it is or what department, although it sounds like a lot of SL county.

I have also programmed one bank with the Nelson Peak freq's, and on that one I can program in all the talk groups I want. However, I haven't tried Davis or Utah county yet, and my understanding is that I should be able to hear them as well. That is why I wanted to be sure to have the closest site, since that seems to affect what I can hear.

Ben

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
lndshrk said:
No map that I know of.. but here's someones LIST of the locations.

(How accurate this is, I cannot say)

http://n7olq.home.att.net/Radio/UCAN_frq.htm

Jim

That is my site, and I can tell you it is not very accurate now. I have not updated it in a long time. The freq list in the RR database is quite accurate. It would not be hard to create a map by grabbing the lat/lon coordinates provided on the FCC web site and importing them into a program like Street Atlas. The FCC site also has some mapping functions.

kd7rto

N7OLQ said:
It would not be hard to create a map by grabbing the lat/lon coordinates provided on the FCC web site and importing them into a program like Street Atlas. The FCC site also has some mapping functions.
Not hard to do at all, considering I've already done the work and put it on the 'net. Note my message in this thread earlier today.

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
I didn't scroll all the way down the thread before I sent my message and only saw your reply after sending mine.

broueche

Thanks to both of you... I'll check it out. I really appreciate all the help. I just found this site a few weeks ago, and I've already learned so much... so much that I've found many new toys I want! Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.