Ucan Site -46 St.George,UT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLM7424

During my travels as a Truck Driver/radio enthusiest

I have searched for new sites & frequencies changes.

I have the following info:
Parked at I-15 x4 St.george,ut
I believe the tower is just east of x4 with all the other comm antennas just behind and above the Flying J truck stop.
I tried to attenuate my psr600 with no change at all in signal.

this is from 5-13-08
7202s46-5-12-08.jpg

Below:this is from today 6-1-08
7202s46-6-1-08.jpg

Their Does not appear to be any traffic on this tower as of yet monitoring it for about an hour.

And of course the following are snapshots of Unitrunker running off of my psr600
with control channel dump on. thanks Matt/RR JLM7424.
ut7202unitrnkrchnls.jpg

ut7202unitrnkrbp.jpg

ut7202unitrnkrchnls.jpg

ut7202unitrnkr-sites.jpg

Utah_Viper

Well We had herd that this site was active during the spring break. Good to see its still down there and active. Now just need to find out when agencies there will be using it.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Okay, I've gotta say that this confuses me. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at and why would it show SysID as 7202? That is Salt Lake Site 2's SysID. Could/would someone explain this to me?

gadgetmikey

The whole UCAN system has an system ID of 7202 with each site having it own site number. It looks like St. George should be site 46 instead of 23 though, I think you called that one.

SCPD

QRT
gadgetmikey said:
It looks like St. George should be site 46 instead of 23 though, I think you called that one.
That's site 2E, not 23. The user has selected hexadecimal as the display mode. 2E is 2*16 + 14(E) or 46 so yes, that was site 46. I have no idea why it says "error" across the top of each screenshot.

qlajlu

Silent Key
gadgetmikey said:
The whole UCAN system has an system ID of 7202 with each site having it own site number. It looks like St. George should be site 46 instead of 23 though, I think you called that one.
Well, color me red in the face from embarrassment...in other words, DUH! I know that is the SysID for UCAN. I wonder where I was when I wrote that other post. Oh, well. Some days you are the bug and other days you are the windshield...or something like that.

The reason I questioned the site number early on was to my way of thinking the site number should have been way higher than 23 since it was a much newer site. Nothing scientific about it. Now it makes sense and it is possible someone misread the screen thinking they were looking at dec instead of hex as Unitrunker has said.

JLM7424

Unitrunker said:
I have no idea why it says "error" across the top of each screenshot.
I have often wondered that myself lol . I need to get Alpha on my laptop .

Unitrunker, May I say Sir THANKS !! For all your hard work and such a Great program.

Matt | RR-JLM7424

Last edited:

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Hearing no objections I changed the St. George site to 46. Thanks to all for the info and comments. -Tim

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Unitrunker

Yep much better, but still questions on unitrunker itself must i tweak the Radio itself to get unitrunker to work? I still don't have the signal cord yet, But trying to use the mic on the lappy puts the lappy on standby cuz of the closeness of the speaker of the scanner to the IR on the lappy. The signal on ford ridge isnt as great as St. George's. Should it listen to the control channel itself or the voice chans, or must i get a audio cable, and what size? And must i put something in it to get it to work better? i dont like the idea of opening the scanner to mess with it when ive spent $500+ on it.

JLM7424

enosjones said:
Yep much better, but still questions on unitrunker itself must i tweak the Radio itself to get unitrunker to work? I still don't have the signal cord yet, But trying to use the mic on the lappy puts the lappy on standby cuz of the closeness of the speaker of the scanner to the IR on the lappy. The signal on ford ridge isnt as great as St. George's. Should it listen to the control channel itself or the voice chans, or must i get a audio cable, and what size? And must i put something in it to get it to work better? i dont like the idea of opening the scanner to mess with it when ive spent $500+ on it.
What scanner model ?

the nice thing of the new psr-5/600 is the Control channel dump right out the usb data plug.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
BCD396t uniden someone said i needed a dicriminator tap or soimething like that to use unitrunker. But i dont want to add that i understand it voids the warrenty on it. Especailly if i spent $500.

qlajlu

Silent Key
enosjones said:
BCD396t uniden someone said i needed a dicriminator tap or soimething like that to use unitrunker. But i dont want to add that i understand it voids the warrenty on it. Especailly if i spent $500.
Can you tap one of your older scanners, Enos?

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
i dont know if it would work they dont connect to the computer and the cable for the bcd785D i cant find but it would also still need an audio cord same as my 396.

qlajlu

Silent Key
enosjones said:
i dont know if it would work they dont connect to the computer and the cable for the bcd785D i cant find but it would also still need an audio cord same as my 396.
I'm not up on this stuff since I'm technically challenged, unlike you. Isn't there a Radio Shack in Price? Maybe you could order the cables you need online. Just sayin....

I know you can do it, Enos!

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a Pro92 off ebay for $20. It had a broken display and was being sold as-is.

It is a VERY simple modification to add the tap to that scanner and it is what I use the vast majority of the time. I will also use my PSR-500 and just go direct via USB. On top of that my old Uniden BR330T will work without a tap. I dont get that good of a signal but it would work in a pinch.

Hey Enos, have you tried just plugging in your Uniden to see if it will work? You just need an audio cable.

If you are looking for an old scanner to buy and modify, here is a link to several so you can see how the mods are done.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Discriminator_output

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I have tried to plug in the 396 but i only got 1 time that it picked up the 7202 info but nothing more. the 785D scanner i need to find the cable I put it somewhere I stilll have to find it. I do have a Radio shack here, but they move into a smaller place so they have less inventory. I will look but i dont know what if anything i will find.

Junior1970

Site 46 - Webb Hill (St. George)

Back to the topic of Site 46. The area at exit 4 where all those towers are located is called Webb Hill. In the current meeting minutes on UCAN's web site they talk of activating a four channel IR site at Webb Hill near St. George. Judging by those that have monitored the site (data channel followed by three voice freqs with the final voice freq actually being the alternate data channel) it makes perfect sense. Webb Hill is also home to one of the UCAN 800 conventional repeaters as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.