UCSB Trunk system reband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkode15

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,
I've been trying to listen to the UCSB trunk system tonight. With the frequencies listed on the database page, there has been nothing but silence tonight. It was working fine yesterday. I plugged in the frequencies I didn't have already from this list FCC Callsign WNWX383 Details and am getting the occasional PD unit only, not dispatch, on 821.4875.

My scanner is too old to follow rebanded systems, so can anyone confirm that the rebanding has been completed? I'm assuming it has been but if anyone has any other info, I'd appreciate it. Just in time for a new scanner for Christmas...

monitor142

Make sure you are listening to/programming the 866-869 output frequencies. You'll only hear the mobiles and portables on 821. Dispatch is normally hardwired into the infrastructure via phone lines or fiber so they only talk on the repeater outputs. As far as rebanding, if they are in Wave 1 they can go at anytime. If they are in Wave 4, they are going to be waiting a while until the US State Dept. and Mexico hammer out an agreement.

-M142

dougr1252

It does look like Santa Barbara is part of Wave 4, so rebanding is not likely to happen soon. However, the new frequencies for the UC system are assigned statewide, so you can program those too just to check. Usually the new frequencies are added to the license several months before they switch over.

UC Rebanded:

I would try programming the existing base frequencies (866-869) as conventional and see if you find a control channel. If not, try a different location or different radio, or drive over to the campus and try there. 800 MHz does some goofy things. UC also published a radio road map of sorts earlier this year, and it indicates that UCSB wants to move emergency services to local systems similar to UC Santa Cruz, so that's another possibility.

cousinkix1953

It does look like Santa Barbara is part of Wave 4, so rebanding is not likely to happen soon. However, the new frequencies for the UC system are assigned statewide, so you can program those too just to check. Usually the new frequencies are added to the license several months before they switch over.

UC Rebanded:

I would try programming the existing base frequencies (866-869) as conventional and see if you find a control channel. If not, try a different location or different radio, or drive over to the campus and try there. 800 MHz does some goofy things. UC also published a radio road map of sorts earlier this year, and it indicates that UCSB wants to move emergency services to local systems similar to UC Santa Cruz, so that's another possibility.
UCSC rebanded their radios last spring. I simply added those fequencies to the list. The old ones 867-868 are no longer used. The campus fire department never used the new Motorola TRS even though TGIDs were assigned to them. Fire remains on 154.130 and the county-wide VHF system to this day.

The campus police began simulcasting their traffic on the old VHF frequency last summer. They are back to using 155.505 mhz almost full time and rarely heard on the TRS any more. These old VHF systems are compatible with the radios being used by local agencies.

Most of the UCs were on 155.445, 155.475, 155.505, 155.535 before gouing to 800 mhz. Wanna bet that UCSB is using one of these? Check for an open frequency on 460 mhz, where the local police and sheriff are hanging out too.

barkode15

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the replies.
It looks like the rebanding hasn't happened yet and they've instead been having radio problems for the last few days. On the weekend I heard communication services testing and it sounded like rebooting the control computer. On Sunday PD dispatch couldn't hear units in the field unless they held their PTT's for several seconds before talking. Right now PD is back on its normal talkgroup, but it sounds like they're getting interference 20 feet from the dispatch room.

I'm starting to see why they're looking at replacement options with the problems they've had over the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.