Ukiah CHP on Blue-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
We got 6"+ snow at my place overnight...

Ukiah CHP is dispatching on Coast Blue-2 (44.92mhz)...

I don't know if White channel is down...

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
We got 6"+ snow at my place overnight...

Ukiah CHP is dispatching on Coast Blue-2 (44.92mhz)...

I don't know if White channel is down...
44.92 with uplink of 42.52 and PL 100.0 was supposed to be the new "White 2" pair for Ukiah, so perhaps they're making or at least testing for the switchover. Also, in the Red Bluff and Eureka area there have been reports of units using the new Northern Blue 2, 44.98, whose uplink is or was going to be 42.56.

I've been wondering how long Ukiah could keep TXing on 42.56 if it's going to be the Blue's uplink.

Last edited:

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
Ukiah is simulcasting on COAST Blue-2 (44.92) and White (42.56)...

I'm not close enough to hear if car to base is still using white (42.76)...

Not as easy to keep up with the freq changes as it used to be...I did dump ALL the CHP freqs into 3 banks in my scanner, but when on the road I think it's easier to have just ONE instance of each frequency, without PL codes...I'm either close enough to hear it with CSQ, or I'm not...and I'm not as distracted from driving...the different combo's of freqs vs PL codes would be more useful if I'm "mountain topping" with several radios...

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
[To Moderator: You may want to move this thread into the "New CHP frequency assignments? Cutover date?" thread, since it's an addition to similar/related posts for other CHP areas that are inching toward their cutovers.]

While my reason for traveling wasn't terribly pleasant, I did spend a couple hours around and through Mendocino County on Thursday, and I can confirm that Ukiah CHP is indeed multicasting some of their dispatch-side 42.56 transmissions on the anticipated new Northern White 2, 44.92 with PL 100.0, from what appears to be either Spanish Mtn or Laughlin Ridge. Strongest 44.92 signals were heard from a few miles south of Ukiah to the Willits area. All the calls I picked up were for that area and a bit of stuff from Hwy 20 just east of 101. By that I mean that calls from the coast and far south and inland areas were not heard on 44.92, but I did hear dispatches for those areas on 42.56 only, without as much as squelch breaks on 44.92.

I picked up a lot of mobile transmissions along 101 for nearly the entire 106-mile length of US 101 in Mendo County, and without exception all were on the "old" 42.76 with the 107.2 PL tone. Nothing at all on the planned White 2 mobile, 42.52 (or any other frequency)

All that being said, it's clear that CHP's Ukiah dispatch is doing the exact same thing that the Redding and Humboldt Comm Centers have been doing since last October with their proposed CHPERS frequencies - setting up just one base TX site in their area to multicast that site's downlink messages on both the old and proposed new frequencies. Coming up on 5 months of that, but granted it's been wet, occasionally snowy, and they're short on radio techs.

We've yet to hear any listeners' reports for the Northern Division's Susanville or Yreka CHP Dispatch Center areas, as to whether they've made any similar moves toward the CHPERS frequencies planned for them.

Ukiah is simulcasting on COAST Blue-2 (44.92) and White (42.56)...

I'm not close enough to hear if car to base is still using white (42.76)...

Not as easy to keep up with the freq changes as it used to be...I did dump ALL the CHP freqs into 3 banks in my scanner, but when on the road I think it's easier to have just ONE instance of each frequency, without PL codes...I'm either close enough to hear it with CSQ, or I'm not...and I'm not as distracted from driving...the different combo's of freqs vs PL codes would be more useful if I'm "mountain topping" with several radios...

Last edited:
[To Moderator: You may want to move this thread into the "New CHP frequency assignments? Cutover date?" thread, since it's an addition to similar/related posts for other CHP areas that are inching toward their cutovers.]

While my reason for traveling wasn't terribly pleasant, I did spend a couple hours around and through Mendocino County on Thursday, and I can confirm that Ukiah CHP is indeed multicasting some of their dispatch-side 42.56 transmissions on the anticipated new Northern White 2, 44.92 with PL 100.0, from what appears to be either Spanish Mtn or Laughlin Ridge. Strongest 44.92 signals were heard from a few miles south of Ukiah to the Willits area. All the calls I picked up were for that area and a bit of stuff from Hwy 20 just east of 101. By that I mean that calls from the coast and far south and inland areas were not heard on 44.92, but I did hear dispatches for those areas on 42.56 only, without as much as squelch breaks on 44.92.

I picked up a lot of mobile transmissions along 101 for nearly the entire 106-mile length of US 101 in Mendo County, and without exception all were on the "old" 42.76 with the 107.2 PL tone. Nothing at all on the planned White 2 mobile, 42.52 (or any other frequency)

All that being said, it's clear that CHP's Ukiah dispatch is doing the exact same thing that the Redding and Humboldt Comm Centers have been doing since last October with their proposed CHPERS frequencies - setting up just one base TX site in their area to multicast that site's downlink messages on both the old and proposed new frequencies. Coming up on 5 months of that, but granted it's been wet, occasionally snowy, and they're short on radio techs.

We've yet to hear any listeners' reports for the Northern Division's Susanville or Yreka CHP Dispatch Center areas, as to whether they've made any similar moves toward the CHPERS frequencies planned for them.

They are doing the same with Santa Cruz green1 and new green2 multicasting some of their dispatch-side and I believe they are doing it with SLO county also. I think it's making it easier for them to switch to the newer channels once they are ready to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.