Unassigned box alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlittle

Premium Subscriber
When FDNY communications is dispatching what I assume is a call for a pull station, what does the dispatcher mean by the term "unassigned box alarm"?

SQUAD109

Premium Subscriber
well most pull stations when pulled will send a signal to fdny dispatcher's then the class 3 alarm will be transmitted with location's of alarm in the building etc but not all alarm systems do this...so the fire alarm goes off a company worker calls 911 saying hey my building fire alarm going off ...but i do not know where the emergency is etc so fdny dispatcher transmit unassigned box alarm for that address

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Just an FYI:

If a building calls 911 reporting an activated alarm it will goes as a "Phone Alarm" and in the text it will say alarm ringing

Class 3 Alarms (Automatic Fire Alarm System) come from an approved central station monitioring company such as ADT. They can be Water Flow, Manual, or automatic. As far as the terminal numbers they are useless to the responding units.

wlittle

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information all. The more I listen, the more I'm beginning to understand what they are talking about. I do have one more question though. The other day I printed out a listing of the 10-codes from The Bravest.com. Under a 10-33, Code 1, it makes reference to a salamander. What is that?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Salamander is a device used to keep concrete warm during construction.
Some maybe burn barrels or kerosene heaters.

D

DaveNF2G

A salamander is a device used for heating open areas by contractors.

wlittle

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the explanation about the salamander. I've tried looking it up on the Internet and I'll I find is information about a lizard and I knew dispatch wasn't talking about a lizard on fire. :)

FDNYOPS

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information all. The more I listen, the more I'm beginning to understand what they are talking about. I do have one more question though. The other day I printed out a listing of the 10-codes from The Bravest.com. Under a 10-33, Code 1, it makes reference to a salamander. What is that?

Just to make it easier for you...
a 10-33-1 is just an "odor of smoke" from nearby fire, bbq, etc...
a 10-33-2 is just an "other odor" natural gas, some sort of fumes, etc...

bxcp

Premium Subscriber
Unassigned alarm

The reason why you hear the term "Unassigned Class 3" is because the private fire alarm (PFA)might have an application pending, or has not filed an application for that alarm system to be registered with FDNY. The PFA charges the customers for the alarm system & an additional fee to monitor the system 24 hours a day. A small percentage of the charge was to go to NYC, but if the PFA fails to register the alarm, then there profits increase. Once the application is approved, that alarm system is assigned a terminal number for the associated fire alarm box number. Some Manhattan fire boxes use to have several hundred terminals assigned, but in recent years with master alarm systems systems in each building, the number of class 3 terminals have been greatly decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.