• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication G4 & G5 audio dropout

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Starting this as a thread for just this topic. It will help de-clutter the other thread, if an admin would move the posts.

Sent via Tapatalk

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Saw my dealer at a trade show this weekend. I was able to show them the poor audio so they saw it first hand. Tech said 'blown speaker' while salesman just blew it off -probably trying to not scare off other potential clients nearby. Unit is about a week old and they advised me to send it back. Great. I just mailed in my minitor 5 trade in. And I'm annoyed the dealer doesn't have a loaner. This may be something Unication would like do with their dealers. So, now I'll be without a pager. This is not a good first impression of Unication branded products.

Time to dig out the old minitor I brick.

diskmonger

Saw my dealer at a trade show this weekend. I was able to show them the poor audio so they saw it first hand. Tech said 'blown speaker' while salesman just blew it off -probably trying to not scare off other potential clients nearby. Unit is about a week old and they advised me to send it back. Great. I just mailed in my minitor 5 trade in. And I'm annoyed the dealer doesn't have a loaner. This may be something Unication would like do with their dealers. So, now I'll be without a pager. This is not a good first impression of Unication branded products.

Time to dig out the old minitor I brick.

I RMA'ed mine and the turn around time was around 2 weeks, new unit still has the audio issue. Where about in Michigan are you using yours? I'm in Washtenaw County.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
I RMA'ed mine and the turn around time was around 2 weeks, new unit still has the audio issue. Where about in Michigan are you using yours? I'm in Washtenaw County.

Do me a favor and loosen the screws on the battery door a bit have gotten a few reports that this resolved the issue.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
loosing the screws did it. I hit playback when I was doing it to see if there was a 'sweet' spot that caused / fixed it. While unscrewing it, there was a slight mechanical 'pop' feeling and it went clear and loud again.

So, if the solution is to loosen the battery cover, how could that effect the waterproof-ness and warranty?

I'd really rather not send it in. I have a class with the state on these next week. Kinda need one on hand for it...

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I can also report the audio is perfectly clear when using the amp charger, even when the pager itself sounds like crap.

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
loosing the screws did it. I hit playback when I was doing it to see if there was a 'sweet' spot that caused / fixed it. While unscrewing it, there was a slight mechanical 'pop' feeling and it went clear and loud again.

So, if the solution is to loosen the battery cover, how could that effect the waterproof-ness and warranty?

I'd really rather not send it in. I have a class with the state on these next week. Kinda need one on hand for it...

How loose did you have to make it for the correction to occur. If the screws are snug but not overly tightened it shouldn't effect the waterproofing.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
(I thought) I was careful to not overtighten. I was too afraid of stripping threads / cracking plastic / rounding the heads off. But also concerned with making sure it was sealed against moisture. I probably had to back them out 3 turns or so.

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
(I thought) I was careful to not overtighten. I was too afraid of stripping threads / cracking plastic / rounding the heads off. But also concerned with making sure it was sealed against moisture. I probably had to back them out 3 turns or so.

when you press on the battery door does it move and if so how much?

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Not enough to visibility move, but I can hear a click/pop when pushed on, almost like its not seated right.

kc2smb

Audio

So is it safe to say that if you are a public safety radio monitoring enthusiast you have to have a screw loose ? Lol. Sorry but it had to be said. Anyway, I did as suggested and my audio seems to be fine. I will post if it goes into failure again. No news is good news.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I have had the screws loosened now for a few days and only had the muffled audio come back once. I changed to a different trunked system, let the radio receive the control channel, and then switched back to my original system and the audio was fine. Granted this fix could also have been from me increasing or decrease pressure to the unit while going through the menu to change zones. If it is the battery cover exerting too much pressure on the unit, I'd be more than happy to test a hybrid door in which the screws have a stop plate which allows a waterproof seal but does not permit the screws to be overtightened.

Speaking of switching zones....I'm getting angry when i go into the menu and I'm constantly interrupted when I RX traffic on a talkgroup. You have to find a fix for that....if I'm in the menu I'm there for a reason whether it's display brightness change zones, etc. it shouldn't be interrupted. Off my soapbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
I need someone with the audio issue to run a test for me. I need someone to completely remove the battery door and run the unit that way for a bit just to see if the issue pops up.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I've only had the issue come back once with the screws loosened. I'll run it will the door removed all weekend. Will post up results.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
No issues with the door removed. Ran it all day Saturday and today. I've placed the door back on, tightened the screws all the way and then backed out just a tad so I still have a watertight seal. Will be running it hard all week to see if the problem returns.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Dave I sent you my info. So far no audio distortion with the door back on. Ran all day Monday and today. Can you elaborate on your fix ?

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
Dave I sent you my info. So far no audio distortion with the door back on. Ran all day Monday and today. Can you elaborate on your fix ?

I wish i could but i haven't gotten approval to release that info yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.