Unication G4 Receiver and MARCS-IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
Was wondering if any of you had spent the big bucks for the Unification 700/800 receiver? I want to know how well it performs, obviously, because its double the price of a scanner and only good for one service band (I wouldn't but a dual band). It is able to be programmed by a lay-person? Just wondering if anybody Ohio specific has used it and their comments/concerns.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I did see a post where a member is using a Unication G4 or G5 to monitor Columbus and is very happy with it, but don't remember which one of the so, so, many threads on monitoring MARCS I saw it in.

I am considering a G4. The only place I really have simulcast issues is at work, where I monitor the entire time. I monitor MARCS 99.9% of the time anyway.

From the videos I have seen the programming appears to be about the same as programming a scanner.

Last edited:

firecatohio

Ok with them to receive very well, but why spend $900 when I can get a scanner that's the same thing for $250?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Unication G4/5

Why? here's why? THIS Video is the norm, not the exception for most scanners today. Just look at the various brand forum posts and read the complaints about simulcast trunked problems. And until January 15th 2017 it's $700 at select places where you buy. Add to that future upgrades like Phase II TDMA in the works and tweaks to make it more scanner-like? there's no comparison in quality. Those pagers are professional radios used by Police/Fire. You don't get the "same thing" in scanners when you can't hear due to simulcast distortion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsxxUoLDLEk

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonk

Feed Provider
I own the G4 and the G5 - They work almost flawlessly on the MARCS-IP System. I also own 996XT, HP536, HP436 (x3) and all the Whistler, Radio Shack versions of scanners. Here is my estimate on the reliability of Decoding the MARCS-IP in my county.

Pro106 - May decode 10-20 % of all traffic
PSR800 - May decode 20-30 % of all Traffic
Uniden 996XT - Possibly 50% of all Traffic
Uniden 536 - Possibly 60-70% of all traffic
Uniden 436 - Possibly 70-80 % of all traffic

G4 & G5 - Possibly 95% of ALL Traffic

I am using Stock Antennas, Roof Antennas (Discone) Yagi Antenna (Roof Mount) and also Radio Shack 800 Mhz Antenna. The YAGI is best - Stock antenna is next best on 436.

G4 & G5 - just using stock stubby

I also am within 5 miles of Montgomery County - I can get full signal on 436 Roof Antenna - but only about 20% decode - the G5 is 100% decode in upstairs office - and I am using it for a Private Online Stream - so I can listen on smartphone or any internet computer.

There are some limitations to the pager - only scanning 1 MARCS-IP Site at a time is a main one if you plan to be mobile. You can assign a site to each knob position - just cant scan them all at once.

Programming is easy - and I could share a MARCS-IP File ....

Jason K

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
Unication & MARCS

The G5 is a MARCS fix/dream for me. I have about half a dozen digital scanners I would trade for another one. Very solid RX in the fixed cradle, portable and clipped to the sun visor in a car.

Be warned, once you get one you'll want more...

Firefox89

Premium Subscriber
So it cannot scan.., is that what I am understanding correctly? It only does one talk group at a time and there's not way to run scan?

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
So it cannot scan.., is that what I am understanding correctly? It only does one talk group at a time and there's not way to run scan?
You can scan up to 64 talk groups at once, but only 1 site at a time. Also note, as of now.. there is no hold or delete button, hopefully a firmware update brings those features to us.

firecatohio

I'm gonna go with wow... and did my looking guess no need for a radio ID to recieve! I knew you did to have a radio done but this changes everything..

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jasonk

Feed Provider
One site at a time and no way to hold on a TG would be a deal breaker for me, I'll stick with my 436 and my faith in Uniden.

Yeah - I stuck with Uniden x5 and i dont hear ANYTHING .... while the limitations are somewhat inconvenient - you could overcome almost all of them with how you program the pager. If I need to switch systems - I turn the knob - or I switch Zones. If you have certain channels you want to lock on - assign them their own Zone / Knob position. You have 8 Zone / 8 Knob positions - with 64 TG's in each.

As far as switching between Greene System and Montgomery System - the pager will do it - the problem is it will lock onto current system until its no longer in range - then switch to next one - so border areas would be a problem. I have Zone 1 Channel 1 set for every MARCS IP Site in Ohio - so in theory I could travel the State and pick up the TG's I have programmed - assuming they are available on the distant systems.

Stick with Uniden on MARCS-IP and watch the News to see all the stuff you missed.

Jason

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
With the roaming setup in Franklin County a transmission could be on any of 6 different sites depending on which site the radio affiliates with. My 436 works great it just doesn't work well inside my place of employment. My scanners work even better in the Dayton area.

gtaman

Just get a RELM P800 or M800 true no affiliation monitor and you don't need system keys. Better than a Unication but expensive.

KB8KOJ

Premium Subscriber
As far as switching between Greene System and Montgomery System - the pager will do it... border areas would be a problem.
I didn't know it would do that.. I tried but the second part kept it from switching. I would just like to enable multiple knob positions at once. Then it would be very friendly for scanning multiple sites. Being SDR... the platform is there for very cool things. Up to the developers and engineers at this point.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Unication G4 Receiver And MARCS-IP

Just get a RELM P800 or M800 true no affiliation monitor and you don't need system keys. Better than a Unication, but expensive.

How is it better than the Unication?

What are the best prices that you have seen on the RELM P800 or M800?

Status
Not open for further replies.