Unication G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
ok Got my New G4 in and absolutely love it....its not a scanner but:

It can scan channels in same system.....No option for delay on a channel. 8 Knob positions for System 1. So each channel for me is a separate dispatch channel this way I don't have to worry about missing something as they let up on mic.

Reception is twice if not three times as good as my old BCD536hp or HP-2

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You can only listen to one channel at a time that way.

The way I got around the lack of delay and hold is to creatively use the priority feature (Multi-Select Call Sampling).

Program the main channel at the top and the others below in each knob position.

For 'dispatch' put dispatch at the top of the list and the tacticals below. For 'tactical' put the dispatch at the bottom of the list.

Say your city has an East and West channel. In knob 1 program East then West. In knob 2 program West then East. You will be able to hear everything but your primary (highest priority) channel will always play first.

Last edited:

kg4pbd

You can only listen to one channel at a time that way.

The way I got around the lack of delay and hold is to creatively use the priority feature (Multi-Select Call Sampling).

Program the main channel at the top and the others below in each knob position.

For 'dispatch' put dispatch at the top of the list and the tacticals below. For 'tactical' put the dispatch at the bottom of the list.

Say your city has an East and West channel. In knob 1 program East then West. In knob 2 program West then East. You will be able to hear everything but your primary (highest priority) channel will always play first.

I like that method! Can you explain to me if selecting the option for Multi-select sampling is the same as enabling the radio to follow a patched talkgroup? My understanding is that multi-select is not patching, and I still don't understand if the G4/G5 will follow patched talkgroups.

I've been working on my first PPS profile for the last two weeks, and supposedly my G5 will be delivered today. Very anxious to try this out.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Wow - Great idea W8RMH - will have to play around with that option!!

Programming Austin, TX is a little tough because they have like 10 dispatch channels then all their talk (aka on scene channels).

New to PPS - can you tell me which tabs you set that up on?
I am guessing in the order it is the knob feature putting the TGID in the correct order - right?
And then where do you turn on the Multi-Select Call Sampling?

You should make a YouTube video sounds like your a pro...always nice to see how someone carves up the systems.

THANKS AGAIN!!

Soundman

I have a BCD536,436 ,Home Patrol ,BC996xlt,BC796d, BC785d,BC296.I will be selling off some of them .I have to many. I am getting rid of the BC996xlt ,BC785d,BC296 and the BC796d.But my big ? is should I get a G5. I live in Charlotte N.C. I will have the money when I sell off my scanner .
Thanks for the help guys

troymail

Silent Key
I have a BCD536,436 ,Home Patrol ,BC996xlt,BC796d, BC785d,BC296.I will be selling off some of them .I have to many. I am getting rid of the BC996xlt ,BC785d,BC296 and the BC796d.But my big ? is should I get a G5. I live in Charlotte N.C. I will have the money when I sell off my scanner .
Thanks for the help guys

Generally, I'd only buy the G5 is I were having simulcast reception issues - that is it's one big advantage.

Most other things about the Unications are on the negative side (for scanner users) as compared to scanners.

dakota91

Alternative to G4/5

Although I realize that this forum article is for a review of the G5, one thing that usually isn’t discussed is an alternative to the G4/5 called OP-25. It’s much easier to install than it was just six months ago. I recently bought a reconditioned 11” Dell 11-3179 laptop for $265 (after using a 15% off coupon) and loaded Ubuntu 14.04 and OP-25 (both free software) on it and had it up and running in about 20 minutes. It also needs a RTL stick and antenna, both of which can be bought for less than $20 each. The laptop is small and thin enough to easily hide between my center console and passenger seat. As with most laptops, it has both Bluetooth and a 3.5 mm output jack for sound.

In a dual boot configuration, I can use it as a scanner when I want and reboot and use it as a normal Windows 10 laptop. OP-25 can decode both Phase 1 and Phase 2 systems simultaneously by simply adding “-2” to the startup options. It also has a built-in 2 second delay as well as soft keys for HOLD and LOCKOUT (the lockout is only for that session and will reset whenever the program is restarted. You can also have different trunk.tsv file configurations for different systems or monitoring options.

I have my laptop configured so that when I press the power button, it boots up and automatically starts the OP-25 program and begins scanning my favorite trunkgroups. I can then push the power switch again to turn it off, but I also have it configured to hibernate if I forget to turn it off and the battery drops below 75%. That way I never have to take it out from between my seats or open the laptop.

At one time I came very close to ordering a G4 myself, but I then read a long message in the Unication forum on what people wanted and decided I already had most of the desired features on my OP-25 system. I also didn’t like that Unication is planning on charging $150 for Phase 2 decoding firmware sometime next year when I already have that feature for free using OP-25. I also figured that if I get pulled over and a cop searches my car, he’ll just find a laptop without even considering that it’s actually a scanner.

Sorry to all the G4/G5 owners for getting off topic, but I believe anyone wanting to monitor a simulcast system should be made aware of all of their options. I admit that the G4/G5 is a very nice device and works extremely well on LSM systems and if sold for half of what does today then I would have bought one in a heartbeat rather than using OP-25.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to all the G4/G5 owners for getting off topic, but I believe anyone wanting to monitor a simulcast system should be made aware of all of their options. I admit that the G4/G5 is a very nice device and works extremely well on LSM systems and if sold for half of what does today then I would have bought one in a heartbeat rather than using OP-25.
OP25 is great software, but several issues from what i gather

#1. you need Linux
#2, its not portable

Status
Not open for further replies.