• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unication Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
One of the criticisms of the Unication G4/5 is that it is not currently possible to turn scanning off. I am just curious if anybody here is programming any of their zones with just a single talkgroup? In essence, making that zone a single channel monitor.

One of the other things that I am considering, is having different profiles in different zones with a different priority talkgroups pre-programmed. That sort of cures the problem of not being able to change the select priority talkgroup from the keypad.

One other criticism if changing from TALKGROUP SCAN to TALKGROUP SEARCH, or whatever Unication calls it, from the unit is receiving. One work around has been to remove the antenna. With so much memory available, why not program the same group of talkgroups in the next zone over and have it pre-selected is SEARCH rather than SCAN?

I would love to have Butel, or somebody else, make after market software for this similar to their software for other radios. It would be nice to be able to leave this connected to a computer and have it perform unattended monitoring.

That way it could

-Log Newly Found Talkgroups

-Log Fire Tones

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I have some of my knob positions as single talkgroups.
I believe to be used as a pager, that is exactly what you would do anyway.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Same thing here as Thunderknight. Knob position one scans "PD SCAN" which scans all the dispatch, car2car and info talkgroups. Then position 2 PD North, position 3 PD Central, 4 PD South, 5 C2C N, 6 C2C C, 7 C2C S and 8 INFO/TTY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
My programming is similar to Signal-Zero's. Besides single talkgroup knob positions, I also have additional scan lists in other zones, like one just for Fire Ops channels, one for Law Only, one for Airport ops, one for Misc Agencies. Then I have another set with my usual talkgroups, but using a completely different simulcast site. My G5 will sometimes switch to East Simulcast site when I'm in that part of town, but often it hangs on too long to the West site. So I can force it to use East Simulcast if I want.
Then I have a bunch of conventional channels and several scan lists of those in additional zones. Twelve zones in all at the moment.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I set mine up the same. Zone is a city. Then each channel either has several to scan or an individual channel.
If this catches on perhaps Unication will add a 16 channel selector, a bump up from the current 8 channel selector. But with 8 im making it work. If its a large system then i would have Fire as a zone of its own and Police as a zone then miscelaneous zone.
Either way with 8 channel positions and being able to put 1 entry or 64 TG entrys im happy with it.

prc117f

One of the criticisms of the Unication G4/5 is that it is not currently possible to turn scanning off. I am just curious if anybody here is programming any of their zones with just a single talkgroup? In essence, making that zone a single channel monitor.

One of the other things that I am considering, is having different profiles in different zones with a different priority talkgroups pre-programmed. That sort of cures the problem of not being able to change the select priority talkgroup from the keypad.

One other criticism if changing from TALKGROUP SCAN to TALKGROUP SEARCH, or whatever Unication calls it, from the unit is receiving. One work around has been to remove the antenna. With so much memory available, why not program the same group of talkgroups in the next zone over and have it pre-selected is SEARCH rather than SCAN?

I would love to have Butel, or somebody else, make after market software for this similar to their software for other radios. It would be nice to be able to leave this connected to a computer and have it perform unattended monitoring.

That way it could

-Log Newly Found Talkgroups

-Log Fire Tones

I do. I have a zone with just one talk group for each channel. Acts like a regular channelized radio. I programmed it just like my work radio with exact same channel names etc.. which is a harris P7300. so now I do not have to carry that brick anymore when on call just the little G5. I have 7 channels on my P7300 and now the same on the G5.

so in essence its single channel operation.

prc117f

I set mine up the same. Zone is a city. Then each channel either has several to scan or an individual channel.
If this catches on perhaps Unication will add a 16 channel selector, a bump up from the current 8 channel selector. But with 8 im making it work. If its a large system then i would have Fire as a zone of its own and Police as a zone then miscelaneous zone.
Either way with 8 channel positions and being able to put 1 entry or 64 TG entrys im happy with it.

When a future G6 arrives it would be cool if it had a channel knob that just spins around so you can have x channels.

so if you program only 2 channels, then turning the knob around will just switch between channel1/channel2.

if you have 16 then it goes through 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.