Uniden 996/396 And Charlotte VIPER

Status
Not open for further replies.

pboy

Some peculiar behavior has been recently observed with the Uniden 996 and 396 while monitoring the Charlotte area VIPER sites.

The system info readout will at times show the Zone 1 ID in place of the Zone 2 ID. Site number will not change.

Also, a bogus TGID will flash briefly from time to time, though no attempt is made by the scanner to track it.

You have to watch the display for a while, but this eventually happens.

It seems to be related to the recent zone switchover. Sites were changed from Zone 1 into Zone 2.

Treport software program still acts normally. However, Unitrunker now goes bezerk when it tries to follow these sites.

Can anybody else confirm any strangeness?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Wow, don't know what to say here...Treport is working a-ok and Unitrunker is going crazy?? Something is not right in the zone setup (and I mean on the systems end not yours)...

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
I too have noticed strange things happening. The 396 will be locked on a control channel (usually Huntersville or Concord, my trip to and from work) and from time to time a talkgroup ID will show up and I will hear a control signal. The TG ID is strange and begins with the letter "i" followed by a few numbers. I've never seen anything like it. I thought either the radio was freaking out or it's some type of test mode for the system.

Jon
N4ZVY

pboy

KE4ZNR said:
Wow, don't know what to say here...Treport is working a-ok and Unitrunker is going crazy?? Something is not right in the zone setup (and I mean on the systems end not yours)...
Yea, kind of wierd. Must be something with OmniLink now that the system is multi zone.

Thing is nobody else in the country that monitors similar systems has reported anything like this from what I can find.

At least the scanners still track right so far.

pboy

jplyler said:
I too have noticed strange things happening. The 396 will be locked on a control channel (usually Huntersville or Concord, my trip to and from work) and from time to time a talkgroup ID will show up and I will hear a control signal. The TG ID is strange and begins with the letter "i" followed by a few numbers. I've never seen anything like it. I thought either the radio was freaking out or it's some type of test mode for the system.

Jon
N4ZVY

Sounds like what I experience on Anderson Mtn.

If I enable I-Calls. it will latch onto a phantom RID and stall on CC. Maybe what you are talking about.

Either lockout the bogus TG or disable I-Calls to eliminate it.

pboy

Updated the version of Unitrunker to the latest beta and that got the systems tracking right with it.

Have yet to see anything show up on Treport that would explain what the Uniden 996 is reacting to.

Status
Not open for further replies.