Uniden 996 Not Showing Checksum

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNXVTV

Hey All,

I've flashed the other 6 996 units we have, and our 396 with no problems up to the latest version.

Following the same methods used to succesfully update the other radios I have one which refuses to cooperate and display a checksum. It simply says SUM=0FF.

Tried to google the problem to no avail and i'd like to get this scanner up to speed with the rest, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Brian

MajorGamer

Have you entered your checksum of 0FF into the ESN Checksum field of your online registration of your scanner?

If you have and it is being rejected you then want to double check and make sure you have the exact serial number from the back of the scanner entered correctly in the serial number field on the online registration.

The serial number and ESN number are directly tied to each other so if one or the other is not entered correctly the scanner will not be registered. This will prevent you from getting the activation key to install version 2 of the firmware.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
"0" is zero
"0FF" is not the word "off" it is the hex value zero-f-f

Chances of that being the check sum are actually very low. You don't win any prize, though.

KNXVTV

Yeah entering that as the checksum didn't work, does anyone from Uniden check these forums that might be able to check or help us figure out what needs to be done. We got all our other 996s and our pair of 396s updated just fine , ill work on version 3 this week, but would like to keep them all up to date.

Thanks all,

Brian

slypx

Quebec DB Adm
Premium Subscriber
... does anyone from Uniden check these forums that might be able to check or help us figure out what needs to be done...

Thanks all,

Brian

Wishes came thru ...

Prior (and only) answer was given by UPMan who is from Uniden (Uniden Product manager if I'm not wrong - That translate into UPMan) ... Can't get better than that actually ...

Keep feeding the post with your trial and error process and the UPMan will help you.

Last edited:

KNXVTV

Define "Didn't work."

Also, what is your username on www.uniden.com/my? When I get into work, I'll be able to look up your account info.

Hey Paul,

Sorry for not noticing your name before, ICP963 kindly called me and ribbed me about it!

The username i've setup is bpryor for the uniden website, i'm off at the moment but I believe that its the scanner labled KNXVDESK5 that is the one which won't update. The checksum generated shows 0FF when I enter that into the checksum on the website it gives an error saying that the checksum is invalid, thus we cannot get the update or the key to update the software.

Hope that helps , let me know if you need anymore info.

Brian

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You are missing a digit out of your ESN.

Sorry, that was a BCT15.

I can't see the actual unit names w/o actually logging in as you (and to do that I'd need to hijack your account and reset your password).

What are the last 4 of the unit's serial number?

Since the 2125 unit was not updated, I tried it. Was able to register that ESN with checksum 0FF and no problems in my test account. So, I suspect that you are not entering the ESN portion correctly.

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Is it case sensitive?
maybe he was entering 0ff ?

Since the 2125 unit was not updated, I tried it. Was able to register that ESN with checksum 0FF and no problems in my test account. So, I suspect that you are not entering the ESN portion correctly.

ICP963

Feed Provider

Sorry, that was a BCT15.

I can't see the actual unit names w/o actually logging in as you (and to do that I'd need to hijack your account and reset your password).

Could the checksum actually be DFF rather than OFF or 0FF?

KNXVTV

Sorry, that was a BCT15.

I'll check it first thing in the AM and get back to you guys.

Thanks for all the ideas,

Brian

KNXVTV

Once I deleted and re-entered the serial # and the checksum of 0FF it worked. Whats wierd is one of our other desk people here at the station called uniden support and was told that 0FF was an error. In any case now we can update the 996's to the latest revision , including one we have in the truck I need to get added.

Thanks all!!

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it up and going.

Once I deleted and re-entered the serial # and the checksum of 0FF it worked. Whats wierd is one of our other desk people here at the station called uniden support and was told that 0FF was an error. In any case now we can update the 996's to the latest revision , including one we have in the truck I need to get added.

Thanks all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.