Uniden BC 580XLT Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsalexson4689

Hello everyone and thanks for looking. I just purchased a Uniden Bearcat - BC 580XLT off of craigslist and I am in need of some help. I have done extensive searching and I have found very little if any information on this scanner. I would very much like to find a manual that is posted online somewhere that I don't have to pay $20 for. Even is I dont find the manual it would be very helpful to know the operating specs about it: frequency range, options. I am also looking into buying the power adapter but I don't think it is worth the $20 the accessory sites sell them for. Does anyone know if it is crucial to have the one made for this model? AD-580U is the wall adapter model number I think. And last but not least what kind of antenna would I need for this, one with a certain set range of frequencies?Attached is pictures of the scanner. Apparently this was made specifically for Scannerworld.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 4,127
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 3,653
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 3,644

LordJ

I believe the 580 is the Canadian version of the 560xlt. I think everything is the same. I could be wrong, someone will correct me if I am...560xlt manuals should be easy to find...

Bucko

jsalexson4689

Any clue where I can find the manual for free? And I am still not sure what kind of antenna I will need for this, I would like to get a mag mount but I don't know what the frequency range needs to be. Anyone know what I need? And as for the ac adapter, does anyone know if there is anything special about the adapter made for this radio or would a 13.8 Vdc 700 mA generic adapter work fine?

rbhtxk

580xlt

I have had a couple of these, back in the late 1980's early 90's. There is really not too much to it. I think it has a total of 100 memory channels in five banks at 20 channels per bank (1-20 in bank one, 21-40 in bank two and so on). I think the freq range was 30-54 118-136 137-174 and 406-512 MHz. Of course there is not trunking facility and it used an old FM radio Motorola plug to get the RF in. I think it took a couple of AA batteries for memory backup. I think it had a search function (only one search range) by typing in a freq then hitting LMT then hitting the next upper freq in range that you want to search between. There may even be a priority function, meaning that it would check channel 1, the priority channel, every two seconds or so.

To input a channel, you hit the manual button to get to the channel that you wanted to palce the freq in, then you typed up the freq you wanted, then hit the enter button. There was also a per-channel selectable delay (see the dly button). Sorry I don't have a manual and I hope that this helps you.

jsalexson4689

This does help me out, as i did not know the frequency range. Hopefully someone will have the manual for me. Thanks for the info.

rbhtxk said:
I have had a couple of these, back in the late 1980's early 90's. There is really not too much to it. I think it has a total of 100 memory channels in five banks at 20 channels per bank (1-20 in bank one, 21-40 in bank two and so on). I think the freq range was 30-54 118-136 137-174 and 406-512 MHz. Of course there is not trunking facility and it used an old FM radio Motorola plug to get the RF in. I think it took a couple of AA batteries for memory backup. I think it had a search function (only one search range) by typing in a freq then hitting LMT then hitting the next upper freq in range that you want to search between. There may even be a priority function, meaning that it would check channel 1, the priority channel, every two seconds or so.

To input a channel, you hit the manual button to get to the channel that you wanted to palce the freq in, then you typed up the freq you wanted, then hit the enter button. There was also a per-channel selectable delay (see the dly button). Sorry I don't have a manual and I hope that this helps you.

mancow

Database Admin
Throw 12-14 volts in it and it will be fine. Just make sure the polarity ( + - ) are correct and you will be good to go.

kd7ckq

If you can find a BC590XLT manual, I believe that is the US version of the BC580XLT. I had one several years ago.

jsalexson4689

I'm having trouble finding anything about the "BC590XLT".

kd7ckq said:
If you can find a BC590XLT manual, I believe that is the US version of the BC580XLT. I had one several years ago.

jsalexson4689

I have also been looking for an ac adapter for this as well, the one made for this scanner is 13.8 Vdc at 700mA would a 12Vdc 800 mA adapter work? Would it be practical if so?

kd7ckq

>>Model Frequency Range* Modes
>> -------------- ---------------------------------------- --------------------------------
>>BC590XLT 29-54 118-136 136-174 406-512 AM FM<<
From StrongSignals.net

rhutch

jsalexson4689 said:
I have also been looking for an ac adapter for this as well, the one made for this scanner is 13.8 Vdc at 700mA would a 12Vdc 800 mA adapter work? Would it be practical if so?

Yes just make sure the tip polarity is right.

trimmerj

Press the Manual button till Display say's 1. Enter frequency and press E. Press review to check the entry you just made. Press Manual to step to the Next Channel Memory and repeat.

Oops, that's not a 560 is it.... Plz disregard

Last edited:

jsalexson4689

Does anyone know how to use the search and the LMT functions on the radio? I am also trying to figure out how to search between a specific range of frequencies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
IIRC, the 580XLT was the non 800, non PL version of the 590/760. 100 channels, alpha display. To program go the the channel you want to program, enter the frequency, than press E. Step to the next channel you want to program and repeat.

Any power supply that supplies 12 volts should work fine, just watch the tip priority. Any back of set scanner antenna will work. You should be able to find that on Ebay.

The preprogrammed searches are police, fire, aircraft, marine, and weather.

The manual for the UBC760XLT should work although that has 800 Mhz coverage and the 580 doesn't.

The switch on the back locks the key pad, but the Scan/Manual and Priority buttons should work.

To program a search enter the frequency and press LMT, that will be the lower limit. Enter the upper limit and press LMT again.

You will need to enter the decimal when entering frequencies or you'll get an error message.

These were pretty susceptible to intermod.

Status
Not open for further replies.