Uniden BC125AT desktop equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4GED

Hello all, I am currently using two Radio Shack "Realistic" PRO-2030's as my "desktop" scanners. I have started having interference on some of the police frequencies that opens the squelch.

I have a Uniden BC125AT that I carry around as my portable scanner. I really like the features that this device offers. I love the CTCSS and DCS Squelch Modes, Text Tagging, etc. With the tones option, I do not have the interference that I have with the 2030's.

What is a desktop scanner model that offers the same functions as the BC125AT?

Thanks,

Gary

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I think the closest current desktop/mobile model in terms of features is the BCT15X.
It does have many features beyond the BC125AT including analog trunking but the current Uniden models below this one do not appear to have labeled channels (frequency display only) and it is not clear if they have a PC interface. The BCT15X costs about $60 more than the BC125AT.
See:
BCT15XFeatures < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

N9JIG

Sheriff
Uniden does not have a desktop scanner that matches the 125 in price range and features like many of their other scanner series do. (the 436/536, the 996P2 and 325P2 etc.)

For about $50 the BCT15X adds trunking, Fire Toneout etc. It is pretty much the handheld equivalent to the BCD346XT.

The BC125AT is basically the same as the 75XLT but with the addition of a couple features like alpha-tagging of channels and the ability to put in PL/DPL codes.

The low-priced Uniden desktop that comes closest other than the 15 is the BC365CRS, for $100 it has basic scanning but does not have the alpha tag and PL/DPL features so it is more closely related to the BC75XLT.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I also have the BCT15 and the analog performance IMHO beats the analog performance of many of digital trunking scanners. I use it for civil/mil air, marine, and some conventional VHF. Great scanner for the price if you don't need digital, or don't want to tie up a digital trunking scanner for use on things like civ/mil air. I use it together with a BC780XLT for these purposes. The BC125AT for an inexpensive scanner is also very nice handheld with a lot of features.

JamesO

Unfortunately just one scanner usually will not cut it today.

Suggest you also consider the BCD996P2 as well.

This is a Phase 2 compliant scanner that has optional support for DMR and ProVoice and HOPEFULLY??? NXDN in the future as well.

SO many of the Public Service operations are going Digital these days, you will quickly be left behind with the BCT15X, which is a good radio and as mentioned seems to perform a bit better on Analog and Airband. I have a 15X along with many other radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.