Uniden BC346XTC Update Failed Now Unuseable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnd654

I have the BC346XTC model. I tried updating the firmware v1.05 using BC_VUP from:

BC346XTFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

I received an error that read: Programming Error!! I cannot use my scanner now even though I just got is a few days ago. The only thing I can do is power on while pressing L/O and 6 at the same time to update. The update has failed every time.

What do I do? It doesn't appear that I can flash the software without it failing.

MarkWestin

I strongly suspect that the BC346XTC uses slightly different firmware than the "non C" BC346XT. I don't believe that any firmware update has been released for the new "C" model. I suspect that the only one on this Forum that can help you is UPMan. I think that you will have to wait for an answer from him.

Mark

Johnd654

Yeah I realized I probably screwed up. I will contact tech support tomorrow. All I need is a compatible firmware file and I'm 90% sure it will work.

Johnd654

I appreciate your response. I would rather not have to send it out to Texas as I think this could be a simple fix so long as I have the proper firmware. Thank you so much!

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I thought that the firmware install would interrogate the device first thing and end the update if it did not sense the correct device. Apparently that is either 1) incorrect or 2) both models identify themselves the same way (not good Uniden) or 3) the firmware writer failed to include it this time. I'll be curious to see how you make out; crossing fingers.
In any event, it is great that UpMan can attempt to get a fix direct from the engineering staff.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We still cannot figure out how the scanner even tried to "take" the firmware. There are checks in place (based on file name) to prevent applying the wrong firmware to a scanner...the only way we can duplicate is to change the file name, but maybe we've missed some other path. Any way, I've put the factory firmware at the below link. Use BC_VUP to apply it to your scanner (after unzipping).

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BC346XTCFirmwareUpdate/BC346XTC_V1_00_01.zip

Johnd654

Firmware Successful!

Thank you. This fixed my problem. My scanner if now fully functional. I appreciate your time and assistance.

John

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I'd speculate that the update program interrogated the device and "saw" the first 7 characters of BC346XTC, assumed a match and moved on. Unfortunately the update program needs to look to 8 characters.

K8LEA

When I first received my 296, I attempted to apply a firmware update, using the software on the RR site, and trashed the thing pretty badly. Turned out that I was supposed to unZIP the upgrade file and point to the resulting file. Worked fine that time :D....

Apparently the software didn't check anything.... (It did barf, as I recall, but not before it wiped the firmware completely.)

The current software for updating my 396 doesn't seem to have that problem. I'm not sure what's going on, but it just does it's thing without further effort on my part.

Maybe that's what happened here? Wasn't all that clear the first time I tried it. One of those "facepalm" things until I thought about it a little.

Regards,

K8LEA

puzzleriddle:

I'm not sure where I found the software & firmware. Pointed to from RR someplace....

(Probably a sticky on this board.)

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.