Uniden BCD396XT from the beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
A family member purchased a BCD396XT and asked me to program it.
I have some older scanners, but this thing is a beast.
I am as lost as I can get.

I started off looking at the pre-programmed list. I live in NC, so of course, I wanted to listen to NCViper.. or at least while it was charging and I was reading about how to scan.

I found somewhere in the easy to read manual that I have to disable the Alaska service and enable the NCViper. I somehow stumbled through that ok. I think...

Now that I am listening to NCViper, I am not sure what the difference between ID Scan and ID Search.

I am a beginner by far and right now, I am trying to get the big picture here.
I have no idea how many channels, trunking systems, or frequencies are in the NCViper service.

I am not only learning for myself here.. I have to teach someone how to use this thing.
My plan is to program it to where all he has to do is cut it on and off.

I ordered the usb cable today, and I have FreeScan downloaded and installed.

I guess I am going to have to find the Easier to read manual on how to read the easy to read manual. hahaha

Thank you all in advance!!

wtp

id scan will just scan the groups that you set it to.
like here 1616 is dispatch 1 and 1680 is dispatch 2
id search will scan everyone and show the group number
if i leave it on search i see and hear everyone (eg animal control,mosquito,property appraiser,school buses)
so if it gets busy i just hit scan and the radio flips to just hearing 1616, and 1680 or what ever i want to hear.
one guy i ran into just wanted to hear buses because his friend drove one.
this is done by just hitting the scan button
enjoy

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Absolutely no need to hunt for the Easier to Read manual - they're all linked, along with many other links to articles that you will find helpful, at the bottom of

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

I would go down to the NC forum, tell them you are using a 396XT and Freescan, and ask for a VIPER file. Even if it isn't set up precisely the way you want it, sometimes seeing a working example can help turn the light bulb on

Mike

DJ88

id scan will just scan the groups that you set it to.

In ID Scan, it will only scan and receive the trunk system TALK GROUPS you have programmed. In ID Search it will scan and receive all of the active trunk system TALK GROUPS.

There is difference between GROUPS and TALK GROUPS, as you will see if you read the Easier To Read Manual.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
I am reading the manual, but power reading it isn't helping.
I am trying to figure stuff out piece by piece.

I have been looking at it.. even before this post.. but apparently I did not see the section that went over the ID SEARCH and ID SCAN. It just told me how to switch between the two.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
As I mentioned earlier, it might help you if you got a file from someone in the NC area - specify that you're using a 396XT and FreeScan, and which VIPER system you want to hear, and I'm willing to bet someone can send you something

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

Sometimes seeing a working file can help turn the light bulb on...Mike

You did mention it.. and I read it.. I forgot to respond.
I agree that this is a good idea, and thank you!!

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
I am reading the manual, but power reading it isn't helping.
I am trying to figure stuff out piece by piece.

I have been looking at it.. even before this post.. but apparently I did not see the section that went over the ID SEARCH and ID SCAN. It just told me how to switch between the two.

Edward...
The easiest way to explain it is..
ID SEARCH will pick up every talk group that transmits in the system that you are scanning in the GRE trunking scanners they refer to it as BANK OPEN. so if it is a large multi agency system you will recieve each and every transmission that comes across. . Can be a real pain...

ID SCAN mean it will only the talk groups that you have entered in you radio. . GRE calls this BANK CLOSED.
So if you only want the police talk groups of the system that's all you will hear. You pick which WHICH agencies that you want to listen to instead of being bombarded by every single user on the system..

hope that make it clearer for you..

BTW.. you can set ID SCAN or IS SEARCH separately on every system you enter in your radio by going into settings... program system. . Pick which system you want... select EDIT SYS OPTION..then go to ID SCAN/SEARCH and pick which one you want..

Good luck...be patient. .these radio take awhile to get used to..but once you do they are a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.