Uniden bcd396xt programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefHawkeye

Premium Subscriber
So i have a been reading a lot of guys remove their batteries every time they charge this scanner for heat/melting reasons. Is this totally necessary? The batteries also say charge for 14 hours at 230mA.
Should they really be in their 14 hours? Or the quick charge says 133 minutes at 1150mA. So i guess I'm confused how long I should charge it. I also have an external energizer battery charger that says it does NiMH and NiCd batteries. On the back of the charger it says 15 hour charge time with no time control, just 15 hours. and AA batteries will charge 150mA at 2.8V

I understand some of that but the charging differences is over my head. Any help on what you guys think is best let me know, thanks a lot.

Also I cant figure out how to get back to my menu screen. When i hit menu it says "Key safe mode press FUNC while power on for full operation"

However I do not think my keylock is on, also while messing with this i cant get my scanner to stay on my group and it constantly switches over to an FM band. I don't know what is going on.

Last edited:

ChiefHawkeye

Premium Subscriber
Tried reloading my groups and still cant figure it out. Im on the channel i want to be and it send me to a band like air or FM. I dont what i did to make it do this but i just want to listen to ankenys 4 channels and nothing else. Very frustrated any help would be great. Again before it was scanning all of Racom system which is what I want, then all the sudden go to Air or FM and i cant figure out how to get back to Racom and make it stay there like it was.

basically i can get back to what I have programmed in the scanner but within a few seconds it goes to Air. I cannot figure it out. I guess if someone could give me a quick guide on how to stay on the group in want only that would be very helpful.

I tried last resort and cleared my scanner. now when i go to upload what i had previously it tells me "scan mode nothing to scan" even tho i just imported the RACOM system in Iowa. Would appreciate any help guys this has got me on edge and the manuals dont seem to be doing much for me.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Usually "Nothing to Scan" means that all your systems, sites or groups as assigned to quick keys but none of the quick keys are enabled. There's several posts on the "Nothing to Scan" topic with greater details

ChiefHawkeye

Premium Subscriber
Yeah i couldn't find anything for most of my questions that's why i created a post. I just want to know how to to scan Ankeny fire and police only,. was working fine past few days now I hit a button and cant get it to stay on Ankeny. Scanners sure arrnt what they used to be that's for sure

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually there are several causes of the infamous 'Nothing to Scan' message, and they're documented here

Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki

As to scanning FM, etc. you've likely got a quick key assigned to the Service Search function somehow. Since you're using FreeScan (right?) you can easily stop this by going to Scanner / Setup Scanner Options and selecting the Service Search tab. You want nothing to be assigned in this screen. Alternatively you can manually disable it by hitting FUNC+L/O L/O (yes twice - doing it only once disables it for that session only) while scanning that service. Freescan has its own user manual which you can get to via Help / Online Help.

We have an extensive article with links to just about everything you need, including our extensive DMA FAQ, links to the Easier to Read manual (which was given earlier) and lots more here...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You have to learn how quick keys work - they're the key to what does or does not get scanned. There's a section on this in the FAQ, likely in the Easier to Read manual and in the FreeScan manual

HTH...Mike

ChiefHawkeye

Premium Subscriber
Well got it going, turned out I had to refresh my COM port after i cleared the scanner last night so there was nothing programmed. Duh me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.