Uniden BCD986XT "Finding CtrlChan" message

Status
Not open for further replies.

captjim

I have encountered a small glitch in my scanning and I'm hoping someone might have an answer. I've been scanning my local 700 band for several months with no problems. Now all of a sudden I'm getting nothing. If I hit the hold button and stop on one of the 700 band channels, I'm seeing a flashing message that says "Finding CtrlChan", which I assume to mean finding the control channel. It was there - it's been programmed into my scaner because I've been listening to radio traffic on those channels, but now there's nothing but silence. I tried reloading the programmed frequencies from my computer into the scanner, but there's no change.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Jim

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Assuming no hardware fault (can you receive other things?), then it is possible that you have a typo on a control channel freq, they have started using a new freq for control channel, or there is some other system change.

captjim

Problem Solved - they have started using a new control channel frequency that isn't listed in the RR database (yet). I was able to obtain it from a trusted source, and now my scanner won't shut up!

Markinsac

My 396XT shows the "Finding CtrlChan" message any time I put my unit on hold on a talkgroup. I have several LTR systems programmed, and I get that message for each system if I stop to wait for traffic on that group.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

n4yek

My 396XT shows the "Finding CtrlChan" message any time I put my unit on hold on a talkgroup. I have several LTR systems programmed, and I get that message for each system if I stop to wait for traffic on that group.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

An LTR system doesn't have a 'control channel' that controls the system. When you 'hold' on a talkgroup on an LTR system, it is looking for that ID to pop up on the channel assigned to the talkgroup. Once someone keys up on that ID, it will flash on the repeater and the scanner will see it and open the squelch, even switch to a different repeater if necessary.
So 'Finding Control Channel' is something you will have to endure on your LTR systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.