Uniden bcd996xt from EBay, first steps to take

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnumfan

Just bought a used bcd996xt, very excited to get it. What should I do when I get it to remove the previous owners settings and saved frequencies? Should I do a reset to factory defaults or am I just able to overwrite everything with my own programming, using freescan and then manually go thru the menu and change settings as needed?
Also is there a method to check production date using the serial number?
Any other things I should check over, seeing that it is used? Looked to be in really good condition and I snagged it for $240. Thanks guys

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are a few things to be done;

a. If you don't have a USB-serial cable, you'll need to get one. While it's safest to get the Uniden USB1, there are many after-market ones that will also work just fine. We have an extensive article on this subject in our wiki - be CAREFUL that you don't buy one of those el-cheapo knockoffs from fleabay - the Chinese have invaded this market, and you don't want to go that route...(note: both here and in the wiki, links are always blue)

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Be very aware of what operating system you are using - Windows has become finicky as all get out about getting the right drivers for the right OS

b. FreeScan has a setting on the upload form to wipe all systems and settings - you will want to do this to start off, and any time you make wholesale changes to your programming (and you undoubtedly will do this more than once). This is important - if you are simply making changes to a system or group, then use the REPLACE option.

c. While you can't determine the production date, you can see whether your firmware is up to date. This article gives you the particulars...

Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Be very sure to follow any of the directions EXACTLY. Do not take any shortcuts, no matter how odd the instructions may be.

If it were me, I'd pop the covers and check for loose connections (particularly between the antenna jack and circuit board). That's a good price for a used scanner - if a bit low. It's possible someone was getting rid of it because their area was going to Phase 2.

One more thing - we also have an article that kinda takes you from the beginning and shows you the various things you will need to know. The Easier to Read manuals (written by a RR member) are also linked at the bottom of...

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on your 996XT. Before changing anything I would do a basic check of the hardware. Check the knobs, keypad, serial port , audio ports, and BNC connector for any damage . Then connect an antenna and tune it to your local weather channel - test the audio thru the speaker and headphone jack .Test the squelch and volume controls. Look at the display and make sure you see no missing characters and that your back light is working.

Once you see and hear that all is functioning properly, I would do a full factory reset and then use Freescan to program your scanner. Other than that you should be good to go.

I would use the 996XT for a few hours and get familiar with the basic operation. DO NOT attempt any firmware upgrades until you are certain that you have established good connection without any errors.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
But you can't apply any firmware fixes via the rear port - they can only be applied from the front

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.