Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I’m new to scanning and I don’t think I can figure it out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGnG

I voted: Yes, because it has the entire US/Canadian database at my fingertips

I think it's great you can just put in a zip code and have all the freqs.

also you can program it like the 396XT and cause it's the fancy new one :p

should get my 436 by the end of the week or early next week.. CANT WAIT!

NYPDAUX

It seems like the new models 536 and 436 from Uniden are having problems veterans are having problems doing things they normally did with a previous radio I'm wondering how user friendly for beginners should a beginner stray away from this particular radio and wait for something that's more user-friendly for beginner and is Uniden addressing some of the issues that veteran uses are having

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Waiting for reports on audio, I am disappointed with the AGC on the HP1, either the volume is too low or too loud. Also going to wait and see if the APP is going to cost 100 bucks.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Waiting to see further reports on any bugs, firmware, screen / font visibility, and most importantly, audio. (It will be interesting to see what Whistler does this year, too. The PSR-900 would be awesome.)

My previous experiences with the BCT15, BR330, and BC346 were disappointing as far as build quality and tinny audio. Uniden products definitely have better selectivity vs GRE, but the audio output really needs to be improved. IMHO, what good is an expensive scanner if I need to run an external speaker or headphones for quality listening?

So... at great temptation, I am resisting the BCDx36HP line until the early adopters report back. :D

scannersnstuff

waiting on a de-bugged version of the bcd436hp. want to see more reviews and videos. this is in no way,shape or form bad mouthing the fine efforts of uniden or upman. many thanks.

i cannot wait ! .

NYPDAUX

I also agree with the last posting I will wait to see if there is an updated version of the 436 I am anxious to get my hands on one being that my county is on the p25 network and my truck tracker 3 cannot receive those frequencies

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It seems like the new models 536 and 436 from Uniden are having problems veterans are having problems doing things they normally did with a previous radio I'm wondering how user friendly for beginners should a beginner stray away from this particular radio and wait for something that's more user-friendly for beginner and is Uniden addressing some of the issues that veteran uses are having

Well, as I read one review today, the radio was pulled out of the box, powered on, time and date set, zip code entered, and the user was happily scanning his local police and fire. Not bad. :cool:

NYPDAUX

While doing some field testing of the 536 on Maryland's Eastern Shore, I experienced some quite unexpected difficulties in monitoring a few Motorola Type II digital 800 trunked systems.....specifically Harford County and the Upper Eastern Shore Consortium. Same troubles with the DE 800 systems of New Castle County and Kent County (DE). While driving in fairly rural areas, decoding rapidly fluctuated back and forth from great to very poor. The S meter seemed to dip down to low levels each time the decoding suffered and came right back up to a solid 5 bars when decoding recovered. I was not near any obvious cell towers, etc. It is worth noting that the Uniden 796/296/996 and the GRE radios have always handled these very well designed county/state systems phenomenally well - on the exact same routes of travel. Curiously, my 536 was handling comparable type II systems in Howard County MD and Anne Arundel County MD rather well during testing days ago.

I'll likely return to these same areas soon to try various forms of attenuation ... but the rapid shifts between great and poor reception isn't really classic for front end overload. All antenna connections are rock solid. The issues were confirmed on both of my vehicle's 536 radios. Any thoughts?

I've seen posts like this its good its bad it bad that is good I just prefer to wait for them to tweet a review a little bit and then released another upgrade not bad mouthing just very expensive item and I want to get the best out of it

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Last edited:

XTS3000

No: I'd rather wait for the 'B' version after all the bug fixes.

Agreed! There are so many bugs in the favorites list, you have to program favorites with Sentinal, then go into the scanner programming and fix and activate favorites lists that should already be active. It's a very frustrating scanner if your intentions are to use it as a conventional (i.e. 396XT) scanner, rather than a HP.

This 436HP is going back in the box until Uniden gets their act together and fix all the bugs - too many to list. Its a nice scanner, but NOT ready for public release. Makes ya wonder how all the beta testers missed all the bugs? Time for a new group of beta testers next scanner release. I plan on keeping the 436, but it will be shelved for now until the "B" revision.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well I dove straight in a bought 2 BCD536HP radios and I am 90 percent completely happy so far. The biggest bug I have found is the headphone hissing noise and some minor Sentinel Software issues. I never use the USA database. I always turn it off and program my radios my self with the copy and paste features within excel to Sentinel. Pretty easy after spending a few days with the software.

I love the display. Its larger and more text can be seen on the screen for more details on the system you are scanning and listening too for your own personal preferences..

the audio sounds better out of the speaker and the radio has a better sensitivity than any other of the older units. But I have come to realize that "it's a give and take situation" with whatever you buy.

Hope the bugs get worked out soon and more firmware updates get sent sooner than later.

I can surely say that these radios needed another six more months of testing. Uniden sold these radios way too soon. Can't wait to see what Whistler announces in the next few months.

scannersnstuff

This 436HP is going back in the box until Uniden gets their act together and fix all the bugs - too many to list. Its a nice scanner, but NOT ready for public release. Makes ya wonder how all the beta testers missed all the bugs? Time for a new group of beta testers next scanner release. I plan on keeping the 436, but it will be shelved for now until the "B" revision.

i was led to believe that one could programm the favorites list from scratch, just like the 396xt. if this is the case, i'll be skipping the 436 for now. i'm still not a genius with mt 396xt or 996xt. can't afford anymore hair loss. look what scanners did to paul !......

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

greggk

Premium Subscriber
There was one option missing from the poll. How About:

"Yes, I plan to buy one as I do not want to miss out on something new, even tho I know I will never figure it out."

Works for me. :lol:

Now to blow another foot of snow..

I must agree with what others have said...that the software is NOT user friendly at all. I Manually program my 996T, and use Butel for my Pro 106, all with no issues. I cannot make sense of the Sentinel, and it is NOT because I did not research this, or ask questions, or practice with it. I Did.

Nor can I blame Uniden; I knew it would be tough going for a while.

I will pay Butel for their new software when it becomes available. I might be fooling myself by waiting..its a risk I will take. :) I hope this 436 will be the latest craze for many years.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.