• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Uniden BCT15 firmware v1.06 update problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a BCT15. It's currently operating with firmware v1.03.04. I would like to update it with v1.06.00. I have downloaded the firmware and updating application, and get the following response:

Error
This scanner is not an object for BCT15
Rewriting is impossible
Please turn off the power and remove the cable

I have confirmed with the FCCID, model number on the back and front, and even the remote command interface via hyperterminal (MDL,BCT15 VER,Version 1.03.04) and the rs-232 cable that it is indeed a BCT15 and not a BCT15x and my application of the BCT15_V1_06_00.scn firmware with BC_VUP_v2.0.0.7.exe should have worked without flaws. However, on six different computers and four different Windows operating systems, including as far back as Win98SE, Win2k, XP, and Win7; different com port speeds, and different RS-232 ports from the built-into-the-mainboard ports to USB adapters, I continue to get this error message.

Hopefully someone out there knows where I'm going wrong here.

Thanks.

d'ough

Just found the problem, the RS-232 cable was bad. Even though I take good care of my gear, at some point the cable got kinked and was flakey. Good thing the firmware update never worked with this cable or I could have bricked my BCT15. I just fabricated a new cable, tested it with a multimeter to verify it's reliability, and the firmware update worked without a problem this time. Too bad that was my only factory RS232 Uniden cable. At least now I have a 12ft cable, just in case I ever need one that long. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.