HP-2: Uniden external speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Uniden have now moved that function to software for the SDS200. Many scanners cuts the power to the loudspeaker amplifier when not in use or have a mute function in that amplifier. Some scanners only mute the low level audio, perhaps before it reaches the volume control, and those scanners often have a background hum and noise from the speaker that are annoying in a quiet room, like a bedroom at night.
/Ubbe

I've never had a scanner that made any noise at all when not receiving a signal. But if I did that would be a nice feature to have. Considering the BC23A does not need to be connected to a 12V supply or any other power source, how does the amplifier obtain it's power?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I've never had a scanner that made any noise at all when not receiving a signal. But if I did that would be a nice feature to have. Considering the BC23A does not need to be connected to a 12V supply or any other power source, how does the amplifier obtain it's power?

I believe the Uniden BC23a amplified speaker gets it's power from 13.8v DC (with inline fuse, the speaker is marketed for vehicular use) would need a power supply on the desk to run it. I could be wrong.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I looked at dozens pictures and could not see a red light or a DC power cord or jack anywhere.
It is right in the manual connecting power.
41ca95653db22a7abe26c8e5c2af153e.jpg

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Uniden have now moved that function to software for the SDS200. Many scanners cuts the power to the loudspeaker amplifier when not in use or have a mute function in that amplifier. Some scanners only mute the low level audio, perhaps before it reaches the volume control, and those scanners often have a background hum and noise from the speaker that are annoying in a quiet room, like a bedroom at night.

/Ubbe
Agreeing with UBBE

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Agreeing with UBBE
I believe it is not a power saving feature. The scanner’s audio circuit produces a very mild hum nearly unnoticeable until you connect an “active” amplified speaker (as opposed to a “passive” unamplified speaker) to it, where the hum becomes amplified and noticeable. I have two of the BC23A’s. One works well with the red lamp activating when a signal is present. The other I believe is defective. No red light when a signal is present. I do hear audio but it’s not as loud as it should be. I opened the case and discovered the un-insulated lamp leads were twisted together. I straightened and separated them but saw no improvement. The lamp still does not eliminate when it should. Since I purchased both two years ago, one as a spare, the warrenty has expired. ( I just recently had a need for the spare and learned it was defective.) So I have an external speaker that plays like a passive speaker but needs power! And since returning it for repair probably cost the better part of a new one ($28), I’ll probably just get another new one. But I’m playing with the idea of looking at the amplified speaker offering s in the ham community. More expensive but some come with the ability to adjust tonal quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.