Uniden FTO DTMF

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJS

Premium Subscriber
Anybody know how to program DTMF Tones for FTO option in Uniden Digital scanners, or UPMAN any plans for this option?

Thx!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
What little I know about DTMF is that they are a combination of two frequencies that are of short duration. Most fire paging systems I am aware of require tone sequences of 1/2 or 2/3 seconds.

I was thinking scanners require a certain tone length in order to do its thing.

There is also a way you can use the scanner to do a tone search. See the manual - if the scanner is an x36 model, its on page 78.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I am not aware of any scanner with DTMF detect. Tone-out does not work with DTMF.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I am not aware of any scanner with DTMF detect. Tone-out does not work with DTMF.

My Yaesu FT-50RD HT would do DTMF decode, which was quite handy back when the OKC FD was alerting stations with DTMF bursts. They don't do that any more and I no longer have the FT-50, so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am pretty sure there are other amateur HTs that will decode DTMF, but like the man said, no scanners.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
HTX202, HTX404, ...well, most of the RS amateur radios would decode DTMF.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
It would encode and decode.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/radio-shack/htx-202/htx-202-owners-manual.pdf

One of my earlier written works. :)

I'll be darned - p. 34. I guess I'd forgotten.

That was a great radio and a great manual. Pretty much been all downhill for RS since then, sadly. Miss getting my new catalog every year.

My 202 is sitting next to a KPC3, complete with custom cable, waiting for me to get off my ASCII and set it up for packet, maybe on satellite (ISS is currently doing packet only on 70cm and I don't have a 404!).

N9JIG

Sheriff
The FD's in the town I worked in (on the PD) used DTMF for toneout so I bought a Veetronics alert receiver for it (which itself was a Uniden 355 scanner modified). I eventually convinced them to go back to tone alerting so I could use my BCT15 (the fringe benefit of being "the radio guy" for the town...)

As far as I know you can still get DTMF alert receivers from Veetronics and possibly Federal that handle DTMF. I gave my old one to a friend from a nearby department that still used DTMF, same sequence but on a different freq.

Hoseman292

Apologies that DTMF isn't compatible with Fire Tone Out. The original Quik Call was basically DTMF the lower tone frequencies transmitted sequentially.
You might consider building your own decoder with one of the inexpensive DTMF decoders posted on eBay.
I spent $14 for one recently to build a remote radio operated P.A. system / siren.
Just an idea. Where there's an interest, there's a way.

Good Luck
Tim

Anybody know how to program DTMF Tones for FTO option in Uniden Digital scanners, or UPMAN any plans for this option?

Thx!

Hoseman292

Uniden FTO two thumbs up!

Let the fellas at Uniden know they built the very best programmable two tone decoder radio available. I bought a BCT-15X strictly to serve as a alert monitor and couldn't be happier. Everything from the custom alert sounds to the auto reset timing is perfect.
Awesome field programmable user interface. No missed pages or falsing.

I have friends who use their BCD-396T run through amplifiers in their fire stations.
Any thoughts on Uniden building a one or two channel programmable alert receiver?

It would encode and decode.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/radio-shack/htx-202/htx-202-owners-manual.pdf

One of my earlier written works. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.