Uniden-HP Waterloo Region??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Giving some serious thought to add a HP to the family. I was just looking for some feedback pos/neg prior to doing so. I live in SW Ontario (Waterloo Region) and at persent own a Uniden BC 780xlt. Also your opnion on any "Extras" other then just the unit would be appreaciated. Thanking you in advance. ~ Jer

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Its a good unit as you just enter a postal code and go from there. All north america is in the radio.
I like that they give you a 12volt cigarette adapter as well (one of the first handheld radios to do so).

Neg - Note I find it gives almost "too much" sometimes giving me NY state stuff even on 1 mile radius. But thats not a huge problem easier to avoid/lockout those channels.
Speaker is not the greatest but thats to be expected ina handheld sized unit. Can not be heard while on the highway.

Accessories - external antenna (or just a better antenna).. SMA adapter if using a BNC antenna as the radio is SMA (like the 396T but least the 396 came with the adapter).
GPS Mount either the uniden / RAM mount/ or a large universal mount that can handle the size weight.
Possibly an external speaker or lin-in to yoru car stereo if you deem necessary.

I sell the HP-1 for $500 canadian brand new in box with warranty no tax. Iim in Scarborough so either local pickup or I can ship it to you (any shipping is extra).
Im sold out should be getting more in this week.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Giving some serious thought to add a HP to the family. I was just looking for some feedback pos/neg prior to doing so. I live in SW Ontario (Waterloo Region) and at persent own a Uniden BC 780xlt. Also your opnion on any "Extras" other then just the unit would be appreaciated. Thanking you in advance. ~ Jer

Jeremy: It is a great radio. When it first came out it was limited to what the database here had but they have upgraded this scanner tremendously. With the free upgrade you can create favourites and now you can scan more than one fave list at a time, up to 256.

The free upgrade allows for tweaking of how the information you can see appears on your scream.

It also now allows you to tag the UIDS, radio Id's so you can tag all the different cars and EMS units.

The audio is good, it is portable and like Kris said it comes with a car charger and a house charger.

You can also record what you hear, they give you a 2Gig memory card which is cool.
Buy a better antenna, Lakeshore has good ones as does Durham or RadioWorld.

And as Kris says, he sells them and I would stand by anything he sells, he is a great guy who loaned me, never met me yet, a scanner when I was selling my 396T , to use till mine came.

Hope your back is ok, I heard of some experiemtal treatment that might be able to help.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
Hey

Eric: Thanks for the info. As for my back well I honestly cannot complain, but I have a friend who is in VERY rough shape. So any info I can pass on to he would be great. I am so sorry I lost touch with you I have have a very stress-filled few months. If you have a moment would you mind Em me
tmbstn@rogers.com and I can fill you in and we can catch up. I deleted my directory for my EM and so doing lost alot of info. I am glad I have somewhat of a good memory, but still lost many addresses. Look forward to catching up.~ Jer.

69stiles

I live in Waterloo Region & mine works great. I just did the upgrade & it is a huge improvement.
I am thinking of selling mine though because I never listen to OPP & I could buy 2 analogue radios for the same price. PM me if there's any interest

Status
Not open for further replies.