Uniden Scanner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EARMEL

Premium Subscriber
Hello
I have a Uniden BCD996T Trunk Tracker IV. Winchester, Virginia has updated their radio system to System Type - Project 25 Phase II, System Voice is APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive simulcast. I have down loaded the programing thru Radio References Web Site but do not receive anything Does any one know if this scanner is compatible with this system.

EARMEL

Premium Subscriber
Buddrousa
Thank You for the quick reply. I guess I will be going shopping for a new scanner. I have been scanning for over 40 years and the new technology is getting way ahead of this old guy LOL. The Interface is great. Just took me a little while to get the hang of it. Thank you for the model recommendation I have been a Uniden customer since the days of 8 channel crystals

kmi8dy

EARMEL, dito on buddrousa info. you will like the bcd996p2, i have 2 of them, it programs % 99 like the 996t. you can use freescan software ( it's free ) and works great. easy to use. my last 3 scanners were from AMAZON, i'm a member so i have it in my hands two days after i order, and found they are the best deal around. have fun. my first scanner was a bearcat crystal one also back in the day. i think it had 4 crystals, my second one had 8 crystals.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Buddrousa
Thank You for the quick reply. I guess I will be going shopping for a new scanner. I have been scanning for over 40 years and the new technology is getting way ahead of this old guy LOL. The Interface is great. Just took me a little while to get the hang of it. Thank you for the model recommendation I have been a Uniden customer since the days of 8 channel crystals
You're speaking, I believe, of this system:
Winchester Trunking System, Winchester, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

While the system description says P25 Phase II, all of the listed talkgroups, at least for now, are marked as D in the Mode column. That means that they are currently P25 Phase I, which your 996T will handle. However, as the system is capable of Phase II, they may be planning to upgrade to that at a later date, in which case the 996P2, or other Phase II capable scanner, would be a good choice for the future. Ph25 Phase II talkgroups will be marked with a T in the Mode column. Additionally, more systems are changing to Phase II, especially in larger metro areas. If you take a scanner with you when traveling, whether for business, pleasure, or visting friends or relatives, it's likely that somewhere along the way you will encounter one or more Phase II systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.