Uniden sensitivity question- please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
I just received my new BR-330T from HamRadioOutlet.com today and was able to get it programmed and up and going. My question is: I have this radio in the same room with a Radio Shack Pro-164 (I've never owned Uniden before) and the 330 is missing the first 0.5 to 1 second of transmissions that the Pro-164 is picking up. I have delay time set at 2 seconds and hold time at 0, as recommended on the 330. Squelch is at about 25% on the Uniden and 50% on the Pro-164. Is the RS handheld just that much more sensitive than the Uniden or is there some setting I haven't found yet? I'm kind of amazed at this, considering every review on here of the 330 is glowing (thus, the reason I searched for and bought a new one). FYI... both are on stock ducks (I have even put a Maldol MH-255 on each, back and forth and it still happened). Can someone please advise/help me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

n2mdk

The GRE made scanners do tend to be more sensitive, are you scanning or holding on the channel/TGID. The GRE's also seem to scan the trunked systems faster than the Unidens do.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
I'm holding on a channel and comparing. I have also hit "scan" on both to compare. The RS definitely gets the whole conversation whereas the Uniden misses the first 0.5 second. The trade off seems to be, when the RS is overloading like a mad man, the Uniden is perfectly clear. It's too bad I can't combine the dynamic memory of the Uniden, the clarity of the Uniden and the speed of the RS... all in the Uniden's compact body... now that would be a perfect scanner (of course, without the ever-so-lovable NASCAR logo).... lol

If you come up with any ideas of what might speed this bad boy up, please do let me know.

Appreciate the help....

RogerH11

axledobe said:
My question is: I have this radio in the same room with a Radio Shack Pro-164 (I've never owned Uniden before) and the 330 is missing the first 0.5 to 1 second of transmissions that the Pro-164 is picking up. I have delay time set at 2 seconds and hold time at 0, as recommended on the 330. Squelch is at about 25% on the Uniden and 50% on the Pro-164. Is the RS handheld just that much more sensitive than the Uniden or is there some setting I haven't found yet?

You don't give very much info on how they are programmed. Are you only listening to one CC or are you scanning more than one freq.?
My guess is that you are listening to more than one freq. and Uniden (in the past) seems to hold onto a CC longer than GRE before moving onto another CC or freq.

axledobe

Premium Subscriber
With CTCSS on, I'm finding it to be more of a 0.25 second to zero difference now. I'm on Conventional system only (as nothing major is trunked in my area). We're now running very, very close to hand in hand. I've found that the Uniden is much less static prone, as well. After playing around for a few more hours today, I'm very happy with my purchase.

P.S. That 3M electrical tape worked wonders on the beautiful Nascar logo.

clifford1

My Radio Shack (GRE) Pro-95 is way more sensitive than my BCD396T. I, too, wish you could combine the best of both.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-95 is also about double the size of the 396, and apparently will bigger radios will receive better due to the size.. dont ask me why.

Status
Not open for further replies.