Uniden Tech Support number

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else had problems getting in touch with an actual human voice at Uniden? I've made many attempts in the past 2 weeks but constantly get a "higher volume than normal" at any time of business hours.

I just want a simple answer about my 396xt and also want to order some parts. The website tells me to call customer service and the phone tells me to visit the Web page. Infinite death spiral syndrome...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1: What is your simple question?
2: With release of the new scanners, we are seeing higher call volume.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Upman, please reference to my previous post which got no replies. The simple question is: is this possible without proprietary software available only to uniden techs?

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/281845-bcd-396xt-parts-swap-346xt.html

I would still like to speak to a rep on the phone about parts without waiting an hour.

Umm... wow... well, all I can say after reading the referenced post is "if that's a simple question, what's your idea of a hard one?" :D

In all seriousness, I think you'd be better off sending the broken scanner in for repair and let the professionals fix it for you - that way you KNOW it's going to work when you get it back, and I don't think it should cost more than $150 if all they need to do is swap out a board. It would suck to spend $150 on a 346XT and then find out that the board isn't compatible (and God forbid you damage it in the process, then you've got TWO broken scanners instead of one).

Several years ago I took apart one of my scanners thinking I could fix it myself. I fixed it alright - it's a dandy paperweight now. Lesson learned.

-AZ

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
It would be a board swap along with a case swap. I'm an electronics tech so something like a simple task like that isn't much of anything for me. I just want to know if it will work. Is there different firmware or would I need to calibrate the rf board to the main board, etc? After studying the material I am asking, a simple yes or no is all I need and I believe that someone at Uniden would be capable of getting me that info or pricing on the parts to do it myself if no calibration is needed.

I suppose that I am more upset that my request through the service department left open questions and gave me links to pages that just required me to talk to a customer service rep to which I cannot get a hold of anyone regardless of how long I wait in the phone queue.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
It would be a board swap along with a case swap. I'm an electronics tech so something like a simple task like that isn't much of anything for me. I just want to know if it will work. Is there different firmware or would I need to calibrate the rf board to the main board, etc? After studying the material I am asking, a simple yes or no is all I need and I believe that someone at Uniden would be capable of getting me that info or pricing on the parts to do it myself if no calibration is needed.

I suppose that I am more upset that my request through the service department left open questions and gave me links to pages that just required me to talk to a customer service rep to which I cannot get a hold of anyone regardless of how long I wait in the phone queue.

This doesn't really help you much, but I'd be willing to bet Uniden would never answer a question like that. They can't officially support someone swapping parts from one model to another...but I could be wrong.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

I hear ya, but put yourself in Paul or Uniden's shoes. If they say "yes" and then you fry your scanner (or worse, hurt yourself - don't laugh, it can happen), you'll have a potential legal claim against Uniden for telling you to go ahead and swap boards in your scanner based on your claim here on this anonymous message board that you are an electronics tech. I could likewise claim that I am the King of Versailles. Doesn't make it so, and shouldn't be the basis for answering your question. As another poster said, the flat rate repair charge is $50. Given that information I think the best answer Paul or Uniden or anyone else could give you is to spend the fifty bucks and send it in. That's really a no brainer, both legally and logically.

The good news is if you elect to simply send it in for repair, you don't have to wait on the phone! Per the Uniden repair website:

HOW TO SEND A PRODUCT IN FOR REPAIR

If you would like to send a unit in for service, please follow the steps below:

1.Attach a letter to the actual unit with a brief description of the problems you are having with the unit.

2.Make sure you print your complete name, address, and phone number on the letter.

3.If the unit is covered under warranty, you must enclose a copy of your receipt or proof of purchase.

***Warranty covers manufacturer’s defects only. Units that are under warranty will be repaired/replaced and shipped to you at no cost.***

• If the unit is no longer covered under warranty, you must enclose payment with the unit. To determine the cost, you should look up the repair fee on our web site Home at Uniden America. You may pay by check, money order or credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. Please include the expiration date and cardholders name with the credit card number.

• In order to expedite the return of your Uniden product, it is our policy to service or exchange and return “out of warranty” items without furnishing an estimate unless the service charge exceeds the standard repair cost.

• If your unit is not repairable or the charge is going to exceed the standard repair cost, you will be notified in writing with an estimate. This estimate will also be available when checking the repair status online.

• Ship your unit prepaid via UPS or FEDEX or any carrier with a tracking system to:

Uniden America Corp.
C/O Saddle Creek
743 Henrietta Creek Rd., Suite 100
Roanoke, Texas 76262

Seems pretty simple to me and no risk of blowing up your scanner if the 346XT board isn't compatible with the 396XT scanner (and it probably isn't, despite looking identical to the 396XT's board - all it takes is one different chip on there somewhere and "FFZT!" - a puff of white smoke later you're sending it in for repair anyway. Better safe than sorry when it comes to a $500 radio IMHO). Plus no waiting on the phone, which is nice.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
-AZ

JoeyC

This doesn't really help you much, but I'd be willing to bet Uniden would never answer a question like that. They can't officially support someone swapping parts from one model to another...but I could be wrong.

I'd be willing to bet you are 100% correct. Not only that, I can't imagine anyone in the customer service department having the technical know-how required to answer that simple question.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Being able to talk to someone in support who could tell me it would be $50 would have had me gladly sending the unit to them. No answers on the tech support number means taking matters into my own hands and getting past the point of frustration by fixing it by myself. If it works it is quite therapeutic. I'm not looking for official support on here (radioreference) but rather someone who's done this before... You know, created a Frankenstein and goes the path that everyone else says is impossible. 90% of the time (the other 10% is usually lack of research) I take that path and am rewarded with excellent results and a job that loves what I can do for them. "I void warranties" even though this particular radio has no warranty to void.

It's what people did before the throw - it - away age we're in today.

AZscan, yes in a message board it is anonymous and I'm not going to disagree with you but IF I could get a hold of Uniden to verify the $50+ $15 shipping, we wouldn't be having this conversation now. Thing is, they only accept prepayment so you have to be spot on or you'll never see your radio again?? More questions that I have... I'm not blindly packaging a zip lock bag of parts into a box expecting them to have it restored for $50. I sure as shoot know I would pass on that, it's just not smart business.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I sent my 996XT in for repair recently. I included a check with my radio for $49.50 plus $10 for return shipping. This is standard charge and they will let you know if it will exceed that. Mine didn't. Easy peasy and had it back good as new in about two weeks. I never called them so I can't speak to that.

Take a look at the Uniden repair page for more.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

[SIZE=+2]Rates[/SIZE]

Flat rate repair charges are for out-of-warranty products and in most cases, include all parts and labor necessary to bring your product back to the original specifications.

Shipping and applicable taxes will be added to these charges. Please include $10 for shipping & handling charges if in the US or $15 for shipping & handling charges if in Canada. International charges will vary.

Send Item for Repair
Model Repair Available Repair Price
BCD396XT Yes $49.50
Product Repair

Last edited:

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I am floored. I did get in an email where to send the radio/check to. $49+shipping. Upman, Thank you for being the name of your company and making this right.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Sigh... I should have taken my chances buying the 346xt and transplanting parts. It is estimated to leave the repair facility the day I go on vacation.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate repair centers and that is part of the reason I learned to fix things on my own and get into the occupation I'm in.

But I might hurt myself so I'll wait 6 weeks to get it back.

JamesO

Yea, not sure what is up with Uniden Repair!!!!

I sent something in for repair, they DO NOT communicate with you AT ALL!!!!

I sent credit card payment info, problem was they did not say what they would not take. I used my AMEX.

Well the clowns could have contacted me the day they opened up the box.

Well I get a letter on Friday, they need payment, do not accept AMEX.

So I was on hold FOREVER, never got through.

Decided to try and Fax the info over, tried 6 times. even after hours, Fax number constantly rings busy.

Well they said I had 20 days to pay or they would dispose of the scanner.

The letter was dated Jan 29th, so I am on day 12 now and if I try and mail a check, who knows if it will get there in time??

Guess I should just write this scanner off, thanks Uniden!

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Holy crap! Are you serious?

What the $#&* is going on with Uniden?

I was waiting for all the bugs to get shaken out on the x36HP's for a few months before I pay $500 for a constant headache, but stuff like this scares me.

The scanners DO seem pretty neat overall but poor customer service is unacceptable in my book.

JamesO

I have money I want to give to Uniden, they could have just called me or emailed me.

I provided all my contact info.

But they choose to snail mail me a letter, then when I get it, on Friday they are closed.

Just tried to Fax the message over again, line still busy at almost 10 pm EST!

When will someone check the stupid Fax machine in Customer Service.

My 14 & 17 year old could do a better job then this with me on vacation!

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
On Sunday I sent an email to support starting that I had not yet received an sro number but my package had been delivered 5 days prior.

At least I got a prompt reply to my most recent inquiry, I guess.

Well, our radios can be buddies on some shelf until they either get euthanized or repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.