• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Uniden to program your scanner for a fee...

Status
Not open for further replies.

STiMULi

I got this in an email from Uniden today :)

SCANNER PROGRAMMING

Uniden will be happy to program your scanner for you. Please see details below:

Customer Provides:

Scanner frequencies, cities and counties of frequencies

Payment should accompany request. Acceptable payment forms are credit card, money order, personal check or cashier’s check payable to Uniden Service Inc.

Customer contact information

Return ship-to physical address

Programming fee; $30 for basic, $85 for TrunkTracker

Programming turn-time of 5 to 7 business days in-house

Ship-to information; via traceable means to:

Uniden Service Inc.
4700 Amon Carter Blvd.
Fort Worth , Texas 76155
Attn: Repair - Scanner Programming (Very Important)
Hmm... I wonder where they get their info if you forget to provide the freqs? :D

I can see a bunch of "migrant workers" in the corner of a dark room with flashlights, gallon jugs of water and callous fingertips.

(Just kidding Upman)

Otto

What's wrong with Uniden providing a "programming" service?

And if you can't provide the "freq's" they can look it up here...

Payment should accompany request
That makes sense to me.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
These new scanners can be intimidating for nub's to figure out. It's a good service they provide. The price is about right with the hourly labor involved loading your info into the software to program it plus uniden turning a profit as well.

Still doesn't beat doing research and doing it by hand.

John_M

I received the same email. Preferred customer email or something like that. Some people just want to listen they don't want to bother with a computor to program their radio.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Many more people find the Uniden dynamic memory too tough to figure out, because they are used to banks and channels. I see more of them on Radioreference requesting for help every day.

The only problem with a programming service is that you may only get the basic local frequencies and trunked system ID's. Then you may also run the risk of getting only conventional frequencies programmed in because your local trunked system is a ProVoice, Open Sky, etc. and a letter that says your scanner can not track that type of trunked system.

For those who can't read an owners manual or program a VCR, the programming service is right up their alley.

Go-24

Thats their right to offer the service and charge what they want to, but geesh using software to connect to the RR database both system types are equally easy to program so I dont understand the huge price difference between system types; not for a second to I believe they are programming these by hand.

STiMULi

STiMULi said:
I got this in an email from Uniden today :) (Just kidding Upman)
That was not the entire email... :)

Not all Uniden scanners have a computer interface.

Besides that it was my attempt at humor :roll:

joetnymedic

bluesman, I got ya beat - I'll do it for 1/2 with 24 hr turn around - LOL!!!

Please nobody send me your scanner - trust me this was a small attempt at a joke

Joe T

kf4lne

joetnymedic said:

Please nobody send me your scanner - trust me this was a small attempt at a joke

Joe T

i need a new scanner...72 hours and $40, plus shipping. I cannot be responsable for any scanner that turns into a turnip during return shipping.

wesct

joetnymedic said:

Joe T
your supposed to tell him "double the price and 50% off"

wesct

red8

radio shack will do it for free if you buy it from them. when i had my
pro96 i took it to the local store and the guy put in the input freqs
when i go it back home i then put the right freqs

Bill2k

red8 said:
radio shack will do it for free if you buy it from them. when i had my
pro96 i took it to the local store and the guy put in the input freqs
when i go it back home i then put the right freqs