Uniden X36 Simulcast Performance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bberns22

Ben,

THANK YOU! Great job on the comparison. You say you are planning to make another video. If I can offer a suggestion, and if it's possible, try and get some samples while mobile. My personal experience with Philly is that reception is in and out as I move due to the simulcast issues. I've experienced this with my Pro-197, 396XT and PSR-800. If you want, I may be able to lend you some assistance if you want/need. I can drive while you work the scanner perhaps? Send me a PM if you want to discuss it further. I am VERY interested in how this plays out, as I'm sure a bunch of my clients are as well...

It's clear - especially compared to the 996 - the Uniden is a winner

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
For anyone around Louisville Ky, I did a test today on the Metrosafe system while driving home from the Ham Station. It was direct out of box with no FW update and the factory antenna, utilizing the cigarette lighter plug. Metrosafe is a Phase 1 P25 simulcast that has had terrible conditions on most scanners. My Pro-106 was almost not worth listening to with the amount of garbled transmissions. Others had a little better luck with Unidens but still not great.

I drove complete across the city with the BCD536HP and did not have the first garbled transmission!! It was perfect!! I am very excited about this. I truly believe them when they say they have worked on the simulcast issues. No problems at all for me, even downtown Louisville between large buildings.

wise871

Database Admin
I sure hope someone in Atlanta gets one soon. I'm very interested in how it performs. So far all the results have been great.

KC0CSE

For anyone around Louisville Ky, I did a test today on the Metrosafe system while driving home from the Ham Station. It was direct out of box with no FW update and the factory antenna, utilizing the cigarette lighter plug. Metrosafe is a Phase 1 P25 simulcast that has had terrible conditions on most scanners. My Pro-106 was almost not worth listening to with the amount of garbled transmissions. Others had a little better luck with Unidens but still not great.

I drove complete across the city with the BCD536HP and did not have the first garbled transmission!! It was perfect!! I am very excited about this. I truly believe them when they say they have worked on the simulcast issues. No problems at all for me, even downtown Louisville between large buildings.

ok I'm starting to get sold. I'm looking at my PayPal account

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Here is a link to my youtube posting comparing the Uniden BCD536HP / GRE PSR-800 / Uniden 996 on the Philadelphia P25 simulcast system. ‏. The Uniden 536 is superior to the PSR 800 and dramatically better than the 996. I will have more comparisons to come - but for Philly the new Uniden is excellent - this system is very difficult to monitor

Uniden BCD536HP vs GRE PSR-800 vs Uniden 996 Police Scanners - YouTube

I noticed in the video that the PSR-800 attenuator GA was on. Otherwise the BCD536HP does sound pretty good.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Hopefully I will have my 436 in a few days, and I will do a video of the Morris County, NJ UHF P25 system. I used to experience a lot of what Benjamin showed on his example with the 996 (unit stopping on TGID's & not passing any audio, even when on the outer-edge of the system).

There are other NJ users that can't even get the current generation of Unidens to decode when in-county at full signal. Hopefully this will convince them...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

Very comforting and encouraging! Can't waut until Tuesday when mine arrives!

mancow

Database Admin
That Philly test is flawless. If that's how it handles other systems I think we have a winner.

dmo92593

Great comparison thank you. I'm in Philly as well what is your squelch at? I'm impatiently waiting for my 436 to come in.

troymail

Silent Key
Here is a link to my youtube posting comparing the Uniden BCD536HP / GRE PSR-800 / Uniden 996 on the Philadelphia P25 simulcast system. ‏. The Uniden 536 is superior to the PSR 800 and dramatically better than the 996. I will have more comparisons to come - but for Philly the new Uniden is excellent - this system is very difficult to monitor

Uniden BCD536HP vs GRE PSR-800 vs Uniden 996 Police Scanners - YouTube

I didn't notice a significant difference between the 536 and the 800. However, there was a clear/huge difference between the 536 and the 996.

I noticed in the video that the PSR-800 attenuator GA was on. Otherwise the BCD536HP does sound pretty good.

Saw the "GA" also. How close are you to the various towers/transmitters? What happens if you turn the attenuation off?

bberns22

I didn't notice a significant difference between the 536 and the 800. However, there was a clear/huge difference between the 536 and the 996.

Saw the "GA" also. How close are you to the various towers/transmitters? What happens if you turn the attenuation off?

I live less than 1 mile from one tower - not much of a difference with attenuator off - occasional overload - so I keep it on. My PSR-800 is headed for a viking funeral next week - may light it up with all my other older scanners.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
As I mentioned on the Phase II/X2-TDMA Voice thread, you can still monitor the relative error counts like you were able to do on the XT models by pressing Func+tap scroll, <squelch>, Func+tap scroll again.

Status
Not open for further replies.