Uniden X36 Simulcast Performance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Would it be possible to consolidate the topic of simulcast performance of the new units to this thread so it doesn't get muddled up in the mix of all the other topics?

I think a few of us are teetering on the edge of a purchase but are really wanting to know how they perform where other units struggled or outright didn't work.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I know I'll probably get beat up again, but here are the 2 videos of a BCD536HP receiiving a Phase 2 700 MHz simulcast...

BCD536HP_2 - YouTube

BCD536HP_1 - YouTube

This is real world scanning using a 2m/70cm mag mount antenna.

I look forward to other reports/videos so we can compare results.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I think I will stick this thread for a little while so that feedback can be given
for both the BCD436HP and BCD536HP.
Do understand that any off topic posts will be deleted.
Marshall KE4ZNR

SquierStrat

excellent idea for a thread! since this will be the sole deciding factor on whether i buy this scanner or not, (396xt does everything i need besides this) its nice to have 1 "go to" place for everything regarding this!

KC9NEG

Thanks for this thread. I'm also in the "sole factor for buying these radios" camp when it comes to simulcast performance. If new Uniden hardware will improve my feed's audio, I'll buy. If not, no reason to. I really look forward to everyone's evaluation, particularly anyone here in central Indiana monitoring IDPS System 1.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
I understood that there were two somewhat different simulcast interference cases:
LSM CQPSK and non-LSM C4FM.
If so, then it would help to have performance reports say which case is being tested.

But how do I know if any particular simulcast system is LSM or non-LSM?

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
If a system is non-LSM then its not simulcast. C4FM modulation is non-simulcast P25 Phase I. CQPSK modulation is simulcast P25 Phase I. CQPSK (simulcast) is where scanners have digital simulcast distortion problems.

Last edited:

phillydjdan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.0.4; LG-MS870 Build/IMM76L) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

Ok, but the question is, how do we tell which type a particular system is using? The RR database does not specify this info.

Citywide6

Premium Subscriber
CQPSK modulation is simulcast P25 Phase I. CQPSK (simulcast) is where scanners have digital simulcast distortion problems.

And that is the key question for my area. The Sheriff Dept. in Dane County Wisconsin, and the municpalities on the county system, will convert to a Harris P25 simulcast system in a month or so. The base stations will transmit simulcast CQPSK (the mobiles are C4FM). Will the new Uniden's be able to properly and easily decode this system? My 996XT even with the most recent upgrade to 1.07.03 only coughs up an occassional snippet of garbled audio. UPman can you give us any info?

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber

wise871

Database Admin
Seems the topic is getting off track. I thought it was suppose to be used for reporting simulcast performance on the new Uniden scanners?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Seems the topic is getting off track. I thought it was suppose to be used for reporting simulcast performance on the new Uniden scanners?

Yep. From my previous post:

Do understand that any off topic posts will be deleted.
Marshall KE4ZNR

You have been warned. Please help keep this thread on topic.
Thanks and happy monitoring! :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber

There should be some common understanding of what is to be reported
In particular, I'm suggesting that the type of simulcast system being received should be reported along with the scanner performance.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Report the system, site, receive conditions, and receive quality. Posting the recording would be good, too.

If you haven't noticed, I am absolutely not going to make a claim of how well the scanner will work. I only have the experiences of myself and beta testers. While these reports do cover multiple receive sites on multiple systems, they are not all encompassing. I am pleased with the reports I've gotten, but YMMV.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Not to clutter up this thread needlessly, but I think a side by side comparison with an older model is helpful also. For example, here in Phoenix I may find that I still have some issues receiving the RWC, but compared to my BC796D the new scanner might work much better. I intend to include such a side-by-side comparison in my report/review. Based on what we've seen (and heard) so far in the videos that have been posted, I'm reasonably certain that I'll see a dramatic improvement on this system. Can't wait! Hurry up and ship these things out, Paul! :)

-AZ

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Report the system, site, receive conditions, and receive quality. Posting the recording would be good, too.

To add to what Paul posted...

I would like this thread to be reports/videos/audio ONLY...but I'm not in charge. :D

If it gets filled up with banter back and forth (like this post) all the reports will get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.