Uniden X36 Simulcast Performance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

From the referenced post (emphasis mine):
Just quickly for the folks with simulcast issues, A local department uses a simulcast conventional P25 repeater. It sounded like garbage on the 996XT and 396XT as some may already be aware. On the 536HP, this issue goes away.

That is a VERY encouraging report for those of us still eagerly awaiting our new radios. I'm really looking forward to this radio now, even more so than I was already.

-AZ

fmulder13

So far reports of performance on various p25 systems seem encouraging. However, I have yet to see anything on systems with CQPSK modulation (LSM), where it appears the greatest difficulty is. Have I missed anything from UPman or the admins, or are we just waiting for the fearless first users to get their brand new units this week?

A word to the wise, it would be very helpful I think if we made sure to differentiate between modulations in the reports. Of course not all RR database entries include modulation on the sites, but when known CQPSK modulation is encountered, it would be great if folks would indicate as such. I'm sure those of us who are on the fence about upgrading (such as myself) would find superb performance on a tough CQPSK modulation site/system VERRRRRY convincing! :)

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
So far reports of performance on various p25 systems seem encouraging. However, I have yet to see anything on systems with CQPSK modulation (LSM), where it appears the greatest difficulty is. Have I missed anything from UPman or the admins, or are we just waiting for the fearless first users to get their brand new units this week?

A word to the wise, it would be very helpful I think if we made sure to differentiate between modulations in the reports. Of course not all RR database entries include modulation on the sites, but when known CQPSK modulation is encountered, it would be great if folks would indicate as such. I'm sure those of us who are on the fence about upgrading (such as myself) would find superb performance on a tough CQPSK modulation site/system VERRRRRY convincing! :)

The videos in post #4 are from a LSM site in Phase 2 TDMA.

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...simulcast-performance-thread.html#post2106425

fmulder13

Thank you, KevinC! The RR database did not specify if the site in the videos were CQPSK or C4FM. Glad to see we already have CQPSK evidence!

wise871

Database Admin

Attachments

• Sample Audio.zip
    132.9 KB · Views: 188

garys

Premium Subscriber
The sheriff is encrypted, as you know. So is Orange Beach. When I was down there last summer, I got the best copy on Med Star Ambulance. Because they are all over southern Baldwin, they come up on multiple towers simultaneously. So does the sheriff, but it does us no good. The towns only come up on the closest tower, so the system is definitely not simulcast.

Here is a quick audio from the Alabama First Responder Network Trunking System, Varies, Alabama - Scanner Frequencies. I was still far away and only had 3 bars. I know it's not exactly what your wanting but I was unable to monitor this system before. It was a very quite day and the only activity was encrypted. I was monitoring the Baldwin County systems only and it's very short audio.

wise871

Database Admin
I know it's not simulcast but wanted to provided something for now as far as digital performance. Before the only scanner that could monitor the system was the PSR-800.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Folks: Lets keep this thread on topic please.
If you don't have Simulcast Performance samples to share
with the forum then don't post in this thread period.

Any more off topic posts will be deleted.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

bberns22

Philadelphia Simulcast P25 System

By Feb 1st I will post a youtube video, with a link here, on the performance of both the 436 and 536 here in Philly (many simulcast complaints on our P25 system). For comparison I have:

- WINRADIO WR-G305e (latest P25 firmware release last week)
- GRE PSR800
- GRE PSR500
- Uniden 996

Ben

KC0CSE

By Feb 1st I will post a youtube video, with a link here, on the performance of both the 436 and 536 here in Philly (many simulcast complaints on our P25 system). For comparison I have:

- GRE PSR800
- GRE PSR500
- Uniden 996

Ben

Thank you we cant wait!!

phillydjdan

- GRE PSR800
- GRE PSR500
- Uniden 996

Ben

That's the one I'm waiting for! Can't wait to see it!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I should have my 436/536 combo on Monday. I'll give a report regarding the 436/536 ability to monitor the Ohio Co Simulcast site of WVSIRN. Ever since this simulcast came online, I have been unable to monitor it with a PRO-197, PSR-500 or PSR-800. From my location (with all sites in one direction to the S/SE of me), I doubt a commercial radio would get a great decode from here. But I'm certain I'll be able to tell if the performance of the 436/536 are better than that of the GRE guts I currently use.

Mike

Brentorious

I know it's not simulcast but wanted to provided something for now as far as digital performance. Before the only scanner that could monitor the system was the PSR-800.

I live in Orange Beach and monitor using a PSR-500 to monitor the Alabama First Responder Network. There are talk groups that are not TDMA. I have experienced absolutely no simulcast problems since moving here in Oct. I do know what it is, and I experienced it in the DFW area. It may be that you need to get further into Baldwin County and be in between towers in order to test for simulcast performance. Maybe I haven't experienced it because I'm right on the edge of the system.

My 536 is supposed to arrive on Monday.

szron

My 536 arrived today.

It scans MPSCS Wayne Co Simulcast site flawlessly!

Such an improvement from Pro-106 you wouldn't believe!

mharris

536HP Simulcast Performance

Definite improvement on the COIRS system here in Central Ohio, but still not 100%. Will post more later tonight.

KC0CSE

My 536 arrived today.

It scans MPSCS Wayne Co Simulcast site flawlessly!

Such an improvement from Pro-106 you wouldn't believe!

I want to know more....I have a Pro -106 also...my area has P-25 simulcast problems...the 106 does ok if you move it around to the right spot....is this so with the new unit? or it is what it is,....works anywhere?...need more information before I go into debt...thank you..

UPDATE: I just checked your area.....you do not have a "SIMULCAST" system...no where do I see simulcast am I wrong?...you have: Project 25 Phase 1 that's it...nothing about simulcast....So not a fair test at all....thank you anyway for trying..

Last edited:

bberns22

Philadelphia P25 Simulcast on The Uniden 536 - Video

Here is a link to my youtube posting comparing the Uniden BCD536HP / GRE PSR-800 / Uniden 996 on the Philadelphia P25 simulcast system. ‏. The Uniden 536 is superior to the PSR 800 and dramatically better than the 996. I will have more comparisons to come - but for Philly the new Uniden is excellent - this system is very difficult to monitor

Uniden BCD536HP vs GRE PSR-800 vs Uniden 996 Police Scanners - YouTube

Last edited:

phillydjdan

Here is a link to my youtube posting comparing the Uniden BCD536HP / GRE PSR-800 / Uniden 996 on the Philadelphia P25 simulcast system. ‏. The Uniden 536 is superior to the PSR 800 and dramatically better than the 996. I will have more comparisons to come - but for Philly the new Uniden is excellent - this system is very difficult to monitor

Ben,

THANK YOU! Great job on the comparison. You say you are planning to make another video. If I can offer a suggestion, and if it's possible, try and get some samples while mobile. My personal experience with Philly is that reception is in and out as I move due to the simulcast issues. I've experienced this with my Pro-197, 396XT and PSR-800. If you want, I may be able to lend you some assistance if you want/need. I can drive while you work the scanner perhaps? Send me a PM if you want to discuss it further. I am VERY interested in how this plays out, as I'm sure a bunch of my clients are as well...

KC0CSE

now that's the test I'm looking for!! great job...and yes that is a "simulcast" system. the 800 did not do to bad though. But thank you for taking the time for the rest of us on the fence...im waiting for more tests..

Status
Not open for further replies.