UnidenBC346XTC battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yash22

I have the the Uniden BC346XTC which is a discontinoued model. I wanted to ask current owners or anyone who knows how this scanner works, how do they keep their radio on all day if the battery dies so quickly. I have to constantly keep mine plugged in. I put in AA alkaline but they don't last even 5 hours. I also have recharge able batteries that I can put in and charge them in the scanner(just plug the scanner in while the batteries are in the scanner) but they don't last much either. Should I buy better rechargeable batteries such as ones that have like 3.7v each. Right now I'm using 3 AA rechargeable batteries that have about 1.2v. But I am worried if I put batteries that are 3.7v, they might burn out the scanner or somthing. After all it is an expensive scanner. I want to make the scanner recharge able but yield a long battery life. Lithium ions?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Doubling battery voltage will fry the scanner.

Get a USB battery pack of the type used to recharge cellphones, and use that to run the scanner. The larger the mAH rating, the longer it will power the scanner.

Yash22

Doubling battery voltage will fry the scanner.

Get a USB battery pack of the type used to recharge cellphones, and use that to run the scanner. The larger the mAH rating, the longer it will power the scanner.

Thanks you for your quick response, but do you Know where I can buy one with a high camoacity. Links would be appreciated

Yash22

And if I were to get a USB battery pack, how would I hook that into the scanner. The scanner has slots for 3 AA batteries

wtp

and

get an external charger. one that can check the capacity of each cell.
all cells are not made equal, and the capacity goes down with time and use.
it could even be just one cell is weaker.

Yash22

get an external charger. one that can check the capacity of each cell.
all cells are not made equal, and the capacity goes down with time and use.
it could even be just one cell is weaker.

What do you mean by external charger? I'm sorry I'm new to this type of stuff.
Maybe if you could give me a link. And with the cells, they are brand new. I think they are just not enough for the scanner

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
And if you truly have a 346XTC and not a 346XT, keep in mind you can't charge the batteries internally.

BC346XTC < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

The BC346XTC is functionally the same as the BC346XT with the following exceptions:
In order to comply with California Energy Commission rules, the battery charging function has been removed.
Rechargeable batteries are not included with the product.
The battery charge time option has been deleted.
The battery select switch has been removed from the battery compartment.

Yash22

And if you truly have a 346XTC and not a 346XT, keep in mind you can't charge the batteries internally.

BC346XTC < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

The BC346XTC is functionally the same as the BC346XT with the following exceptions:
In order to comply with California Energy Commission rules, the battery charging function has been removed.
Rechargeable batteries are not included with the product.
The battery charge time option has been deleted.
The battery select switch has been removed from the battery compartment.

It seems like I have the XT not the C but the battery life is still horrible. I want to know if I can get a better battery or maybe a external battery. But if I get a external, how would I hook it in

wtp

just got up

MH-C9000 - Maha Energy

that is the one i bought years ago and i am very happy with it.
it was $70 at batteries plus. you could shop around.
about once a month i check the capacity in the cells and match them up.
one weird thing about rechargeable batteries is that when low they can reverse charge when in use.
so if the "set" of batteries is about the same it would stop this and give you the longest run time.
in a year of use my 2500 now have 1800 or so left in them.
my radio uses 3 cells so i just put them in pairs of 3.
12 cells so easy math.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I would have the opinion there is a problem with the scanner, I get at least 12 hours on (3) Alkaline batteries in my Uniden346XT and at least 10 hours on Energizer AA 2500mah rechargeables....

Yash22

I would have the opinion there is a problem with the scanner, I get at least 12 hours on (3) Alkaline batteries in my Uniden346XT and at least 10 hours on Energizer AA 2500mah rechargeables....

Thank you, i think i am going to get the scanner checked out

Status
Not open for further replies.