• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Uniden's 396T flawed backlighting mentality

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg9qm

Member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
65
Well, OK, it's universal... I find the backlighting inadequate on the BCD396T.

First it's blue. Pretty? Yes. Practical? No. A couple white LEDs would have been SOO much better. Switchable to red color would have been perhaps nice for anyone concerned with their night-vision. Blue just doesn't work for these old eyes of mine. The LCD segments don't show up as well with blue backlighting.

Second, the options for 'on time' should be separated from the 'trigger by'. I wish I could change how long it stays on after a squelch trigger. 'On while squelch open' ought to be a choice, instead of only staying lit for 5 seconds or whatever on the initial trigger.

Third, The function button and scroll-knob don't trigger the light.

Fourth, 'Light on with charger' would be handy.

Maybe there's someone from Uniden watching, who'll consider these suggestions.
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,911
Location
Katy, TX
kg9qm said:
Well, OK, it's universal... I find the backlighting inadequate on the BCD396T. ...
:lol:
Hardly universal; since I (and others) like the blue, I guess "universal" is somewhat overstating it a bit. :wink:
 

kg9qm

Member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
65
loumaag said:
:lol:
Hardly universal; since I (and others) like the blue, I guess "universal" is somewhat overstating it a bit. :wink:
'Universal' as in, all handhelds are pretty much the same.
 

XTS3000

Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
1,064
I agree 100%. The backlight should stay on according to how long you have the hold delay is set for. Have my hold time at 6 seconds, but the light goes out after 3 seconds or so.
 

Viper43

Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2005
Messages
3,301
You'll never please everyone.... to that end I like the blue over other choices for the LCD backlight
 

af5rn

Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2008
Messages
1,059
Location
N. Tex / S. Fla
I like the blue myself, but yeah, it's impossible to see at angles. You have to be looking almost dead on, which is difficult while driving at night.

What I wish was that the "red" was actually red. Why the hell do they call it red when it is amber?
 

linuxwrangler

Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2006
Messages
233
Location
Contra Costa County, CA
kg9qm said:
First it's blue. Pretty? Yes. Practical? No. A couple white LEDs would have been SOO much better. Switchable to red color would have been perhaps nice for anyone concerned with their night-vision. Blue just doesn't work for these old eyes of mine. The LCD segments don't show up as well with blue backlighting.
Probably personal preference. My 50-year-old eyes have no objection to the color. The coolest (read, most expensive) option would be to use variable-color LEDs for the backlight and make color a user-choice.

kg9qm said:
Second, the options for 'on time' should be separated from the 'trigger by'. I wish I could change how long it stays on after a squelch trigger. 'On while squelch open' ought to be a choice, instead of only staying lit for 5 seconds or whatever on the initial trigger.
Agreed. Even worse is when you have several sequential transmissions on different channels of a trunked system and the light turns off after the first transmission.

kg9qm said:
Third, The function button and scroll-knob don't trigger the light.
I'll have to recheck with my current firmware. I seem to recall that when the keypad lock is on, the scroll knob does light the backlight. (Can't check right now, scanner is in for repair.)

kg9qm said:
Fourth, 'Light on with charger' would be handy.
True.
 

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
935
Location
Elk City, Oklahoma
Why not go with GE's new intelligence system, you could choose from 65,000 colors, and they could strobe for you.
 

afdscan

Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
232
Location
Central Indiana
I have both the GRE digital scanners... yes they have options, but this thread happens to about the Uniden 396T! The color preference is not the issue. It's about being able to see the readout clearly. I personally like the blue, but I must admit it is hard to read during the day and especially at night. Uniden will do well to offer options of background colors... maybe this could be included in the next upgrade.
 

VE3RADIO

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
1,237
Location
Planet Earth
I like it.. but i have a mobile for the car.. so reading the display at night while driving is not an issue for me..
 

GTO_04

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
1,776
Viper43 said:
You'll never please everyone.... to that end I like the blue over other choices for the LCD backlight
I prefer the 396 LCD also, including the backlight. It is by far the easiest of the LCDs for me to read. I am not a big fan of amber backlights at all.

GTO_04
 

delta_p

Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
135
kg9qm said:
'On while squelch open' ought to be a choice, instead of only staying lit for 5 seconds or whatever on the initial trigger.
That's not an option because of the continuous lighting that would occur as a result of sitting on the control channel for a trunked system. I would think it has to be by timer.


PP
 

kg9qm

Member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
65
delta_p said:
That's not an option because of the continuous lighting that would occur as a result of sitting on the control channel for a trunked system. I would think it has to be by timer.


PP
Control channels don't open the squelch when trunked scanning/searching is in operation, except in cases where the control channel sneaks in there occasionally. In my experience, the 396 still doesn't hang up there but moves on to a voice channel.
 

slicerwizard

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2002
Messages
5,349
Location
Toronto, Ontario
kg9qm said:
Control channels don't open the squelch when trunked scanning/searching is in operation
They most certainly do. They just doesn't enable the audio amp.

It's still no excuse for the backlight not working properly.
 

kg9qm

Member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
65
slicerwizard said:
They most certainly do. They just doesn't enable the audio amp.
QUOTE]

Eh? And 'squelch' is..., what? There's a circuit that changes state when there's audio vs when there's not. So one state makes 'light on', the other makes 'light off'. A squelch by any other name...
 

Airdorn

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
428
kg9qm said:
slicerwizard said:
They most certainly do. They just doesn't enable the audio amp.
QUOTE]

Eh? And 'squelch' is..., what? There's a circuit that changes state when there's audio vs when there's not. So one state makes 'light on', the other makes 'light off'. A squelch by any other name...
If I cut the scanner's speaker wire the squelch still opens and closes and the radio reacts and does what its supposed to do. So that's kinda the same as the squelch being open but the audio amp being off.
 

kg9qm

Member
Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
65
Well, we can split hairs about what is or isn't 'squelch.' The simple fact is, the audio turns on and off in response to the received signal.

Normal trunked reception doesn't stop on or turn on the audio for a control channel. Except occasionally when things don't work just right - but then only briefly. Usually. So, having the backlight get stuck 'on' when there's a control channel is not a problem as was suggested.
 

oldtymer

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
25
Location
Mount Brydges (near London) Ontario.
My solution to backlighting.

I like the blue backlighting but it is very difficult for me to read the numbers. I think the amber backlight is much easier to read. I guess if you only listen to one channel then the backlighting isn't a concern as you know what the LCD will say and you don't have to look at it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top