Uniden's New Product Called Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
That's bad ass!

My only concern is the shape. How are you supposed to mount that thing in a console? I sure hope they make a hand held (normal handheld shape) version and a regular retangular DIN style unit.

Did you see the picture of it next to the BCD396? It's small. I'll bet you could do mobile with some kind of GPS mount or maybe Mount Guys will have something for it?

Viper43

VernM;1337004Nations said:
Fortunately the post 9/11 funds the feds were handing out like candy for new radio systems have for the most part dried up and most communities didn't encrypt much and with the present economy most can't afford too either. Even the Indiana State Police can't get enough radios encrypted to run certain operations using it.... can't run a drug op when only one or two officers have encryption on their radios and the other 3 to 5 officers don't have it. Even a bad economy can have it's good points!

V

Voyager

I couldn't have said it better myself. It IS exactly what many people need.

Joe M.

Actually, it is exactly what this hobby needs.
The number one issue I encounter when helping
anyone get started in the monitoring hobby these
days is the knowledge it takes just to understand the
basics of the radio systems used and how it relates
to the $500 radio they just purchased.
The beginner user just wants the radio to work straight
out of the box without needing an engineering degree
to know how to listen to their local PD/Fire/EMS.
If our beloved hobby is to survive and grow, we need to
be able to make sure we include everyone from beginner
to advanced users.
I am sure Uniden will have advanced features available
for those of us inclined to use Home Patrol that way.
I would also ask everyone to wait until the full details
of the product are released as I am sure there will be
still some as yet undocumented features
that all will love.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Voyager

Where are you getting the 8 zip codes and 1 trunk system? I haven't seen that anywhere before your post.

Do you have the specs? If so, can you post them?

Joe M.

I have to agree with both sides of the issue with this. A lot of people will want it to work right out of the box but I see what others are saying here. I like the ability to listen to more than 8 zip codes and more than one trunking system at any given time plus the ability to tag it and set it up the way I want it.

73s

Chad

markbart

The new scanner is basically program free! Just enter a zip code and listen. It scans digital and analog with a color screen. Pictures to come later!
Not all of us are able to afford and operate a BCT 996XLT.I wish I Could do both but my eyes aren't what they used to be

plus I have a flat wallet.It looks great and sounds like it would be a great radio to own but still a dream.

Last edited:

Voyager

Likely for the same reason current models don't - price. Why raise the unit's price on a feature not everyone will want.

Of course, an optional internal GPS might work.

Joe M.

Does it decode TDMA or Motorola's pre-TDMA format? I won't be buying anymore scanners until I can get one that's capable of that.

Why wasn't a GPS made integral? It doesn't need the mapping capability, just the ability to read the GPS signals to determine location. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used a GPS with my 996T/396XT. It's just not convenient, especially since most of the time I'm mobile I'm on a motorcycle. Last thing I need is cables running all over the place.

Viper43

Not all of us are able to afford and operate a BCT 996XLT.I wish I Could do both but my eyes aren't what they used to be

plus I have a flat wallet.

From the pictures I think you will be able to read the screen, it does look larger than 996's screen

V

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I'm a very experienced scanner user, and can see myself getting one. I don't travel much, but it would be extremely handy as a "road trip" scanner for anyone, including experienced users, that don't want to look up and prorgram every county along a days long trip. Imagine it hooked to GPS and automatically tuning to the type of scanning you want to do. The record/play back feature is very cool, and I hope that makes it over to the XT lineup soon. I often get asked what scanner to buy, from people who have no clue or interest in figuring out a traditional scanner. This will be an easy answer. Buy it, choose your location(s), choose what you want to listen to, and go. I listened to the Grand Prairie, TX P25 system briefly, but not enough to get a good comparison.

Someone mentioned that the RadioReference database will really need to be kept up todate or would require a lot of work, especially in regards to GPS coordinates. That is true, but much have that has already been done, and been in the works for some time now. For many of us, part of what we enjoy most about the hobby is figuring out and sharing scanning information. As I watched the screen on the demo unit, I thought, hey I helped define/describe that system or channel on RadioReference. That's cool to be a part of what even more people will enjoy now.
Happy Scanning,
Ben

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Does look nifty , anyone know anything about how well it can be used for Mil Air bands ? does it have selectable modes in these bands , can you setup your own bank or group? can you manually select channels or frequecies quickly?
Im actually surprised manufactures are still throwng cash at developing these things with encryption spreading so widescale so fast its gonna be more like taxi & drive thru window patrol ,...but still , its neat

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It looks like something that goes on a night table. Does it work as an alarm clock too?

[EDIT] If not, maybe a firmware update to add a snooze button to the touch screen?

Last edited:

Voyager

At first, I was expecting a model similar to the PRO-107/PSR-700, but this looks like it takes the same concept, adds digital, adds a huge color touchscreen, and perhaps does much more. Oh, and makes it base/mobile rather than portable.

I am a little disappointed it's not a DIN type size (hence more difficult to mount in a console), but from the size of the screen it would have had to be a double-din.

For what must be a base/mobile scanner, it's pretty small overall. (of course, have you seen inside any DIN size scanner recently? It's mostly air.)

Joe M.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Why wasn't a GPS made integral? It doesn't need the mapping capability, just the ability to read the GPS signals to determine location. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used a GPS with my 996T/396XT. It's just not convenient, especially since most of the time I'm mobile I'm on a motorcycle. Last thing I need is cables running all over the place.

Probably because a GPS unit is not a necessity to use the Home Patrol.
All you need is a Zip Code or city name and the Home Patrol does the
rest.
Don't get me wrong, I am sure using a GPS along with the Home Patrol
only makes a great product better however it is an optional accessory.
Marshall KE4ZNR

puzzleriddle

It will handle P25 Digital (and of course analog) like the XT models of today.
Marshall KE4ZNR
IU will def buy 1 when it comes out.. whats deal on memory & updating the database?.. wlll there be any software If needed?

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Where is the EXTERNAL antenna jack?

I would assume that all you would need to do is remove the
antenna shown in all the pictures so far and you could hook
up any type of antenna you wish.
Looks to be a possible SMA connection.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Highpockets

Probably because a GPS unit is not a necessity to use the Home Patrol.
All you need is a Zip Code or city name and the Home Patrol does the
rest.
Don't get me wrong, I am sure using a GPS along with the Home Patrol
only makes a great product better however it is an optional accessory.
Marshall KE4ZNR

If it was great, I'd like it. :D

Voyager

There is a second video on YouTube now that shows something interesting.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yjGuZteT8o>

It shows the unit OPERATING without power plugged in!

Joe M.

Status
Not open for further replies.