Uniden's new "retro" shortwave desktop receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Real world possibility for Uniden

I'll probably make this my last on the subject because it could just go on forever.

We'll never get back to the big-rx days, but I think Uniden's CB department might just be able to pull this off at a price point to make it worth it, and plenty of already established modern distribution methods.

When I look inside the BC-980SSB cb unit, it looks remarkably similar to the insides of my late-model Target HF3. A hybrid if you will, of smc and discrete components.

So, if the 980SSB cb unit had the transmitter circuitry removed, replaced with shortwave rx guts, and given some NICE quality pots, GOOD AUDIO (bipolar electrolytics and the like) and large VFO (heck, even use the simple "castle knob" gates like the vfo on the HF3, you might have something that wouldn't cost through the roof, and could actually compete with the Alinco.

Just a simple 6k, 2.4k, and 500hz filter, that doesn't have to be at the top of the Sherwood spec list, but not at the bottom either, maybe a few memories and that's it. No need to get fancy - there are other radios for that. If anything, tweak the performance for sw/utility/amateur listeners, and not try to "make listening to London as easy as using your phone". The inevitable comparison to the DX-1000 will be jumped on by competitors, so be ready. :)

I really think this could be done, if corners aren't cut to make it a yawner out of the gate. C'mon Uniden, I know you know what I'm talking about.

pjxii

I'll probably make this my last on the subject because it could just go on forever.

We'll never get back to the big-rx days, but I think Uniden's CB department might just be able to pull this off at a price point to make it worth it, and plenty of already established modern distribution methods.

When I look inside the BC-980SSB cb unit, it looks remarkably similar to the insides of my late-model Target HF3. A hybrid if you will, of smc and discrete components.

So, if the 980SSB cb unit had the transmitter circuitry removed, replaced with shortwave rx guts, and given some NICE quality pots, GOOD AUDIO (bipolar electrolytics and the like) and large VFO (heck, even use the simple "castle knob" gates like the vfo on the HF3, you might have something that wouldn't cost through the roof, and could actually compete with the Alinco.

Just a simple 6k, 2.4k, and 500hz filter, that doesn't have to be at the top of the Sherwood spec list, but not at the bottom either, maybe a few memories and that's it. No need to get fancy - there are other radios for that. If anything, tweak the performance for sw/utility/amateur listeners, and not try to "make listening to London as easy as using your phone". The inevitable comparison to the DX-1000 will be jumped on by competitors, so be ready. :)

I really think this could be done, if corners aren't cut to make it a yawner out of the gate. C'mon Uniden, I know you know what I'm talking about.

In all seriousness, you really should contact Uniden with your ideas on this. With your evaluation of Uniden's own circuitry and understanding of electronics, plus your own experience as a HF listener (all aspects from shortwave listening to amateur contests) your NOT just bringing Santa a wish list, you'd be presenting a valid and potentially successful design idea.

A friend of my stepson was a car junkie and contacted an auto manufacturer with a design idea. Not only did they like it, they hired him to work on it further with the company, Really, Hertz, you should pursue this on a serious level.

nanZor

I don't know if UPman travels down this far in the forum - perhaps something like that should pass by him first, but I'm not going to bug him.

I'm always open to PM. But yeah, the goal is to make both user AND manufacturer happy. Pride of ownership and pride of manufacturing, with a dose of reality thrown in could work.

nanZor

Bearcat DX 1000 VFO

Wow - check out the old-school VFO in the 1000: like my HF3, it is a simple photodiode encoder with a weighted shaft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSWkHQAAVk

I've never put my hands on one, but it is an example of how with the proper weighting, one can achieve a great feel with an inexpensive vfo. Just provide a nicely machined shaft (but not so tight that it seizes in a few years) and you are done.

Oh, and unless you blow out the board, the vfo is likely to not be a concern for decades. No unobtainium vfo encoder to deal with later.

After seeing this, I'd be more than happy to use a retro-case DX-3000 with modern stuffing. :)

pjxii

Actually, my DX-1000's tuning knob froze up earler this year (it is 30+ years old now) and I had to send it out for repair.
Smooth as silk now...
Gonna watch that video later, thanks for posting it.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I've been tempted by the IC-8600 several times since it came available. It doesn't help that Universal Radio is so damn close. I usually end up buying something else, like a IC-7300, a NRD-535D and a IC-R71A. Maybe later ....

Status
Not open for further replies.