UNITRUNKER Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Sill confused on how to use this. All I'm wanting to do is select a specific SITE (Tower) and monitor it to see what TGID's are using that specific SITE. I have my receiver setup done, I believe. RTL2832U R820T RUNNING READY. I have the system selected that I want: APCO P25, BEE00-1A7, Texas Wide Area Radio Network (TxWARN) (P25), Groups 2717, Users 1004, Sites 75, SID 4563, Depth 4.

So far so good........I think. Now I just want to somehow select a specific SITE out of the 75 Sites available and then somehow start unitrunker to start scanning for live transmissions on the site I select and monitor TGIDs. I wanted to start with site 001-005 Humble as an example.

Months ago I must have gotten far enough to download system because I have all the sites showing up for this system but got lost after that. Since then I think my premium membership to radioreference expired so I may neeD to upgrade if I need to download system info again.

Anyway I feel like I'm close but need some final instructions from a guru to help me along the way
Appreciate any help and advise
Larry G

n5pwp

Larry, it sounds like all you need is the control channel frequency. From the RR table for TXWARN Humble is site 01-05. The control channel frequency is 852.7275. The red lettering indicates the main CC. The blue ones are alternate CCs. Enter the CC frequency into your Receiver VCO setup. I have monitored the Humble site form my location in Spring. This is how I was setup on the receiver side. Hopefully you've got the voice side setup properly. Without it you won't hear anything. You should still see the entries in the top table on UniTrunker. I have attached what my UT receiver VCO setup was. I don't use UT anymore since I got better performance using DSDPlus. UT seemed to be very picky about signal health. I have no such issues with DSDPlus.
Mike

Attachments

• Humble-Info.jpg
    Humble-Info.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Humble eye pattern.jpg
    Humble eye pattern.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Receiver Signal_P25_Nano_VCO.jpg
    Receiver Signal_P25_Nano_VCO.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Mike thank you very much! I started unitrunker this morning and it came right up with a green light and started monitoring Humble site without me doing anything. So I'm not sure how that happened but I'll play around with it now and figure it out. I verified that my settings were pretty much the same as yours. Now I will try from scratch with another system site and talkgroup that I have been trying to pickup on my rs-pro668 scanner with no luck. They supposedly went P25 sometime this year. I used to listen to them in the clear with a SDRSharp and an LTR but no longer. So I want to see with unitrunker if they are active where radioreference says they should be. School Bus Transportation. Type: Apco 25 ID: 92542-00A Label: Houston Independent School District (Project 25) Groups: 11 Sites: 3 SID: 9542 Depth: 4

I hate to give up on anything anymore so it bothers me until I figure it out.
Thank you so much for your help and I'm going to look at DSDPlus very soon but not until I first figure out unitrunker.

Thanks again
Larry G

Last edited:

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Ok Mike, success! It is working. I was probably not putting in the control channel in VCO under PARK. I'm seeing TGIDs in Call History now but no Green indicator in upper left corner of screen, it's red and maybe 3 or 4 bars. I assume I'm connected but the signal is weak but still good enough to verify active TGIDs which is what I wanted to accomplish. Probably too weak to pickup anything on my scanner here in Atascocita. Scanners must need stronger signals to work than RTL-SDR SDRSharp does.

Ok well thanks again
Larry G

n5pwp

Larry, glad you got what you wanted out of it. Yeah, I got lots of yellow and reds myself. I live on the other side of 59 from you near IAH. I mapped it out and would've thought I would get a strong signal here but it was up and down. After I read some more on here it sounded like I was a victim of Simulcast Distortion. The same signal form two different towers hitting my receive antenna at slightly different times and degrading the signal. You can look at the logs in UT and see how many errors you're getting. Although you get a good idea just from the colored indicator. I don't seem to have as big a problem using FMP/DSDPlus. I don' t know if their software handles the simulcast stuff better. I waited a long time for UT to go phase2 and finally gave up when the bright people on this forum came up with a solution through Osmocom's OP25 program. There is a lot of HumblePD as well as HPD at the airport on the Spring site. Although its probably even farther from you than the Humble site. Anyway, enjoy. I love these little dongles and the software that supports them.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.