• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Universal M400 decoder power supply help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have found an old Universal Radio M400 decoder in a box but there is no power supply for it, from what I've read it's 12volt but I can't find if it's positive or negative centre? Anyone know??

I cannot give you a definitive answer, however, generally, the center is positive and the outer ring is negative. You may also try contacting Universal directly, they are still in business.

I was thinking along the same lines as well but didn't want to risk damaging the unit. I've tried emailing Universal a while back but I never got a reply :-(.

it's center + marked on the supplied wall wart , manual calls for 11-16 volts @ 200ma, wall wart Universal supplied says 400ma

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
it's center + marked on the supplied wall wart , manual calls for 11-16 volts @ 200ma, wall wart Universal supplied says 400ma
which is totally safe. In fact the Universal wall wart might last a tad longer because it's going to run cooler.

Mike

N9JIG

Sheriff
If you have an ohm meter you can verify that it is center positive. If the ring side of the jack shorts to the case and the tip doesn't then the center is positive.

The majority of consumer electronics uses center positive but there are just enough oddballs out there to make it challenging sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.